Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

NEW TACOMA BUYERS BE WARNED!

Old 01-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
puddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Zach
puddin67's Tacoma Gallery
NEW TACOMA BUYERS BE WARNED!

Soo, lemme start off by stating the obvious, i love toyota. i love the tacoma. obviously, we all do. Now to business...

I have an 04 extended cab PreRunner (yes, 2 wheel drive)
I LOVE MY TRUCK!
PreRunners are awesome, just like every other tacoma. But i dare say, if given the chance, i would not buy the same truck...and here is why.

1st gens are awesome. Smaller and lighter than the 2nd gens, great smooth look, and they are just amazing trucks, and the possibilities...endless.

When i went it to purchase my Tacoma, i had NO idea of the potential of these trucks. Driving it off the lot, i thought to myself " oh yeah, im gonna put a big 6 inch lift on this baby with some 38" mud terrains and a big ol brush guard and tear some shit up"........

then came this lovely website, and my oh my has my view on these trucks changed.
Sooo here is my review...

PreRunners are great trucks for a street rollin mall crawlin daily driver who likes to kick up some dust every now and then. (i am in southern Georgia so i have no experience with dunes and sand)
That being said, i love off roading. and i plan to do a lottt more to this truck then kick rocks with street tires. every one knows about the lightness of these trucks which means they dont get stuck easily, but they lose traction veryyyyy easily. So first mistake, getting a 2 wheel drive.

Extd cab vs double is really a matter of self opinion. On one hand, its nice to be able to say "sorry man, ive got my subwoofers in the back...no room". on the other hand, when your girl wants to bring two of her hot friends and you look in the back seat, you think "f!@# my subwoofers". i like my extd cab but my next tacoma will definitely be a DC.

now 1st gen vs 2nd gen. Im not an expert so dont quote me. Yes the 1st gens are smaller and lighter, but so are their engines. 3.4L vs 4.0L...you be the judge. i like the 1st gen body style but im getting bored. ive always loved the look of the 2nd gens and have recently grown fond of their bigger size. The new body style looks more aggressive and just "sharp".
In conclusion, while 1st gens and PreRunners are great in all their own ways, i will not be going back. My next truck will be a 2nd gen trd off road double cab. More truck, more engine and in my opinion...more possibilities.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
I suppose I can't disagree. But the thing for me about the 2nd Gen trucks is still the size. The larger size is great in a lot of ways but not so much in other ways. If you live in an area where your offroading doesn't require something smaller, then the 2nd Gen would be awesome.

For me, there are some places we go that the 2nd Gen just feels too big. It feels similar in size to my FZJ80 Land Cruiser and that's just big for some of the places I like to go. They'll still make it but the smaller size of the 1st Gen just feels better to me.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Let's hear it for the Tacoma!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
I honestly would love a 1gen... less computer crap...feel like you can actually be a shade tree mechanic again.. now I have to go to dealership to change fuel filter.. what the heck!..
Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
dlooney has a spectacular aura aboutdlooney has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dennis
dlooney's Tacoma Gallery
My one and only regret so far is getting a damn prerunner. But the deal was seemingly too good to pass up, I had the money in hand, I had been waiting for so long to find one, I had to do it. In any case, this will be my first and last 2wd truck
Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
puddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
I suppose I can't disagree. But the thing for me about the 2nd Gen trucks is still the size. The larger size is great in a lot of ways but not so much in other ways. If you live in an area where your offroading doesn't require something smaller, then the 2nd Gen would be awesome.

For me, there are some places we go that the 2nd Gen just feels too big. It feels similar in size to my FZJ80 Land Cruiser and that's just big for some of the places I like to go. They'll still make it but the smaller size of the 1st Gen just feels better to me.
I see what you're sayin, size is a pro and con for both trucks. Plus its a huge difference when it comes to the actual driving of the truck itself
Old 01-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlooney View Post
My one and only regret so far is getting a damn prerunner. But the deal was seemingly too good to pass up, I had the money in hand, I had been waiting for so long to find one, I had to do it. In any case, this will be my first and last 2wd truck
That was my problem! Def the last PreRunner I will own
Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
I love my prerunner.. it gives me an excuse to keep a nice truck and go with someone with 4wd and watch them tear the crap out of it.. and I still drive home in my beauty queen
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, I really like the AC. I think it's idea for anyone without a family.
DC? I guess the DCLB is as useful as any Tacoma, but that's a LONG assed truck and doesn't fit in many garages. Personally, if I had a need for a DC, I'd just go with a 4-Runner or FJ.

I've got an RC, but that was a matter of lack of bucks. I hate not having lockable storage. There's no place to toss an extra jacket, or to put my hat if I have a passenger and decide that I don't feel like wearing my hat.
There's limited space behind the seat... just enough for my emergency kit and I can stash a laptop back there, but for the most part, with a passenger, the cab is a write-off.

The shell helps, but it's not terribly secure, and not fully weatherproof, and not convenient to access... gotta' pull out another key, and can't access it when backed into a parking space against landscaping or a wall.

Okay... rant over.
My next 'Yota will likely be an FJ if they keep making them.
If not, an AC 4x4 Taco.
The MPG hit from Prerunner to 4x4 isn't that big.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #10

dlooney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvt0508 View Post
I love my prerunner.. it gives me an excuse to keep a nice truck and go with someone with 4wd and watch them tear the crap out of it.. and I still drive home in my beauty queen
Hahah that's a good point. But then the one time they call you out and you get stuck, you end up lookin like a jackass

Either way they're awesome trucks and I love mine to death, but I'll own a damn tricycle before I get another prerunner
Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Hahah that's a good point. But then the one time they call you out and you get stuck, you end up lookin like a jackass

Either way they're awesome trucks and I love mine to death, but I'll own a damn tricycle before I get another prerunner
Hahahaha agreed
Old 01-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #12

One reason that I'm dying to have a 2nd gen....BHLM. cause damn it is sexy
Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #13

dlooney's Tacoma Gallery
Can't forget about satoshi
Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #14
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe because Im looking from the other side but I really like the look of the 1st gens. Small, capable,sexy little beasts.
Still though I dont think I could own one due to the small size. Not big enough.
I ride fairly small trails (you wouldnt find any f150s on them, mostly quad trails) and yeah it can get tight but still I find it slithers through the bush fairly well.
I really love my truck, DC wouldnt be an option for me because then Id be looking for a bigger truck (tundra).
As stated above however I wish it was easier to service with out having a "Toyota Master Technician" connect to a computer and clear codes to solve a problem.
Still love my truck!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddin67 View Post
One reason that I'm dying to have a 2nd gen....BHLM. cause damn it is sexy
Quote:
Can't forget about satoshi
Mebbe.... both?

With a projector retrofit?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #16

dlooney's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I did

NEW TACOMA BUYERS BE WARNED!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358165032.272224.jpg

NEW TACOMA BUYERS BE WARNED!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358164918.804471.jpg
Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Mebbe.... both?

With a projector retrofit?

My point exactly
Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
Out of my mind....be back later.
RedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT 262d CCS WANG
Name: Dale
RedTacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
As with all things this seems to be personal preference and not a design flaw. "Your mileage may vary" seems to be the best that can be said. Some of us love our Tacos and would not give them up. Others have found fault. They are both right.....but only for their situation.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTacoDriver View Post
As with all things this seems to be personal preference and not a design flaw. "Your mileage may vary" seems to be the best that can be said. Some of us love our Tacos and would not give them up. Others have found fault. They are both right.....but only for their situation.
oh i couldnt agree more, definitely all personal preference. for instance, someone who only wanted a small truck that was 2wd for buzzin around the city, but wanted the best truck on the earth, my truck is perfect. but for someone who prefers the size and look of the newer tacoma and the size of a four door with the capabilities of a 4wd, then thats the way to go. all opinion and preference for sure.