Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Review Fold a cover G4 elite

Old 04-05-2013, 03:30 AM   #201
magnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MACS2
Name: Matt
magnetic11's Tacoma Gallery
I'm Near Charlotte Nc Now.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #202
VazBro is on a distinguished road

VazBro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic11 View Post
I'm Near Charlotte Nc Now.
Too bad. I wish you were local. I ordered it from Truck Alterations. Hopefully I will get it soon!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #203
rbowman is on a distinguished road
rbowman's Tacoma Gallery
I just purchased my fold-a-cover and Im pretty pumped about it. I purchased it from the foldacover website - http://www.foldacoverfactorystore.com/home.php originally it was $864 but they automatically give you $100 off and free shipping. Also with the promo code tacomaworld25 I got an extra $25 off. End price was $734 - compared to truckalterations $722, but was worth it to me because I was dealing with the manufacturer with no question of older models and a two year free warranty on all the parts. Also, the new models do not use adhesive glue for installation, instead they are clamps that work within the existing rail system.

But when I was talking to the sales people they said that they could not make a personal caddy because the wheel well was too far forward in the truck. I was wondering if anyone found another product that could work as a personal caddy? Or a jerry rigged solution for making a personal caddy?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #204

VazBro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbowman View Post
I just purchased my fold-a-cover and Im pretty pumped about it. I purchased it from the foldacover website - http://www.foldacoverfactorystore.com/home.php originally it was $864 but they automatically give you $100 off and free shipping. Also with the promo code tacomaworld25 I got an extra $25 off. End price was $734 - compared to truckalterations $722, but was worth it to me because I was dealing with the manufacturer with no question of older models and a two year free warranty on all the parts. Also, the new models do not use adhesive glue for installation, instead they are clamps that work within the existing rail system.

But when I was talking to the sales people they said that they could not make a personal caddy because the wheel well was too far forward in the truck. I was wondering if anyone found another product that could work as a personal caddy? Or a jerry rigged solution for making a personal caddy?
Actually I just bought mine for $722 from Truck alterations and it came with the latest hardware. Not only that, the shipper was Steffens Enterprises, the maker of Fold-A cover. I guess Truck Alteration takes the order and drop ship it directly from manufacturer!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #205
truckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant future
truckalter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VazBro View Post
Actually I just bought mine for $722 from Truck alterations and it came with the latest hardware. Not only that, the shipper was Steffens Enterprises, the maker of Fold-A cover. I guess Truck Alteration takes the order and drop ship it directly from manufacturer!
This is correct, FAC drop ships most of our orders...
Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #206
Future Tacoma is just really niceFuture Tacoma is just really niceFuture Tacoma is just really niceFuture Tacoma is just really nice
Marines:
Name: Jeff
Future Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
We are new to this forum so I hope I do this right. My wife and I just purchased a new 2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4wheel drive short box pickup. We will be using this vehicle as a daily commuter and for flyfishing, skiing, snowshoeing, etc. The G4 Elite cover looks like a great cover. We want something that is very secure and relatively water tight and that functions easily. We will not be hauling fourwheelers or bikes, etc. I have read many of the posts here so are much older and some are more recent. Suggestions on a purchase for us would be appreciated. I may also install a Weatherguard low profile locking tool box and bolt it through the bed floor in the future to store tools, snowchains, winter survival gear, but i want the cover first so it needs to be secure. What do you think. Thanks and have a great day.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #207
sandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sandjunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Tacoma View Post
We are new to this forum so I hope I do this right. My wife and I just purchased a new 2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4wheel drive short box pickup. We will be using this vehicle as a daily commuter and for flyfishing, skiing, snowshoeing, etc. The G4 Elite cover looks like a great cover. We want something that is very secure and relatively water tight and that functions easily. We will not be hauling fourwheelers or bikes, etc. I have read many of the posts here so are much older and some are more recent. Suggestions on a purchase for us would be appreciated. I may also install a Weatherguard low profile locking tool box and bolt it through the bed floor in the future to store tools, snowchains, winter survival gear, but i want the cover first so it needs to be secure. What do you think. Thanks and have a great day.
Fold a Cover G4 is going to be the most secure especially with a electric pop n lock tailgate lock. I have had no problems with mine in rain or snow leaking. It gives your bed the best security/flexibility out there.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #208
OverPar is on a distinguished road
Name: Dirt Guy
OverPar's Tacoma Gallery
Purchased from Truck Alts and installed a month ago. Great cover. Install was relatively easy. Took my time and had 'help' from my 3 year old. Took about 4 hrs. There was a a typo in the instructions (wrong letter for hardware) and one of the steps was incorrect (had clamps on wrong ends). No big deal.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #209
Valsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
Valsmere's Tacoma Gallery
Overpar
I ran into the same thing I was going crazy thinking I did something wrong! Took me about the same amount of time. The big thing with this cover is getting the adjustments right. It takes time, but worth it in the end I love the way it looks. Only thing I didn't do was install that loop for the center of the tailgate but I have a pop n lock so its still secure. Great cover feels secure, imo looks awesome. I would recommend this cover.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #210
SFGiantsfn is on a distinguished road

SFGiantsfn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbowman View Post

It looks like Fold A Cover only gives you $50 off the price now instead of $100 when ordering from their outlet store. The $25 off still works. Is this cover still available at Truck Alterations? I can't seem to find it.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #211
truckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant future
truckalter's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately we no longer carry Fold-A-Cover...

Basically they cut all of our discounts despite sales of over $100k last year so we could no longer give out any deals. They want their covers to eventually be sold at retail and are eliminating any dealers who refuse to do so.

So, I would say whatever deal you can get from them is the best you will do.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckalter View Post
Unfortunately we no longer carry Fold-A-Cover...

Basically they cut all of our discounts despite sales of over $100k last year so we could no longer give out any deals. They want their covers to eventually be sold at retail and are eliminating any dealers who refuse to do so.

So, I would say whatever deal you can get from them is the best you will do.
OK, thanks
Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #213

VazBro's Tacoma Gallery
Just in case if anybody is interested, I am selling my like new Fold A Cover.It is for double cab long bed. I bought it about 3.5 months ago and since I don't use the truck on daily basis, the cover is like new. It is listed in the for sale section.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #214
Dan T is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
Dan T's Tacoma Gallery
I知 thinking of ordering a Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite for my Tacoma.
But first, I was hoping to hear for some of you guys that have had one on their truck for a number of years. How is the cover holding up? Did you have to do any repairs to the cover?
Would you buy another one?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-04-2014, 05:51 AM   #215
ddtacoma2012 is on a distinguished road
Name: David
ddtacoma2012's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan T View Post
But first, I was hoping to hear for some of you guys that have had one on their truck for a number of years. How is the cover holding up? Did you have to do any repairs to the cover?

Thanks,
Dan
I have had one on my truck about 2 years. It was a bit of a pain to get everything lined up correctly at installation but since then I have not touched it and have had no issues with it at all. I use the truck for only light work so the cover has not taken a big beating, so I can't speak to how it holds up to constant pounding. But it has been perfect for my needs. Solid and has needed no adjustment at all since install. I would buy it again.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #216

Quote:

Thanks,
Dan
Mine has been on for almost a year now. I added some weather stripping in a few places to help keep water out but otherwise no modifications. It's holding up great so far and I use the latch near the cab just about every day to store my work magnets.

A little water still gets in at the corners but not enough to really bother me. I would definitely buy it again.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #217

Dan T's Tacoma Gallery
The reports are great news. What are the panels made of.
I had a hard cover on my previous truck and the panels were made of a plastic material of some kind with Styrofoam in between the inner and outer panel.

The plastic started to break after 4 years and I had to reinforce the frame work or each panel. It worked good but wasn't pretty.

I'm leaning towards the Fold-A-Cover G4 and was wondering if the G4 Elite was made the same way?
Old 06-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #218
hemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kurt
hemitruk's Tacoma Gallery
Panels are made of aluminum I believe . Its strong. Solid built cover. Put angle aluminum about 3/4 inch in front and silicone so no leaks in front .
Made box out of sheetmetal in rear for use as a toolbox. With back being able to open and lock makes it convenient.
Got electric pop and lock so use rear like a trunk instead of leaving in truck were can be seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Review Fold a cover G4 elite-20140112_124029.jpg   Review Fold a cover G4 elite-20140112_121755.jpg   Review Fold a cover G4 elite-20140112_124008.jpg   Review Fold a cover G4 elite-20140112_122016.jpg  
Old 06-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #219

Dan T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemitruk View Post
Panels are made of aluminum I believe . Its strong. Solid built cover. Put angle aluminum about 3/4 inch in front and silicone so no leaks in front .
Made box out of sheetmetal in rear for use as a toolbox. With back being able to open and lock makes it convenient.
Got electric pop and lock so use rear like a trunk instead of leaving in truck were can be seen.
Nice looking tool box. How does the electric pop and lock work and where did you get it?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #220
MarinePhoenix2207 will become famous soon enough

Coast Guard: Deck Watch Officer gone Aviator
MarinePhoenix2207's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks,
Dan
I've had mine on for about 4+ years and it's still going strong. Some of the weather stripping/rubber material separated at the edges near both access points, but some gorilla glue handled that and it's been good ever since. I open and close the cover quite a bit and there's no evidence of significant wear & tear.