Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Which Maglite do you prefer?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Which Maglite do you prefer?

Looking at buying some maglites and curious to see what everyone on here prefers. I am looking at the 3D models and I want to get a pretty serious flashlight. Some say 250 meters and 360 meters. Which one would be my best option?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Primo!
Primo 95's Tacoma Gallery
Maglites are fine if you want a weapon, but if you want a really serious flashlight....Surefire is the way to go. And yes they are that expensive, but worth it. I think the Surefire Defender is their best light, but I dont have some of their newer models like the Fury.

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights.html

Fenix, NiteCore and Jetbeam are some other popular brands (all made in china, but I have never had a problem with mine)
http://www.lightjunction.com/index.php?main_page=index

Or look around ebay when you find a model you like.

Almost all of these are powered by CR123 batteries which makes them so insanely bright...and have more power than 3D batteries.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a couple of 2D LEDs. They are the older ones, before Maglite upgraded to brighter LEDs. They both are very good at putting a small spot of light about 200 yards away.

In contrast, I also have a few Streamlight flashlights in the smaller 2 AA and rechargable sizes. The rechargeable (Strion model) will put out the same 200 yards or so, BUT it's not just a spot, it's a usable spread of light. Streamlight also makes larger size rechargeables. They will all blow the Maglites away, but of course, there is a price for that.

Just make sure you understand that when Maglite says 300 yards, they mean you can light up a small spot at that distance, not necessarily enough light to be actually useable.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you want to use it for. I have a 2D LED and it is plenty for what I need. I think the 3Ds get too big. (Have one of those too, but it is somewhere in a closet)
Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2D LED. It is BRIGHT! There are definitely better flashlights out there though. But imo, the 2D LED is pretty impressive for what it is.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo 95 View Post
Maglites are fine if you want a weapon, but if you want a really serious flashlight....Surefire is the way to go. And yes they are that expensive, but worth it. I think the Surefire Defender is their best light, but I dont have some of their newer models like the Fury.

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights.html

Fenix, NiteCore and Jetbeam are some other popular brands (all made in china, but I have never had a problem with mine)
http://www.lightjunction.com/index.php?main_page=index

Or look around ebay when you find a model you like.

Almost all of these are powered by CR123 batteries which makes them so insanely bright...and have more power than 3D batteries.
Dang, $200 for a flashlight!
But, it all depends on what you use it for. I use mine (2D LED Maglite @ $30.00) when camping about 2x per year and about 5 times in between to look for something that rolled in under the couch, so I can't justify a surefire, but if you work in a security related job, or something where your life might depend on it, then it is a small price to pay.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3c led maglight. I like it, but its big and cumbersome. Its great for around the house, and they are tough as nails. I'm also a big fan of streamlights. My favorite is my LED tasklight that takes AA batts. Its great for everything, and unlike crappy CR123s, you can find them everywhere. For defense lights I have Streamlight scorpions, non LED with CRap123s. They are bright, but dont last long at all. I also have a rechargeable Streamlight Stinger XTHP. Ive had it forever, replaced the bulb once, and the battery once. I really like it, bit I wish it was LED.