Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Is Toyota This Cheap?

Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Kevinztaco has a spectacular aura aboutKevinztaco has a spectacular aura about
Kevinztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Is Toyota This Cheap?

I bought this 2013 Taco about a month ago and I was wondering why the engine bay gets so dirty so soon after a few days of driving on the salted roads. I looked and suspected that this gaping hole may have been the culprit. Both sides between the front tires and the engine compartment have nothing there to keep dirts, grimes, salt, or splashes away from the engine compartment. Is this normal for all Tacos?

Is there anything out there I can buy to fix it or should I take it back to Toyota and point it to them ? My 2000 Taco Access cab had nothing shocking like this $34k Taco.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
fouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Riley
fouillard13's Tacoma Gallery
Their should be a little rubber cover?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah my 07 had a cover but 2-3 wheeling trips and it came off any way.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Don't think mine ever had a cover there.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post3175314

Yeah I don't think I've ever had a cover behind the uca.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
You might be able to peice some of this stuff in there. Unless you get rubber and rivets
http://www.autotempairandsound.ca/au...dynamat-custom
Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Why yes I think they are indeed this cheap. If I am not wrong I think mine does not have a cover on it as well.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 06 and think about upgrading but the more i read in here about the 12's and up. i think it may not be such a good idea.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
Uh yeah all 05+ Taco's have that hole there along with the 2 rubber "shields". My engine bay gets dirty as shit and salty here in Ohio but normal.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinztaco View Post
I bought this 2013 Taco about a month ago and I was wondering why the engine bay gets so dirty so soon after a few days of driving on the salted roads. I looked and suspected that this gaping hole may have been the culprit. Both sides between the front tires and the engine compartment have nothing there to keep dirts, grimes, salt, or splashes away from the engine compartment. Is this normal for all Tacos?

Is there anything out there I can buy to fix it or should I take it back to Toyota and point it to them ? My 2000 Taco Access cab had nothing shocking like this $34k Taco.

My 07 has the same open area... completly normal. If your driving on salted roads though getting the engine bay a little dirty will be least of your problems.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Good point^^

I need to make some fender liners.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery

rubber, drill, aluminum rivets, touch up paint, and carry on with your life
Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
My 07 has the same open area... completly normal. If your driving on salted roads though getting the engine bay a little dirty will be least of your problems.
A complete rust proofing job and frequent truck wash will reduce some some of my anxiety about seeing her rusting away like butter on a hot pan. The problem is, the pressure wash spray salt, dirt, and grimes right through that gaping hole into the engine compartment. Oh well....! Gotta have to be creative on this "poor man's truck".
Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Step 1: Those two holes above the shock mount, will the round black snaps fit in there? If so buy 4 of those from dealership, buy some thing rubber like the the stuff on there and make your own engine compartment cover thingy. Maybe rivet it to the factory flaps also.

Step 2: stop crying
Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
Step 1: Those two holes above the shock mount, will the round black snaps fit in there? If so buy 4 of those from dealership, buy some thing rubber like the the stuff on there and make your own engine compartment cover thingy. Maybe rivet it to the factory flaps also.

Step 2: stop crying
1. Sure, will have to be creative.

2. Love to cry over spilled milk hahaha...! Nah...just a little disappointed w/ Toyota.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen FTW
Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #16
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You could get flaps from an older Toyota at a wreckers, and attach it.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #17
2012 Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Navy: Attack Squadron 82
Name: Todd
2012 Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

My 2012 looks is exactly the same 'cept for the SR5 shocks
Old 01-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #18
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
(snip) Both sides between the front tires and the engine compartment have nothing there to keep dirts, grimes, salt, or splashes away from the engine compartment. (snip)
Heck, to be honest, I don't see how Toyota could effectively cover in that area. I see a whole lot (shocks, suspension arms, lines, etc) sticking through, much of it going well past your image area. How would you fix it, wrapping whatever (rubber cover, etc) around all that stuff?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #19
Ahhh...., just dug up an old photo of my far gone 2000 Taco Off Road Access Cab and how it was covered so well. I could aim the high pressure washer right in there and the dirt and salt would not be blown toward the engine compartment. Toyota has been cutting corners and getting their azzes on the cheap side nowaday !

Old 01-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
you can purchase some pond liner at home depot.
then some clips from NAPA...

and do your own thing

I used the stuff to replace all of my wheel well liner(s)
after installing a 1" BL

still holding