1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEW TACOMA BUYERS BE WARNED!

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by puddin67, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Jan 13, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    puddin67

puddin67 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5
    Westin bull bar with blacked skid, 6000k xenon bulbs, 2 Almani 12" subs, 1600 w Boss amp, Kenwood head unit, AVS rain guards, removed mudflaps, UWS toolbox, 3/4 debadged, blacked grille emblem, blacked tail lights, sockmonkey 3rd brake light cover
    Soo, lemme start off by stating the obvious, i love toyota. i love the tacoma. obviously, we all do. Now to business...

I have an 04 extended cab PreRunner (yes, 2 wheel drive)
    I LOVE MY TRUCK!
    PreRunners are awesome, just like every other tacoma. But i dare say, if given the chance, i would not buy the same truck...and here is why.

1st gens are awesome. Smaller and lighter than the 2nd gens, great smooth look, and they are just amazing trucks, and the possibilities...endless.

When i went it to purchase my Tacoma, i had NO idea of the potential of these trucks. Driving it off the lot, i thought to myself " oh yeah, im gonna put a big 6 inch lift on this baby with some 38" mud terrains and a big ol brush guard and tear some shit up"........

then came this lovely website, and my oh my has my view on these trucks changed.
    Sooo here is my review...

PreRunners are great trucks for a street rollin mall crawlin daily driver who likes to kick up some dust every now and then. (i am in southern Georgia so i have no experience with dunes and sand)
    That being said, i love off roading. and i plan to do a lottt more to this truck then kick rocks with street tires. every one knows about the lightness of these trucks which means they dont get stuck easily, but they lose traction veryyyyy easily. So first mistake, getting a 2 wheel drive.

Extd cab vs double is really a matter of self opinion. On one hand, its nice to be able to say "sorry man, ive got my subwoofers in the back...no room". on the other hand, when your girl wants to bring two of her hot friends and you look in the back seat, you think "f!@# my subwoofers". i like my extd cab but my next tacoma will definitely be a DC.

now 1st gen vs 2nd gen. Im not an expert so dont quote me. Yes the 1st gens are smaller and lighter, but so are their engines. 3.4L vs 4.0L...you be the judge. i like the 1st gen body style but im getting bored. ive always loved the look of the 2nd gens and have recently grown fond of their bigger size. The new body style looks more aggressive and just "sharp".
    In conclusion, while 1st gens and PreRunners are great in all their own ways, i will not be going back. My next truck will be a 2nd gen trd off road double cab. More truck, more engine and in my opinion...more possibilities.

2. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    I suppose I can't disagree. But the thing for me about the 2nd Gen trucks is still the size. The larger size is great in a lot of ways but not so much in other ways. If you live in an area where your offroading doesn't require something smaller, then the 2nd Gen would be awesome.

For me, there are some places we go that the 2nd Gen just feels too big. It feels similar in size to my FZJ80 Land Cruiser and that's just big for some of the places I like to go. They'll still make it but the smaller size of the 1st Gen just feels better to me.

3. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    Let's hear it for the Tacoma!!!:taco:

EZ Harley likes this.
  4. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    I honestly would love a 1gen... less computer crap...feel like you can actually be a shade tree mechanic again.. now I have to go to dealership to change fuel filter.. what the heck!..

5. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    dlooney

dlooney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport PreRunner
    Satoshi w/ hella 500s mounted behind, 20% tint, 6K HID retro headlights, 4300k HID fog lights, DTRLs, plastidipped front valence, cb mount
    My one and only regret so far is getting a damn prerunner. But the deal was seemingly too good to pass up, I had the money in hand, I had been waiting for so long to find one, I had to do it. In any case, this will be my first and last 2wd truck :D

6. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    puddin67

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5
    Westin bull bar with blacked skid, 6000k xenon bulbs, 2 Almani 12" subs, 1600 w Boss amp, Kenwood head unit, AVS rain guards, removed mudflaps, UWS toolbox, 3/4 debadged, blacked grille emblem, blacked tail lights, sockmonkey 3rd brake light cover
    I see what you're sayin, size is a pro and con for both trucks. Plus its a huge difference when it comes to the actual driving of the truck itself

7. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    puddin67

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5
    That was my problem! Def the last PreRunner I will own

8. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    I love my prerunner.. it gives me an excuse to keep a nice truck and go with someone with 4wd and watch them tear the crap out of it.. and I still drive home in my beauty queen

9. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ya, I really like the AC. I think it's idea for anyone without a family.
    DC? I guess the DCLB is as useful as any Tacoma, but that's a LONG assed truck and doesn't fit in many garages. Personally, if I had a need for a DC, I'd just go with a 4-Runner or FJ.

I've got an RC, but that was a matter of lack of bucks. I hate not having lockable storage. There's no place to toss an extra jacket, or to put my hat if I have a passenger and decide that I don't feel like wearing my hat.
    There's limited space behind the seat... just enough for my emergency kit and I can stash a laptop back there, but for the most part, with a passenger, the cab is a write-off.

The shell helps, but it's not terribly secure, and not fully weatherproof, and not convenient to access... gotta' pull out another key, and can't access it when backed into a parking space against landscaping or a wall.

Okay... rant over.
    My next 'Yota will likely be an FJ if they keep making them.
    If not, an AC 4x4 Taco.
    The MPG hit from Prerunner to 4x4 isn't that big.

10. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    dlooney

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport PreRunner
    Satoshi w/ hella 500s mounted behind, 20% tint, 6K HID retro headlights, 4300k HID fog lights, DTRLs, plastidipped front valence, cb mount
    Hahah that's a good point. But then the one time they call you out and you get stuck, you end up lookin like a jackass :rolleyes:

Either way they're awesome trucks and I love mine to death, but I'll own a damn tricycle before I get another prerunner :eek:

11. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    puddin67

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5
    Hahahaha agreed

12. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    puddin67

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5
    One reason that I'm dying to have a 2nd gen....BHLM. cause damn it is sexy

13. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    dlooney

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport PreRunner
    Can't forget about satoshi :drool:

14. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Maybe because Im looking from the other side but I really like the look of the 1st gens. Small, capable,sexy little beasts.
    Still though I dont think I could own one due to the small size. Not big enough.
    I ride fairly small trails (you wouldnt find any f150s on them, mostly quad trails) and yeah it can get tight but still I find it slithers through the bush fairly well.
    I really love my truck, DC wouldnt be an option for me because then Id be looking for a bigger truck (tundra).
    As stated above however I wish it was easier to service with out having a "Toyota Master Technician" connect to a computer and clear codes to solve a problem.
    Still love my truck!

15. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Mebbe.... both?

With a projector retrofit?

[​IMG]

16. Jan 14, 2013 at 4:03 AM
    dlooney

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport PreRunner
    That's what I did :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358165032.272224.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358164918.804471.jpg

17. Jan 14, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    puddin67

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5
    My point exactly

18. Jan 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    DCLB FTMFW

19. Jan 14, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    RedTacoDriver

RedTacoDriver Out of my mind....be back later.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7L
    BakFlipG2, Westin Nerf Bars, Harbor Freight Bed Jacks, Flame Devil Horns, vinyl raven emblems, intermittent wiper switch swapout More to come.
    As with all things this seems to be personal preference and not a design flaw. "Your mileage may vary" seems to be the best that can be said. Some of us love our Tacos and would not give them up. Others have found fault. They are both right.....but only for their situation.

20. Jan 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM
    puddin67

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5
    oh i couldnt agree more, definitely all personal preference. for instance, someone who only wanted a small truck that was 2wd for buzzin around the city, but wanted the best truck on the earth, my truck is perfect. but for someone who prefers the size and look of the newer tacoma and the size of a four door with the capabilities of a 4wd, then thats the way to go. all opinion and preference for sure.

Products Discussed in

To Top