Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

ARB Bumper : Deer Vaporizor/Truck Destroyer

Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #41
RELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
This is very interesting... I have the same ARB bumper.. Looks like the ARB really did not save the truck.
Its totaled..

What should be done to fix this problem, or is it not really fixable. I bought the ARB hoping it would save my truck from being totaled by a deer..
what a let down...
Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #42
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELLIM View Post
This is very interesting... I have the same ARB bumper.. Looks like the ARB really did not save the truck.
Its totaled..
Big strong bumpers can't do everything, obviously. Hitting an animal at 100 kph (about 70 mph) is a hell of an impact. As previously pointed out, the truck was still drive-able because of the protection of the bumper. It may have prevented the carcass from flying through the windshield.
Luckily the air-bags worked .
Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #43
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELLIM View Post
Its totaled..

What should be done to fix this problem, or is it not really fixable. I bought the ARB hoping it would save my truck from being totaled by a deer..
what a let down...
You've obviously never seen what a 140+lb animal at highway speeds does to unprotected vehicles.

The ARB did it's job.

With magnificence.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #44
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
That's what these things are designed for and why I wouldn't own anything else.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #45
初音ミク #1 Fan, and Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog Cook
Cadha13 is on a distinguished road

Name: David
Cadha13's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Cadha13 Send a message via Skype™ to Cadha13
My parent's hit a deer in their 2000 Impala going about 70 MPH on Christmas day, and the repair would have been a bumper, a headlight and some slight fender work. But the insurance totaled it because it cost $1500 to fix. No air bags, no frame damage only some skin on the car and it was still road safe. Then they got a Avalon and never looked back.

If one deer hit a Taco at the same speed, and it caused more damage than that. But the only difference was that a bumper that was much stronger against impact was used, instead of a plastic foam of the Impala. There are strong bumpers that provide the support for recovery and deflection, but the bumper has to absorb most of the impact to save the truck. This bumper failed in that regard. If you had the bumpers off of a 1986 Caprice, they could take a Taco in the rear at 40 MPH and just bend some sheet metal. I think the old bumpers from that era were much better than the ones used today. It's proven by many insurance tests that the old ones worked.

Just my thoughts from many a crash with me inside.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #46
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
SupraTT had a deer collision around the same time. The All-Pro bumper deformed to absorb some of the energy. Plenty of trim damage but the frame didn't crumple, so truck was not totaled: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-hit-deer.html
Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #47
bonafide
sk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
sk8rjess's Tacoma Gallery
frame damage doesn't always mean totaled either. nor does airbag deployment, blahblahblah and all the other "myths".

my experience and it wasn't totaled despite frame damage:

full thread
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183884
Old 11-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #48
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^Of course the frame can be replaced (Toyota was getting good at it with all the rusty frames...), and the Taco's residual value is high. Whether the truck becomes technically totaled becomes an accounting decision for the insurance co. So you plan to repair your truck or to scuttle it?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #49
bonafide
sk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
sk8rjess's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
^Of course the frame can be replaced (Toyota was getting good at it with all the rusty frames...), and the Taco's residual value is high. Whether the truck becomes technically totaled becomes an accounting decision for the insurance co. So you plan to repair your truck or to scuttle it?
me or the OP? that all happened Jan 2012, since has been repaired, good as new(well..)

still curious on OPs decision though, or more-less his insurance companies decision lol
Old 11-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #50
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck, I like that TG bumper on yours
Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #51
RELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
Very true...becuse the air bags went off and the frame is twisted bla bla bla doesn't mean its totaled, can happen and it can be fixed or complete
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #52

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
Complete rebuilt.. if the ins co totalled it, its lost over half the value it was before the accident. If you buy it back from the ins co and rebuild the truck you will have to sign a damage disclosure that there was more than 2k of damage Done to the vehice. When you sell, if u sell it you would have to tell the dealer or buyer about the damage disclosure by law.

Ive rolled a Colorado before and it was totalled, bought back from the ins co , rebuilt it drove it for another 40 k and traded it for my tacoma.. I did not get the 9k the truck was worth if it had not been totalled, instead I got 3k..

So this why I say the Arb did not save the taco. The ins.co totalled it. Sure ya can rebuild it from the ground up, but ya might as well make it a hobby truck. It will never resale high, and by law the next owner will know about the damage.

So Yeah I've rolled trucks and set them on a fours and continued to drive it without major engine work..
And I know what fuckin deer to vehicles, I've hit many in my driving career, I've hit 3 with two stock Toyota bumpers and none so far with the Arb ....

Maybe now you see where I stand....?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #53
FEARFACT is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Matt
FEARFACT's Tacoma Gallery
I just cleaned out a buck at 45.. My allpro tube didn't flinch, only damage is a turn signal.. And this bumper is way leas expensive that an arb!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #54
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think speed is the only factor here. Hitting the animal square on or deflecting his rear a little, the size of the animal, if he was standing there like a derp haha or running etc . . . and of course how fast you're going. People seem to hit deer every other weekend here in the Dakotas and you can see varying damage from similar sized deer on roads with same posted speed (assuming people are within 5-10 of that as a constant). Simply stating that "I hit a deer once and had less damage" doesn't really account for many factors. Just something to consider before we start claiming what bumpers are better off of one deer strike each. Now I'm totally behind the "conceptual" here, and saying a bumper that gives a little, like crumple zones on a car, could have it's perks. Just didn't want to see three or four bumpers that have been in one singular deer strike a piece compared as if that means anything at all.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #55
Bro do you even 'Merica?
jdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
jdk52's Tacoma Gallery
I almost smoked an elk the other day with my brute force....I bet the bumper kept the deer from going through your windscreen though.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #56
El TacoBender is on a distinguished road
Air Force: VM
Name: Manuel
El TacoBender's Tacoma Gallery
hey creston that arb bumper is freaking sweet!!! but does it effect your gas mileage a noticeable amount or very minimal amount?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #57
Crusty
Creston is on a distinguished road

Name: CrustyBushman
Creston's Tacoma Gallery
Very minimal. You wont even notice it.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #58
Crusty

Creston's Tacoma Gallery
For those who were curious, the truck just sold at auction for $6100.00!
I recently bought a 2007 Tundra, and going to look at a 94 4Runner for beating around the bush. Bye bye Tacoma.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #59
Crusty

Creston's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking of selling my ARB bumper. What do you guys think it's worth? It is in very good shape.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #60
El TacoBender is on a distinguished road
Air Force: VM
Name: Manuel
El TacoBender's Tacoma Gallery
ill take you up on the offer for a good price?