Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Meguiar's Professional Dual-Action Polisher Sux!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Meguiar's Professional Dual-Action Polisher Sux!

I used my Meguiar's polisher for the first time today. What a piece of crap! $182.19 with two bonnets and shipping down the toilet. It is impossible to get the polishing bonnet centered on the backing plate so the machine wants to vibrate out of your hands. To keep it under control I tended to push down too hard, causing the motor to overheat to the point the body got too hot to touch. It throws a fine mist of liquid polish EVERYWHERE! My Tacoma looks like I parked next to a paint booth. I'm now spending my day off with a toothbrush & a can of WD-40 trying to clean up. As an added bonus blue smoke started to pour out of the machine as I was finishing the last panel. I don't know what I'm gonna' do yet, but I shouldn't have given my $19.99 Turtle Wax polisher to my son. CRAP!

Old 10-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear that. I remember reading bad reviews of that polisher when it first came out, and I guess they never improved it. If you're still shopping for a polisher, I've been very happy with a Porter-Cable 7424 and Lake Country pads. It gets a little warm after a lot of use, but it's held up fine for years. I've read several positive reviews of the Flex XC 3401, but it's fairly expensive.

If shopping today, I'd buy the Flex, but the Porter-Cable works great and is a bargain.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I use a Sears Craftsman Orbital, it wont burn the paint and does a great job.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Why are you using a tooth brush on your paint??
Old 10-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Why are you using a tooth brush on your paint??
I wasn't sure about that, either. A heated pressure washer, hand washing, and hand drying with a waffle weave microfiber towel will remove residue from any products I've used on my paint.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of the problems you stated can be fixed by improving technique. You only need 3 pea sized drops of polish. Spread them around at low speed, then turn the speed up and begin your actual polishing. This will prevent polish sling.
You do not need a lot of pressure in order to polish effectively. I've used a g110 several times and it has not vibrated abnormally. This polisher differs from the turtle wax polisher in that it has enough power to remove scratches, therefore it takes a little getting used to.
Search the web for some videos on technique and this should help you out.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A lot of the problems you stated can be fixed by improving technique. You only need 3 pea sized drops of polish. Spread them around at low speed, then turn the speed up and begin your actual polishing. This will prevent polish sling.
You do not need a lot of pressure in order to polish effectively. I've used a g110 several times and it has not vibrated abnormally. This polisher differs from the turtle wax polisher in that it has enough power to remove scratches, therefore it takes a little getting used to.
Search the web for some videos on technique and this should help you out.
Correct. The polish and the machine should be doing the work. Also, if you are serious about auto detailing the Flex is a great machine and worth every penny.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Correct. The polish and the machine should be doing the work. Also, if you are serious about auto detailing the Flex is a great machine and worth every penny.
If the Flex had been available, I may have picked it instead of the Porter-Cable. I'd much prefer the Flex's D-handle to the PC's side handle, and iirc, the Flex has a variable speed trigger as opposed to the PC's on/off trigger, with speed control on a separate dial. Still, the Flex is $200 more than the PC, so I can live with a few shortcomings.

The improvements mentioned may help make the most out of the Meguiar's polisher, but I still think it's overpriced at $180 (kit) compared to the PC at $125 (+ pads). I distinctly remember reading about heat problems with the original Meguiar, but maybe the G110v2 improved on that. tacomathom, do you have a v1 or v2?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
jrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud of

Name: Jeff
jrobcet's Tacoma Gallery
I have one of those, and it works great. Even at the highest setting it's easy to control. If it's really vibrating that badly, maybe you should send it back for another. I don't think what you are describing is normal -- sounds like something might be wrong.

As for slinging polish/compound, I know what you mean -- I made the same mistake the first time. But that's not down to the DA. As mentioned above by Josh, the proper technique will prevent slinging.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobcet View Post
I have one of those, and it works great. Even at the highest setting it's easy to control. If it's really vibrating that badly, maybe you should send it back for another. I don't think what you are describing is normal -- sounds like something might be wrong.

As for slinging polish/compound, I know what you mean -- I made the same mistake the first time. But that's not down to the DA. As mentioned above by Josh, the proper technique will prevent slinging.
Another thing that helps keep the product under control is a nicely cupped pad. I put a small amount of whatever on the center portion of a Lake Country pad, spread it a little with the polisher off, then power up. I've never had a problem doing it like that.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
tirekicker
vicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant future

Name: mike
vicali's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathom View Post
It is impossible to get the polishing bonnet centered on the backing plate so the machine wants to vibrate out of your hands.
Yeah, they'll do that.. Have you used a DA polisher before? or seen one run?
My PC gets pretty excited above 4, you aren't going to be running it one handed while you enjoy a beverage for sure.

Slinging sucks, but you'll only do it once before you start adding compound by the drop and spreading it with the machine off.

Don't throw it away quite yet..
Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for all the responses and advice. I had a Sears random orbital for years, it worked great but finally gave out. I had never used a D/A polisher before. I read about the Meguiar's in Popular Mechanics then watched the video on the Meguiar's web site. I thought this looks real easy. Well of course I used WAY TOO MUCH polish (I used Nu Finish to boot) and started out on speed 4! So now I know; 3 drops of polish, speed 1 to start with and I think I'm gonna' switch to a Meguiar's product too.
To answer a couple more questions; I was using the toothbrush on the black plastic parts and the machine I have is the v2 model. The ergonomics aren't great and I am used to a dead-man switch.
I also figured out too late to stand in the bed when I do the roof so any spray goes to the side not in the bed. Plus I gotta' work on getting that polishing pad CENTERED on the backing plate.
My son's friend is an electrician, he's going to check it to make sure I didn't fry the damn thing. If I did, I might just switch back to a random orbital type.

Products Discussed in this Thread