Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Go Rhino 5" Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars - Product Review

Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
TomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TomRnHT's Tacoma Gallery
Go Rhino 5" Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars - Product Review

Like many people, I tend to read a LOT of reviews before purchasing any product. However, I found a very limited number of reviews on alternatives to the OEM tube steps. My goal for this post is to present an alternate option to the OEM tube steps and help those looking at truck steps make a more informed decision.

First, let me say that I agree with other posts on TW that rock sliders will offer better protection when doing heavy off-roading or rock crawling. However, I plan on doing only minor off-roading. Hence I settled on tube steps over other options to (1) make it easier to enter the truck (2) help provide access to the roof rack, (3) absorb random dings from car doors in crowded parking lots, and (4) improve the aesthetics of the truck.

I looked at a number of tube steps including Westin, OEM, Go Rhino, and others. I really liked the look of the OEM black tube steps on the Tacoma, but I didn’t want to spend $450 dollars. I felt the 5” tubes were a good size (3” seemed too small). In the end I selected the 5” Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars from Go Rhino because they were very similar to the OEM look at a lower cost. I purchased mine from AutoAnything.com using their new customer 15% discount with free shipping for a little under $300.

The tube steps and mounting brackets arrived in separate packages that were well padded. Installation was straightforward and took me about 2 hours, though I am pretty particular about alignment. It likely can be installed quicker by those less concerned about precision or with more mechanical experience.

Installation Instructions:

Step 1: Note the 11 Ft-lb torque rating for the bolts, then discard the instructions. Not only is the installation very straightforward, the instructions are not particularly detailed and there are a few mistakes (e.g. M8x30 and M8x25 mm bolts were discussed, but only M8x25 mm bolts were included).

Step 2: Unscrew the plastic plugs covering the factory holes under each side of the truck.

Step 3: The front brackets differ from the middle and rear brackets. The instructions state to loosely attach the brackets, loosely attach the tube steps, and align before tightening. I found that aligning the brackets perpendicular to the truck using a T-square and tightening them first was more efficient since I had less to manipulate later in the installation. Tighten the silver M8x25 bolts, lock washer, and washer combination to 11 Ft-lb using a 13mm socket. As an added precaution I used Loctite (blue, semi-permanent) on each bolt to prevent loosening.

Step 4: Slide the brown square head bolts into the inner and outer most tracks on the bottom of the tube step to the approximate locations of the brackets. Ignore the middle track.

Step 5: Align the tube step forward/rearward and side-to-side to your desired location. I found that aligning the front of the tube step about 2.5” from the front mud flap gave the best fit.

Step 6: Tighten the washer, lock washer, nut combination using a 13 mm socket to 11 Ft-lb. Don’t forget to apply Loctite (or equivalent) here too.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the purchase. The tube steps look great and were lower cost than the OEM version. I have found that the brackets do flex slightly when stepping on the tube steps. Given this is my first experience with any type of truck step, I am not sure if this is commonplace. I am small statured so I suspect it will flex more for those larger than myself, but I do believe they will carry the weight of a heavier person. I have only had them for a few weeks, but haven’t experienced any problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Go Rhino 5" Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars - Product Review-tube-step-1.jpg   Go Rhino 5" Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars - Product Review-tube-step-2.jpg   Go Rhino 5" Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars - Product Review-tube-step-3.jpg   Go Rhino 5" Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars - Product Review-tube-step-4.jpg   Go Rhino 5" Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars - Product Review-tube-step-5.jpg  

Go Rhino 5" Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars - Product Review-tube-step-6.jpg   Go Rhino 5" Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars - Product Review-tube-step-7.jpg   Go Rhino 5" Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars - Product Review-tube-step-8.jpg   Go Rhino 5" Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars - Product Review-tube-step-9.jpg   Go Rhino 5" Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars - Product Review-tube-step-10.jpg  

Go Rhino 5" Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars - Product Review-tube-step-11.jpg   Go Rhino 5" Xtreme Oval Nerf Bars - Product Review-tube-step-12.jpg  
Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Mike27t is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike27t is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike27t is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike27t is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike27t is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike27t is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike27t is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike27t is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike27t is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike27t is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike27t is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mike27t's Tacoma Gallery
Keep your receipt or GoRhino will completely ignore you as a customer and ignore any warranty claims you may have. Even if it was 100% product failure and no fault of your own
Old 03-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Totoy is on a distinguished road

Name: eric
Totoy's Tacoma Gallery
Now that you've had these for a while, I'm looking to follow up on how these step bars performed. How do you like them? Any feedback will be great! Thanks!

I'm looking at purchasing these as well.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
TomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTomRnHT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TomRnHT's Tacoma Gallery
Hi Totoy,

So far, so good. I'm very satisfied with the purchase. I think the 5" tube makes for an easier, more secure stepping surface than 3" versions. In response to your post, I went out and checked the tightness of all of the bolts after the winter season and all were at the appropriate torque (Loctite likely helped with this). There has been no chipping or fading of the paint. The only disadvantage I found was the step pads were slippery on icy days, but I suspect this would be the case with any tube step. I would definitely recommend these over the 3" tube steps or the more expensive OEM version. Hope that helps.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
nova423 is on a distinguished road

nova423's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I have been debating which tubes to get and now I think I will go with these.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Panzer is on a distinguished road

Panzer's Tacoma Gallery
They seem to hang a little lower than OEM as well. Thought I would point this out in case someone was debating.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
nova423 is on a distinguished road

nova423's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks TomRnHT. This tutorial made this really easy to do.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
TomRnHT's Tacoma Gallery
Great nova423! Glad the post was useful. The black and silver combo looks good.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #9

Totoy's Tacoma Gallery
The only difference from Tom's to ours was the bracket holding the step. Tom has the the vertical orientation, we have the flat horizontal brackets. Other than that, yes it does hang lower and it's better for a future 3" or 6" lift.

My kids love the way it's wide and non slip. Easy access getting in!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #10

Totoy's Tacoma Gallery
Here are some photos when I first got it.

sidestep-1 by iamericuson, on Flickr

sidestep-3 by iamericuson, on Flickr

sidestep-4 by iamericuson, on Flickr

sidestep-6 by iamericuson, on Flickr
Old 05-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #11

Totoy's Tacoma Gallery
now with the side steps on. Easy way in and out, especially with the kids

installed steps by iamericuson, on Flickr
Old 05-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #12
o0o Flaming Skull Member o0o
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

o0oSHADOWo0o's Tacoma Gallery
After seeing this post I finally made my decision to get these instead of running boards. I wanted them to hang a little lower and stick out a bit ( to help prevent door dings) Thanks for the pictures and info.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #13

Totoy's Tacoma Gallery
here's a better photo of the the side step.

UGW-0701 by iamericuson, on Flickr

UGW-0698 by iamericuson, on Flickr

UGW-0697 by iamericuson, on Flickr
Old 06-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #14
aflores2726 is on a distinguished road

aflores2726's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoy View Post
now with the side steps on. Easy way in and out, especially with the kids

installed steps by iamericuson, on Flickr
where you buy It at i was looking at the predator one don't know which one to get
Old 06-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #15

Totoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflores2726 View Post
where you buy It at i was looking at the predator one don't know which one to get

I got mine from autoanything.com.