1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Panavise InDash Mount for gps (can probably work for cell phones)

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by FastEddie, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Dec 21, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    FastEddie

FastEddie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 super white access cab, base model
    I have seen a couple threads about gps/phone mounting options instead of using the windshield suction mounts, but this thread will show you how to install the Panavise Mount [2] and the things you will need. I originally had the Arkon TomTom air vent mount [1], but every time I hit a pothole or speed bump I thought my air vents would break, so I went ahead and purchased an indash mount from Panavise [2]. The Panavise mount [2] slides right in next to your HVAC controls. It is made specifically for 2nd gen Tacomas. There are other options, some of which are mentioned in other threads), but for me, this was the option that I liked the most.

Step 1: remove HVAC control I followed spithead051's post [5]. There are 4 white tabs in each corner, (shown in the picture below) that need to be unclipped from the top and bottom of the HVAC control unit. I used plastic trim removers [3] to remove the HVAC control.
    Step 2: Insert the Panavise InDash Mount [2] on the right side of the HVAC control unit. The mount came with screws to attach the mount to your dash, but I elected not to use that and use 3m double sided tape that I had laying around and taped the mount to the center console (you may not even need tape).

Step 3: put HVAC control unit back

Step 4: attach adapter [4], which came with nuts and bots, to the Panavise InDash Mount [2]. According to Amazon, the adapter [4] are for garmin gps, but you will need another adapter to fit the TomTom XXL gps. If you have a garmin gps, you should be done now; however, if you have a TomTom XXL or similar gps, proceed to step 5.

Step 5 (for TomTom XXL gps): I already had the TomTom adapter from my air vent mount [1]. I did not see anything on Amazon to purchase just the TomTom adapter, but I am sure you can find that somewhere.

If you are doing the install with a TomTom XXL gps, you can connect your gps and are now done. The panavise mount [2] has many holes drilled for other adapters, so I am sure you can find an adapter for tablets and/or cell phones. It looks like it might also be possible to expand the mount to hold multiple devices.

I have yet to take a drive with the mount (will be doing that tomorrow), but I have tested the mount to see whether or not a passenger's legs would hit the mount. The mount with a TomTom XXL gps does leave enough room for the passenger's legs, but if you mount a tablet (I am not sure if you can, but I don't see why not), the passenger may be somewhat uncomfortable. Pictures will be posted once I get a chance.

The install was very simple and I hope this thread is useful. Thanks for reading.

References:

[1] Arkon TomTom air vent mount ($14 from Amazon):
    http://www.amazon.com/TTEP129-ST-RV...=1356133554&sr=1-1&keywords=tomtom+vent+mount

[2] Panavise InDash Mount ($18 from Amazon):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I7RUFI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

[3] Trim remover ($5 from Harbor Freight): [4] Arkon adapter ($6 from Amazon):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ACP2FY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

[5] Spithead051's "How to: Paint HVAC controls" thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/207871-how-paint-hvac-controls.html

2. Dec 25, 2012 at 8:42 AM
    jmaglipay

jmaglipay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab
    Do you have pics of the finished product?

3. Dec 26, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
  4. Dec 26, 2012 at 10:25 AM
    FastEddie

FastEddie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 super white access cab, base model
    Sorry for the delay, here are some pictures of the final product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, the gps does not move at all when mounted.

5. Mar 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    Crydaddy

Crydaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Would this fit a 2013?

6. Mar 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM
    68Whiskey

68Whiskey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Ft.Bragg NC