Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Mequiar's Headlight Restoration Kit Review

Old 09-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Mequiar's Headlight Restoration Kit Review

Just polished up my headlights today and thought I'd add a review.

My husband bought the Mequiar's Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit about a month ago and used it on his 2006 Acura MDX and really liked it.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...storation-kit/

The headlights on the truck weren't that bad but there was a section at the top that was yellow & non-clear and portions that were fading. So, I figured I give this a shot....

In a nutshell - the kit requires hand sanding (wet & dry), buffing (with drill & buffing compound), & applying UV protectant. Easy job....even I can do it!! LOL

Here's a picture of the worst area on my headlights - upper corner:
BEFORE:

and AFTER:

Obviously, this is DAY 1.... The UV protectant is important as to protect from further yellowing/fading. My husband has applied it a couple times 'just in case'. I honestly don't know how long this will last - so we'll see. Easy to perform this again in a few years if needed.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
SoCalPoolman is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
SoCalPoolman's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

[/IMG]I just used this product on my 07. It was very easy and with great results. Took about an hour of not so hard work. I didn't add a clearcoat this time i want to see how long it lasts on its own. I will repost as time goes on with progress
Old 07-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
sukii is on a distinguished road
sukii's Tacoma Gallery
Bump. Any updates on the headlight resurrection?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
dirtychemist is on a distinguished road
dirtychemist's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukii View Post
Bump. Any updates on the headlight resurrection?
from 22 months ago....

Use toothpaste (Crest works great) and a rag or any Cleaner wax. It's cheaper and does the same thing. Don't believe me, Google it.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtychemist View Post
from 22 months ago....

Use toothpaste (Crest works great) and a rag or any Cleaner wax. It's cheaper and does the same thing. Don't believe me, Google it.

How bad were they to begin with? I just can't see using only a rag helping all that much on some of the worse ones.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
sukii is on a distinguished road
sukii's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtychemist View Post
from 22 months ago....

That is correct ... ?! I wanted to know if the restoration held up over time. And you are correct, 22 months ago so now would be the perfect time to ask.