Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

BakFlip Roll-X

Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Onion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jason
Onion27's Tacoma Gallery
BakFlip Roll-X

Does anyone have one? Thinking about getting one. Looking for that lockable storage for larger items; i.e. stroller. Only issue that I can possibly see is that you have to remove the track off the bed behind the cab.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Onion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jason
Onion27's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone at least have any opinions?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
Brian AutoCustoms is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
Brian AutoCustoms's Tacoma Gallery
I don't own one but the boss has one on his Tundra. He loves the Roll-X, even better than the Bakflip covers.

With the Bakflip, he hates the fact that if the cover is folded up against the cab, you can't use the rear view mirror. The Roll-X doesn't go above the head rests if you have a back seat.

Also if you want to just drop the tailgate and put something in the bed, you have to open a Bakflip before closing the tailgate again.

Just some subtle nuances but it annoyed him. He normally wants the Roll-X on his truck. (we're always putting new covers on his Tundra to shoot review and install videos).

The Roll-X will have a great low profile look with a vinyl top - same as the Bakflip VP which I have on my truck. Check out some of the images if you haven't seen them - Tacoma VP Images.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Eeyore is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Justin
Eeyore's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking about getting a Roll-X for my 2012 but before I do I'm looking for some information. If I put one on my truck will I no longer be able to use the factory bed rail system? How weather proof are they? I live in the desert so I'm looking for something that can keep most if not all of the dirt and sand away from my gear.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Junior Member +1
MNStealth13Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Tom
MNStealth13Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, you won't be able to use the factory rail system anymore as the cover uses the rail system to mount to the truck. As far as I've been told they are water proof so I would assume you should be good with dirt. I'm having one put on my 2013 DCSB later this week. I'll report back after that.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
Eeyore is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Justin
Eeyore's Tacoma Gallery
OK, sounds good. I look foward to reading what you have to say.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
rbenner89 is a jewel in the roughrbenner89 is a jewel in the roughrbenner89 is a jewel in the roughrbenner89 is a jewel in the rough
rbenner89's Tacoma Gallery
Cool PN [406TD]

if you check some sites that sell the roll-x it says it uses the bed rails for install. it also says that "replacement tie downs available" part PN [406TD] anybody have any more info?
Old 08-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Junior Member +1
BAK Roll-X review

Alright I'm back. Sorry for the delay, I finally got my truck and I've been out enjoying it so much I haven't had time to come back for this. Anyway, as promised:

My initial impression is this tonneau cover really looks amazing. The install is as easy as it gets (they have an install video on the BAK website for our trucks specifically). It works really well. Put the tailgate down, pull either side line and it pops up releasing the cover security mechanism on each side and roll it up easily. It is sturdy, but I wouldn't trust more than about 50-75 pounds on it for extended periods of time (BAK states 400 pounds evenly distributed but 50 pounds in the center will drop the center somewhere between 3/4" to 1'). On the other hand it is strong enough that it doesn't have the typical tonneau flap when driving. When driving down the highway it stays eerily calm.

I had to slightly modify mine to fit the truck correctly. The drivers side security mechanism bracket was about a 1/4 to long and rubbed the bed front and tailgate which didn't allow it to properly work initially. Took a quick grinder to it and pulled a little of each end and everything was good. I'm assuming this doesn't happen often so I wouldn't worry about it.

Couple of other observations:
  1. I've noticed is that when the truck has been out in the sun, this thing gets extremely hot. I thought I could roll it up and the underside would be OK to touch but the aluminum was hotter than the black vinyl top. This only matters on really hot days (90+deg) with direct sunlight.
  2. At the tailgate, the bed sides has a quarter round turn for the body line that the rail does not follow. The rail stays straight and doesn't completely match this curve. It would have been better to have a rounded corner on the cover rail in the rear but it doesn't seem to bother me after using it a few days.
  3. All the pictures of this tonneau I saw online didn't show how the cover is actually below the bed side top sills. The bracket lowers inside the bed and the top of the tonneau cover is actually on a lower platform. So the sides of the bed are above the cover so water can't just stream off the side of your bed box, It channels to the back. I still haven't seen any water enter the bed though. Again didn't bother me but just something I wasn't expecting. A picture would really do this justice and I'll try to remember to get a couple posted on TW in the near future but it'll probably be on my build thread which I plan on starting in the next couple days here.
  4. The cover has two BAK badges on the top that I didn't realize would be there until I unrolled the cover. Looking back at the videos online they are there though. They look good and are riveted on but I just didn't know they were there.

Overall: for me, this cover and the pop'n'lock electric tailgate lock are a killer combo and give a nice warm and fuzzy secure feeling about the objects in the tailgate. I would recommend 100%.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
rbenner89 is a jewel in the roughrbenner89 is a jewel in the roughrbenner89 is a jewel in the roughrbenner89 is a jewel in the rough
thanks for the review MNStealth13Taco
the roll-x goes in the bed rail channels to install correct? can u still use any of the rail cleats with the roll x? also, where did u end up ordering and what was the cost? does it have drainage tubes like the bak flip for water?

thanks again
Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Junior Member +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbenner89 View Post
thanks for the review MNStealth13Taco
the roll-x goes in the bed rail channels to install correct? can u still use any of the rail cleats with the roll x? also, where did u end up ordering and what was the cost? does it have drainage tubes like the bak flip for water?

thanks again
No problem.

No other bed rail accessories will work while the tonneau rails are installed as they cover the side bed rail channels completely and the front one needs to be removed.

I ordered mine through a local accessory shop and paid more than I should have... You can find them on amazon.com and carid.com for cheaper. I would suggest looking there.

It doesn't have drainage tubes, the top of the tailgate on my truck is lower than the bed sides by 1/2 or so. The tonneau rails can drain the water out the back over the tailgate. It seems to seal up pretty nicely. It has rained twice and I've been through a car wash since getting this installed and I didn't see any sign of water under it.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Junior Member +1
Quote:
if you check some sites that sell the roll-x it says it uses the bed rails for install. it also says that "replacement tie downs available" part PN [406TD] anybody have any more info?
I don't have these yet (BAK 406TD) but they look like they just replace one of the washers between the bed rail and tonneau mounting rails. I'm sure they won't be as good or as strong as the factory cleats though.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
thanks again for all the good info, much appreciated
Old 09-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
t-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
I want the Roll-X but it's quite pricey. I do like the fact that it's an all metal roll cover. and what I like is that when it locks the latch clamps down on the sides all the way to the cab making it hard to pry it with hands. I have the bakflip and the thing I hate about it is when I haul things and have it open all the way. Can't see anything in the rear view mirror. that's a pain in the ass when I drive up the mountains with my bikes in the back and can't see what's behind me. Wish BaK industries would do like a trade-in program or something. Already spent almost $600 on the original bakflip which cracked, however the own of bakflip did replace it with an all metal version which was really cool of him.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
Thumbs up

For all those considering a roll-x: really like it.
few pics to see it in action. Got it from headstrongoffroad.com when they had a sale under the "deals & coupons" last month. great company.
Attached Thumbnails
BakFlip Roll-X-img_2833.jpg   BakFlip Roll-X-img_2838.jpg   BakFlip Roll-X-img_2840.jpg   BakFlip Roll-X-img_2836.jpg  
Old 09-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
How is the cover secured when it's rolled back against the window? Straps?
Old 09-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #16
One strap on each side, just clicks in and pull it tight.
in the 2nd photo look at the 2 corners near the cab and you can see where it clicks in.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #17
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One strap on each side, just clicks in and pull it tight.
in the 2nd photo look at the 2 corners near the cab and you can see where it clicks in.
Thanks
Old 09-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #18
Bearded Bandit
RigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRigidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RigidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Will it work with one of those bed devidors? Trying to sort a way where I could hold my gear in place with the cover down.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #19
depends on how big the divider is. I have a bed extender that fits underneath to divide the bed space and it works with that. as long as you have some clearance i think it should work
Old 11-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #20
GMC has a brilliant futureGMC has a brilliant futureGMC has a brilliant futureGMC has a brilliant futureGMC has a brilliant futureGMC has a brilliant futureGMC has a brilliant futureGMC has a brilliant futureGMC has a brilliant futureGMC has a brilliant futureGMC has a brilliant future
GMC's Tacoma Gallery
rBenner, any updates on how water tight this is?

I am about to pull the trigger on one and wanted to know if you ever get water in the bed. If so, how much?

I have alot of equipment in mine and my Rugged Cover tri-fold is not cutting it

Thanks