Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

ARB Bumper : Deer Vaporizor/Truck Destroyer

Old 11-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #21
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on how you look at it, the bumper was not useful in this collision. Without it, the truck would be more damaged, but $ loss would be the same, because the truck is written off.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #22
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery

Or, what if the bumper deflected the deer downward and prevented him from going through the windshield?

The ARB bullbar is designed to catch and deflect the animals torso, sending the mass of the strike off to the sides or under the chassis.

And, he was able to drive away from the accident. Albeit, he was "driving away" in a totaled truck.

Not trying to start a pissing contest - just sayin'.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #23
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Depending on how you look at it, the bumper was not useful in this collision. Without it, the truck would be more damaged, but $ loss would be the same, because the truck is written off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
Or, what if the bumper deflected the deer downward and prevented him from going through the windshield?

The ARB bullbar is designed to catch and deflect the animals torso, sending the mass of the strike off to the sides or under the chassis.

And, he was able to drive away from the accident. Albeit, he was "driving away" in a totaled truck.

Not trying to start a pissing contest - just sayin'.
You both make good points... but how about this third option:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creston View Post
Recently hit a buck doing about XXX mph (we'll call it "Highway Speed") with my ARB equipped...
If he had been driving for the conditions, which includes such things as speed limit, weather, time of day and of course time of year; as fall is known well for deer and other large animals crossing the road; especially out in the middle of nowhere. If these factors had been taken into account while driving, then he may not have had to post about the awesomeness of his ARB, or about his truck being written off.

Frank
Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #24
Eldo is on a distinguished road
Eldo's Tacoma Gallery
Frank wins.
bummer that the truck is written off though.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #25
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
Frank wins.
bummer that the truck is written off though.
Touché Frank, touché. I agree 100%.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #27
flashsplat is just really niceflashsplat is just really niceflashsplat is just really niceflashsplat is just really nice
flashsplat's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious, did you have time to break at all or did you "follow through" ?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #28
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverich View Post

That design feature is questionable, unless the grille guard is 5 ft-tall stinger. The Tacoma's hood is higher than most cars'. In this collision, the deer likely would not have come through the windshield even with the stock bumper.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #29
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
If this would have been in an isolated enough area with poor cell phone service in subfreezing temps and few to no other passers by, then it certainly did its job. But all good points indeed.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #30
Crusty
Creston is on a distinguished road

Name: CrustyBushman
Creston's Tacoma Gallery
There was no time to brake at all. If my lightforce spotlights had'nt blown a fuse this whole mess probably could've been avoided!
Also, the XXX should have read KPH not MPH. sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #31
Crusty
Creston is on a distinguished road

Name: CrustyBushman
Creston's Tacoma Gallery
Visited the body shop the other day to have a closer look at the damage.
The bumber and mounting brackets were not bent at all. the frame horns however were crumpled straight back about an inch. And the tops of the wheel wells were bowed in slightly. The rad cradle and rad and condensing unit were fine and untouched with no leaks. Other than that the truck looked good. (to a guy who doesn't know anything about autobody). But, I'm not gonna buy it back. I need a truck sooner than later.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #32
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Seems to me, the ARB is overbuilt (too strong). I think a good bumper should ABSORB the impact, of a 200-lb deer, not just pass it on to the frame and body. Ideally, the bumper and brackets should be destroyed, saving the frame. Then the total damage would be just sheet metal and the bumper itself. Possibly the air-bags may not have deployed.
The truck then would likely not be totalled.

Just my humble opinion, here.

Along the same lines, I think most aftermarket skid plates are also overbuilt, much heavier and thicker than they really need to be for recreational offroading. The competition (extreme) guys would need the 3/16" steel, but 1/8" is fine for the rest.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #33
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
^ do you own a off road bumper?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #34
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Along the same lines, I think most aftermarket skid plates are also overbuilt, much heavier and thicker than they really need to be for recreational offroading. The competition (extreme) guys would need the 3/16" steel, but 1/8" is fine for the rest.
Skid plates arent something that really can be overbuilt. Its protecting some of the most important components underneath the truck. Take your 4,000lb truck(could be off a lil. Ive never actually checked to see how much they weigh) and let youre front end drop 1' and land on a bigass rock with only 1/8" steel and see what happens.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #35
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.sight.picture View Post
^ do you own a off road bumper?
Not on my current truck. I used to have an '84 4runner rock crawler, and did some nasty stuff with it on a regular basis (Rubicon, Fordyce, etc). I had a thin-walled Smittybilt up front that did a good job protecting my front end. The bumper got dented up pretty badly and looked like hell, but the truck was unscathed.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #36

tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Skid plates arent something that really can be overbuilt. Its protecting some of the most important components underneath the truck. Take your 4,000lb truck(could be off a lil. Ive never actually checked to see how much they weigh) and let youre front end drop 1' and land on a bigass rock with only 1/8" steel and see what happens.
I agree, you would need 3/16" plate in that situation. But you would be unlikely to be in that situation in 'recreational wheeling' or using it for hunting. Last year I bought a Skidrow tranny plate. Really strong 3/16" steel. Weighs a ton. A lot heavier and stronger than I need now (just 'retired' from the serious stuff).
Old 11-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #37
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree, you would need 3/16" plate in that situation. But you would be unlikely to be in that situation in 'recreational wheeling' or using it for hunting. Last year I bought a Skidrow tranny plate. Really strong 3/16" steel. Weighs a ton. A lot heavier and stronger than I need now (just 'retired' from the serious stuff).
Im captain overkill tho id rather have it and be safe than break something and wish i wouldve had it.

Hell, id be the guy that would be a plate bumper out of 1/4" steel if i could
Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #38
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Im captain overkill tho id rather have it and be safe than break something and wish i wouldve had it.

Hell, id be the guy that would be a plate bumper out of 1/4" steel if i could

I have a shrockworks with full hoops. How do you think that would hold up in hit like this?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #39
Ragin Cajun
Plik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant future

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
You should have that SOB mounted lol
Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #40
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Seems to me, the ARB is overbuilt (too strong). I think a good bumper should ABSORB the impact, of a 200-lb deer, not just pass it on to the frame and body. Ideally, the bumper and brackets should be destroyed, saving the frame. Then the total damage would be just sheet metal and the bumper itself. Possibly the air-bags may not have deployed.
The truck then would likely not be totalled.

Just my humble opinion, here.

Given the various amounts of possible out comes and unpredictability of any deer to vehicle collisions, this argument is invalid.
Yes a stock vehicle is designed to absorb and deflect as much force as possible to ensure the safety of the occupants in said vehicle or any of the involved vehicles. However this bumper was not designed or engineered specifically for a front end collision or an impact of such.
As for "recreational" offroading and this bumper being too "over built", I do not quite understand this statement. These bumpers are designed for maximum strength at the "tow" point or winch point. In order to achieve this the bumper was made to be an exstension of the frame itself. Also these bumpers have been designed with a jack point on both sides, in order for this to be possible without an unintended crumple the bumper has been reinforced.
I do not consider myself to be more than a recreational offroader, though I have utilized every one of these features and in no way, shape or form do I feel this bumper was built inadequately.
Anyhow, in such an instance and with the unpredictability of something like this, who knows maybe the angle, speed and weight of the deer would have torn the roof off the truck without this bumper. No one here will know for sure but the pics on google sure explain a lot about deer collisions.
So next time your pulling a buddy out of the mud with you Aries grass wacker and your bumper rips off maybe youll consider a stronger bumper.