Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

NEW TACOMA BUYERS BE WARNED!

Old 01-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
JohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JohnWJ's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

The wife and I have the 2 Gen AC Tacoma in 4x4 tow package I love it's good for all the yard stuff the wife wants and good for going to the range in .
Old 01-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #22
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
I love my first gen 4x4 extended cab TRD+ TRD blower, but I really like the look and size of the 2nd gen, and with Toyota bringing TRD in-house, the 2nd gen's super charge kits are a great improvement over the old (in regards to intercooling and more so OE derived management).

I'm not sure about the 4.0 weighing more than the 3.4. I'll even save myself the google searching and am pretty sure the 4.0 is alloy, the 3.4 cast iron (except the head). The 4.0 could very well weight less than the 3.4. I also like that the 4.0 has timing chains over belts (just had my 3.4 changed). But I really like iron blocks- they can take extremes very well. But the MPGs of the 3.4 blows in comparison to what Toyota could probably get out of it if they re-did it with dual VVT and DI. I think the larger bodied 4.0 2nd gens are getting the same MPG as the little 3.4 1st gens.

All and all IMO I see Toyota kind of loosing their routes and going the way of domestics- bean counting their vehicles into less and less reliable vehicles. I can see how the 1st gens get an almost colt classic like following- I sure don't want to let mine go.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #23
NorCalTacoma is on a distinguished road
NorCalTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 2nd gen dbl cab lb and the size doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes I wish I had a full size diesel truck just because the mileage is the same and the ability to tow a lot more is huge. Just towing my Polaris rzr xp sometimes taxes the Tacoma when pulling up a steep grade. Trying to decide if I should sc the Tacoma or break down and upgrade to a Ram 2500 diesel. Good luck in your decision.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #25
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
Dodge Ram 1500 3.0 V6 turbo diesel coming soon. I like my first gen, have no mechanical reason to move on from it, but damn-- 400hp/tq ecoboost Fords, "small" turbo diesel 1500s... my kind of stuff.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #26
"I think I know more than I do."
Bullfrog is on a distinguished road

Name: McLaren
Bullfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Double cab means a shorter bed. We all have trucks for a reason to put stuff in the bed. So having a bed that is still short even if it is the "long bed" kind of misses the point of a truck.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #27
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Double cab means a shorter bed. We all have trucks for a reason to put stuff in the bed. So having a bed that is still short even if it is the "long bed" kind of misses the point of a truck.
wut

Regular cab = 6' bed
Access cab = 6' bed
DCLB = 6' bed
Old 02-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
Trusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant future

Name: Tony
Trusso24's Tacoma Gallery
My 99 prerunner is the love of my life, but damn would my heart grow in leaps and bounds if it was 4wd.

Thinking towards the future, if I can't even find a 4wd DC first gen now, then it looks like I'll be "forced" to get the second gen DC down the line.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #30
xsptaco07 has a spectacular aura aboutxsptaco07 has a spectacular aura aboutxsptaco07 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jordan
xsptaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddin67 View Post
Soo, lemme start off by stating the obvious, i love toyota. i love the tacoma. obviously, we all do. Now to business...

I have an 04 extended cab PreRunner (yes, 2 wheel drive)
I LOVE MY TRUCK!
PreRunners are awesome, just like every other tacoma. But i dare say, if given the chance, i would not buy the same truck...and here is why.

1st gens are awesome. Smaller and lighter than the 2nd gens, great smooth look, and they are just amazing trucks, and the possibilities...endless.

When i went it to purchase my Tacoma, i had NO idea of the potential of these trucks. Driving it off the lot, i thought to myself " oh yeah, im gonna put a big 6 inch lift on this baby with some 38" mud terrains and a big ol brush guard and tear some shit up"........

then came this lovely website, and my oh my has my view on these trucks changed.
Sooo here is my review...

PreRunners are great trucks for a street rollin mall crawlin daily driver who likes to kick up some dust every now and then. (i am in southern Georgia so i have no experience with dunes and sand)
That being said, i love off roading. and i plan to do a lottt more to this truck then kick rocks with street tires. every one knows about the lightness of these trucks which means they dont get stuck easily, but they lose traction veryyyyy easily. So first mistake, getting a 2 wheel drive.

Extd cab vs double is really a matter of self opinion. On one hand, its nice to be able to say "sorry man, ive got my subwoofers in the back...no room". on the other hand, when your girl wants to bring two of her hot friends and you look in the back seat, you think "f!@# my subwoofers". i like my extd cab but my next tacoma will definitely be a DC.

now 1st gen vs 2nd gen. Im not an expert so dont quote me. Yes the 1st gens are smaller and lighter, but so are their engines. 3.4L vs 4.0L...you be the judge. i like the 1st gen body style but im getting bored. ive always loved the look of the 2nd gens and have recently grown fond of their bigger size. The new body style looks more aggressive and just "sharp".
In conclusion, while 1st gens and PreRunners are great in all their own ways, i will not be going back. My next truck will be a 2nd gen trd off road double cab. More truck, more engine and in my opinion...more possibilities.
I couldnt agree with you more. I made the mistake of getting a 2wd aswell, and i am selling it. Only after putting 4k into it, though.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #31
yota90ca is on a distinguished road
yota90ca's Tacoma Gallery
Yep each generation of the Tacoma has it purpose, her up north of the 49th Parallel, the 2nd's do way better in the Snow, yes down further south you ask what this Snow stuff I am talking about is, never mind about it. The 2nd Gens do way better because of the weight.

Was on a trail run a couple weeks ago and the only 1 gen was the only one to get really stuck on the hill.

if you need the room in the cab but can scrafice the cargo capacity in the box there is a 5' box for the Tacoma which makes it the same length as a AC
Old 02-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #32
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddin67 View Post
One reason that I'm dying to have a 2nd gen....BHLM. cause damn it is sexy
I would love to do mine but I'm skeered.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #33
bdsorcic is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
bdsorcic's Tacoma Gallery
Tacos are still one of the most cool trucks around, but it ain't all the same anymore, once they know they are popular, all Hell breaks lose. Everyone is in it for the money, thats all. We all lose period! The Company and suppliers cut corners to steal your money all just for aftermarket goods!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #34
Outlaw 525S member
23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed23dec2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
23dec2007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvt0508 View Post
I love my prerunner.. it gives me an excuse to keep a nice truck and go with someone with 4wd and watch them tear the crap out of it.. and I still drive home in my beauty queen
Ditto!!