Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Great Bakflip VP Tonneau Cover Images and Install Video!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Brian AutoCustoms is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
Brian AutoCustoms's Tacoma Gallery
Great Bakflip VP Tonneau Cover Images and Install Video!

Just got my second product for the Tacoma. After installing the Bedrug, I purchased a Bakflip VP and love it. The installation was simple, and I love the images we took. The VP has been perfect so far, I just need a locking tailgate soon. Of course I get the inside deal, but I think it's easily worth the price after using almost every cover in the industry.

Let me know what you guys think.

Bakflip VP Installation Video on Tacoma

Bakflip VP Images on Tacoma
Old 01-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Gatebag is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
Gatebag's Tacoma Gallery
The video is great. I am looking for a tonneau cover and have focused on the Fibermax. Did you look at that one?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
Yes I work for AutoCustoms.com, so I've been able to use just about every cover available. The Fibermax is the best value Bakflip cover, but I love the way the VP looks.

You might be interested in the comparison video we shot. I have it on one of our other sites.

Click on the "Bakflip Comparison" tab for a great video and chart that breaks down the Bakflips. Bak Comparison Table and Video.

We have the Fibermax on a Tundra here. Let me know if you'd like to see anything specific.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Father is on a distinguished road
Father's Tacoma Gallery
Finally... I've watched several videos and none of them showed that you actually have o drill into the bed to run that drain tube. I'm not crazy about drill anything.. I always feel like it will compromise whatever anti-rust coating might be there and speed up the rot process that old Toyota trucks seem to be infamous for.

But overall I love the ease of install with this. I'm guess it has a lot to do with the pre-installed deck rails making everything just fall right into place.

I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between the different bakflip models and then if I want to sacrifice the bed space for the rolling one or go with the flip knowing I probably won't run with it open all that often anyway.

Do they recommend that you don't drive with just half of them flipped open?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Father,

Great name. We shot a video about 5 months ago(it is our most viewed video during that time period of the 100's we have) on the Bakflip differences. Check out this Bakflip Tonneau Cover Comparison. Let me know what you think and I can answer any questions.

We also have a comparison chart on the "Bakflip Comparison" tab that customers seem to love. Bak Compare Chart.

As far as the driving goes, Bak recommends that you use a tie down on both side if the cover isn't either fully open or fully closed. Shown here -

As far as the "Rolling cover" - I believe you're referring to the Roll-X. I don't own one but the boss has one on his Tundra. He loves the Roll-X, even better than the Bakflip covers. With the Bakflip, he hates the fact that if the cover is folded up against the cab, you can't use the rear view mirror. The Roll-X doesn't go above the head rests if you have a back seat.

Also if you want to just drop the tailgate and put something in the bed, you have to open a Bakflip before closing the tailgate again. Just some subtle nuances but it annoyed him. He normally wants the Roll-X on his truck. (we're always putting new covers on his Tundra to shoot review and install videos).

The Roll-X will have a great low profile look with a vinyl top - same as the Bakflip VP which I have on my truck. I can take images if you'd like but they won't be on a Tacoma.