1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Go Rhino 5" Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars - Product Review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by TomRnHT, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Oct 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM
    TomRnHT

TomRnHT [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4 Off-Road
    Advantage Hard Hat Tonneau Cover, Aries 3D Floor Liners, Bedrug, Go Rhino X-Treme Nerf Bars
    Like many people, I tend to read a LOT of reviews before purchasing any product. However, I found a very limited number of reviews on alternatives to the OEM tube steps. My goal for this post is to present an alternate option to the OEM tube steps and help those looking at truck steps make a more informed decision.

First, let me say that I agree with other posts on TW that rock sliders will offer better protection when doing heavy off-roading or rock crawling. However, I plan on doing only minor off-roading. Hence I settled on tube steps over other options to (1) make it easier to enter the truck (2) help provide access to the roof rack, (3) absorb random dings from car doors in crowded parking lots, and (4) improve the aesthetics of the truck.

I looked at a number of tube steps including Westin, OEM, Go Rhino, and others. I really liked the look of the OEM black tube steps on the Tacoma, but I didn’t want to spend $450 dollars. I felt the 5” tubes were a good size (3” seemed too small). In the end I selected the 5” Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars from Go Rhino because they were very similar to the OEM look at a lower cost. I purchased mine from AutoAnything.com using their new customer 15% discount with free shipping for a little under $300.

The tube steps and mounting brackets arrived in separate packages that were well padded. Installation was straightforward and took me about 2 hours, though I am pretty particular about alignment. It likely can be installed quicker by those less concerned about precision or with more mechanical experience.

Installation Instructions:

Step 1: Note the 11 Ft-lb torque rating for the bolts, then discard the instructions. Not only is the installation very straightforward, the instructions are not particularly detailed and there are a few mistakes (e.g. M8x30 and M8x25 mm bolts were discussed, but only M8x25 mm bolts were included).

Step 2: Unscrew the plastic plugs covering the factory holes under each side of the truck.

Step 3: The front brackets differ from the middle and rear brackets. The instructions state to loosely attach the brackets, loosely attach the tube steps, and align before tightening. I found that aligning the brackets perpendicular to the truck using a T-square and tightening them first was more efficient since I had less to manipulate later in the installation. Tighten the silver M8x25 bolts, lock washer, and washer combination to 11 Ft-lb using a 13mm socket. As an added precaution I used Loctite (blue, semi-permanent) on each bolt to prevent loosening.

Step 4: Slide the brown square head bolts into the inner and outer most tracks on the bottom of the tube step to the approximate locations of the brackets. Ignore the middle track.

Step 5: Align the tube step forward/rearward and side-to-side to your desired location. I found that aligning the front of the tube step about 2.5” from the front mud flap gave the best fit.

Step 6: Tighten the washer, lock washer, nut combination using a 13 mm socket to 11 Ft-lb. Don’t forget to apply Loctite (or equivalent) here too.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the purchase. The tube steps look great and were lower cost than the OEM version. I have found that the brackets do flex slightly when stepping on the tube steps. Given this is my first experience with any type of truck step, I am not sure if this is commonplace. I am small statured so I suspect it will flex more for those larger than myself, but I do believe they will carry the weight of a heavier person. I have only had them for a few weeks, but haven’t experienced any problems.

Tube Step 1.jpg
    Tube Step 2.jpg
    Tube Step 3.jpg
    Tube Step 4.jpg
    Tube Step 5.jpg
    Tube Step 6.jpg
    Tube Step 7.jpg
    Tube Step 8.jpg
    Tube Step 9.jpg
    Tube Step 10.jpg
    Tube Step 11.jpg
    Tube Step 12.jpg

2. Nov 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    Mike27t

Mike27t Well-Known Member

Member:
    Keep your receipt or GoRhino will completely ignore you as a customer and ignore any warranty claims you may have. Even if it was 100% product failure and no fault of your own :mad:

3. Mar 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    Totoy

Totoy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sports
    stock
    Now that you've had these for a while, I'm looking to follow up on how these step bars performed. How do you like them? Any feedback will be great! Thanks!

I'm looking at purchasing these as well.

4. Apr 2, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    TomRnHT

TomRnHT [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4 Off-Road
    Advantage Hard Hat Tonneau Cover, Aries 3D Floor Liners, Bedrug, Go Rhino X-Treme Nerf Bars
    Hi Totoy,

So far, so good. I'm very satisfied with the purchase. I think the 5" tube makes for an easier, more secure stepping surface than 3" versions. In response to your post, I went out and checked the tightness of all of the bolts after the winter season and all were at the appropriate torque (Loctite likely helped with this). There has been no chipping or fading of the paint. The only disadvantage I found was the step pads were slippery on icy days, but I suspect this would be the case with any tube step. I would definitely recommend these over the 3" tube steps or the more expensive OEM version. Hope that helps.

5. May 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    nova423

nova423 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport
    Nerf bars, LED lights, truxport tonneau
    Thanks, I have been debating which tubes to get and now I think I will go with these.

6. May 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    Panzer

Panzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport Black
    Access Tonneau TRD Skid Plate Grillcraft (shortly)
    They seem to hang a little lower than OEM as well. Thought I would point this out in case someone was debating.

7. Jun 14, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    nova423

nova423 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport
    Nerf bars, LED lights, truxport tonneau
    Thanks TomRnHT. This tutorial made this really easy to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jun 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM
    TomRnHT

TomRnHT [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4 Off-Road
    Great nova423! Glad the post was useful. The black and silver combo looks good. :thumbsup:

9. Jun 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM
    Totoy

Totoy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sports
    stock
    The only difference from Tom's to ours was the bracket holding the step. Tom has the the vertical orientation, we have the flat horizontal brackets. Other than that, yes it does hang lower and it's better for a future 3" or 6" lift.

My kids love the way it's wide and non slip. Easy access getting in!

10. May 2, 2014 at 3:45 PM
    Totoy

Totoy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sports
    stock
  11. May 2, 2014 at 3:47 PM
    Totoy

Totoy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sports
    stock
  12. May 19, 2014 at 10:32 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    After seeing this post I finally made my decision to get these instead of running boards. I wanted them to hang a little lower and stick out a bit ( to help prevent door dings) Thanks for the pictures and info. :thumbsup:

13. May 21, 2014 at 11:12 AM
    Totoy

Totoy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sports
    stock
  14. Jun 23, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    aflores2726

aflores2726 Well-Known Member

Member:
    where you buy It at i was looking at the predator one don't know which one to get

15. Jun 24, 2014 at 6:25 AM
    Totoy

Totoy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sports
    stock

I got mine from autoanything.com.

16. Nov 13, 2014 at 6:36 AM
    raf215

raf215 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Rio Rancho NM
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Front map lights on with doors - great mod
    Wish they made them for an Access Cab :(

17. Feb 25, 2015 at 12:03 PM
    Desird97

Desird97 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Portsmouth, NH
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport DC V6
    To everyone who has installed these, it looks like it has been a while now, any feedback? I need to get something to help the kids get in and out and have been going back and forth between these and the factory running boards. How do they hold up in winter with the salt?

Thanks in advance...

18. Feb 26, 2015 at 3:23 PM
    Totoy

Totoy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sports
    stock
    We've seen pretty good amount of snow and low temperatures here and mine is still pretty black and sturdy. No sign of any chip on the black paint and the rubber steps still holds and they're still quite grippy.

My wife and the kids loves it!

19. May 24, 2015 at 4:22 PM
    Spidious

Spidious 2006 Tacoma SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Champaign, IL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma SR5
    Forward & reverse camera monitoring Bed Mat Tyger Black Tonneau Cover Tyger Sport Bar, 36" led light bar Hikity Android Car Radio Pro grill with lights Sport hood Cold air intake Sprint Booster throttle controller Flip down bed extender 265/75R15 tires 2"spacers New led tail lights Internal/external thermometer Chrome Bullbar Chrome step tubes LED F&R led turn lights
    Can you post a picture like mine showing how much lower they are than the Toyota ones or measure from the bottom of the Pinch weld lip to the top of the bar. I don't like mine for the same reason you say. image.jpg

Tac11 likes this.
  20. Jan 26, 2017 at 7:23 PM
    44Orr44

44Orr44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma V6
    Are these the best nerf on the market ?

Products Discussed in

To Top