Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Smittybilt Trail Shade

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Smittybilt Trail Shade

Wheelers, campers, tailgaters, and general outdoorsmen alike........this thread is to give an overview of the Smittybilt "Trail Shade".

My problem
I usually carry a 10''x10'' easy up canopy on wheeling trips. It provides shade from the sin, and shelter from the rain, but is heavy, and even when collapsed, takes u a large amount of space.

What i was looking for
my criteria for a replacement for the bulky easy up was something that was small, compact, light weight, and versitile. The obvious solution was a rollout awning, like what ARB and other RTT manufacturers make like this
I liked all of those awnings, however it would have taken up more space on my bed rack than i am able to give up. I will be mounting an ARB (or similar) awning on my off road trailer down the road for some larger scale shade.

What i went with
After looking into the different options, both for purchase, and making something myself from scratch, I wend with the Smittybilt Trail Shade.

It is a trapazoidal shade, measuring 3' wide at one end, 6' wide at the other, and 10' long. It is designed to mount to a spare tire, but is easily attached tojust about anything. You could even attach it to some trees in the woods for some shade on a hike.

It comes with what is a surprisingly nice little pack. it functions as both a backpack, and a unit that can strap onto your spare tire.
the canopy itsself, the two collapsable poles, two stakes, and the adjustable cords all fite comfortably in the pack. it's not like a tent, where you break your wrists trying to roll everything up tight enough to fit.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase. The only downside that i can see so far is that the plastic clips don't have the greatest holding strength. I'm going to try notching the teeth to see if i can get them a little more bite. In all reality, they will probably be just fine though.

and finally, the price.......you can pick these up for about $65. I actually think that is very good price for all you get.

Now for the pictures

The backpack/truck mounted carrying case

pack mounted on the spare tire as specified by Smittybilt

Canopy in action (attached to the spare tire as recomended by Smittybilt)

I tried attaching the outer straps to the bed rack instead of the spare tire to spread the canopy a little......maybe it made a difference. who knows.

wooden blocks to tension the tie downs

for more efieient deployment, what i will probably do on the trails is roll up the canopy without putting it completely away. turns out the straps double a great method of securing the canopy without detatching it from the truck to put back in the pack. you could di the same thing with a bungee as well.

for those of you withough spare tires mounted in the proper position to use one of these, you could also use it off of a bed or roof rack. It will work just fine with a factory rack as well.

I don't have a picture of it, but this would also be nice to hang off the front of a roof rack to give you some shelter/shade while working under the hood.

Once i packed it all back up, I tried one last thing. turns out the pack will strap perfectly around the tailgate as well

and that's all i've got for now. I'll update this thread as a use the canopy.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deffinately gives you more height off the roof rack. tailgate would be nice with a cooler in the bed and some chairs though
Old 11-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using the same, works pretty well for the price.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
yea I submitted the picture lol. I reviewed it too.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
That's pretty slick.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Colin, your truck is ridiculous (in a good way)

Nice review
Old 12-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
That's pretty slick.
definately a cool little system. i'm looking forward to using it on the trail in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
Op your rear bumper is sick and truck aswell
thanks man, just finished the bumper a couple months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Colin, your truck is ridiculous (in a good way)

Nice review
gracias amigo
Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
CohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
CohbsTaco's Tacoma Gallery
old thread but, any further review on these awnings? im about to purchase one and wondering how its holding up
Old 05-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #14
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CohbsTaco View Post
old thread but, any further review on these awnings? im about to purchase one and wondering how its holding up
Sounds like it has been good for its intended use.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ml#post8668131

Matt
Old 05-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #15

Quote:
still enjoying it. shot is from the top of a mountain at an off road park in kansas. made it to the top and decided it was time to break for lunch when it started to drizzle. took a minute to toss up the trail shade, and ate my lunch without getting wet.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #16
CohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

do you always leave it on?
Old 05-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #17

No. after leaving it on for about a week (due to laziness), the bag for itfaded a little. so if you leave it on, the sun will fade the color, and i'm sure if it gets wet inside the bag and just sits there, that you'll develop some mildew. i usually just toss it on at camp, the first morning of each wheeling trip, and then take it off when i get home. it lives in my bed box when it's not on the tire.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #18

sweet man, i'm going to grab one, im also thinking of buying a tool box, alot of people dont run them on here do you like yours?with mine being an extended cab i could totally use the extra space.. sorry kind of a off topic question haha.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #19

Quote:
sweet man, i'm going to grab one, im also thinking of buying a tool box, alot of people dont run them on here do you like yours?with mine being an extended cab i could totally use the extra space.. sorry kind of a off topic question haha.
i really like mine. it's nice to have a waterproox means of storage that doesn't take up people room. I really don't use the bed to move large items either, so i was completely fine with the bedspace reduction.

it's also nice to have a lockable space to put something if you don't want it in plain sight of a theif
Old 05-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #20

ya thats true, i think im genna grab a tool box too.. thanks for the info man!

Products Discussed in this Thread