Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Rust Proofing, Rust Proofing, Rust Proofing!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
Kevinztaco has a spectacular aura aboutKevinztaco has a spectacular aura about
Kevinztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Rust Proofing, Rust Proofing, Rust Proofing!

Those of us who have to put up with snowy/icy and salted Roads face the dreaded rusts problems no matter what we try to do to prevent our toys from rusting. I've checked with a local shop that does rust proofing and the guy who does under body coating told me that he would do my Taco for $500.00 + Tax with a 10-year warranty. He said that in order for the 10-year-warranty to not void, I have to pay $35+Tax per year for his shop to check it annually. That's like $900.00 for 10 years. I'm curious if it is even worth the time and money? I'm planning to keep the Taco until it falls apart that is why I'm exploring my preventive options.

Any body has any idea on effective DIY rust proofing technique? Thanks a bunch for any suggestions.

She works like a loyal wife for me so far and I plan to keep it that way for a long time.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of threads on this.
I suggest reading through them to get an idea of the way they are done.
Myself it's Fluid Film and a pressure washer or hose twice a year.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking into this myself lately and decided I'm going to try Eastwood products to treat the frame. I actually bought a complete Fluid Film kit but decided not to use it. Fluid Film is an oily film that never dries. It will do a good job protecting the frame but gathers road grime like a magnet so it'd make it very messy for working on the truck in the future so I decided against it. POR15 seems like a great product but in most of the reviews I was able to find, if you don't do the prep work perfectly, the product doesn't hold up. A recent product I was pointed to seems promising also. It's called Rust Bullet. I just started looking into it and don't know much about it yet. In short though, it seems like as long as you do something, you're better off than 90% of people on the road. Could be as simple as getting under your truck once a year with a wire wheel and a can of spray paint, just gotta keep up with the rust.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I had Toyota rustproof my 2013 truck this time around.
My 2006 looked awful after a couple of yrs. 5 yrs it was a mess.
They did a very thorough job & can go back to get it touched up for the life of ownership.
It has some kind of warrantee too.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Conservative
Executive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Executive's Tacoma Gallery
Fluid Film application with undercoating gun/compressor twice a year, May and November. Give it a good undercarriage wash first and try to spray in every little nook and crevice. Avoid spraying the exhaust or the smell will be repulsive.

Coming up on my first year owning my 2012 and the underside still looks great here in Massachusetts where salt and sand are used regularly. I also tow a boat and launch in salt water. I'm satisfied so far with this method.

Chris
Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
My 03 still looks like new after using liberal amounts of Amsoil heavy duty metal protector and fluid film. Fluid film isn't that cheap though.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
StuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Mark
StuckinOhio's Tacoma Gallery
I was in the same boat as you. I ended up getting the undercoating. In hind sight i am glad i got it done before winter and think it was worth it. They also drilled and sprayed the doors, tailgate, bedsides. I also plan on keeping the truck for a long time so I think it was a wise investment.
Here's the link. there are pics at the end:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...ion-worth.html
Old 02-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Kevinztaco has a spectacular aura aboutKevinztaco has a spectacular aura about
Kevinztaco's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder how thorough those guys are when it comes down to the hidden spots such as the insideand top of beams?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
StuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Mark
StuckinOhio's Tacoma Gallery
Good question. The best way is to stop by the shop and check out the work they do. The only thing that was not sprayed on my truck was the exhaust,heat shield, drive line and spare tire. I pulled the bed cubby boxes out and my bedsides were completely coated like they said so I was satisfied (I know composite bed doesn't rust). I did a thorough inspection on their model car before as well as after i got my truck back. That picture doesn't look like much is coated.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
I had Toyota rustproof my 2013 truck this time around.
My 2006 looked awful after a couple of yrs. 5 yrs it was a mess.
They did a very thorough job & can go back to get it touched up for the life of ownership.
It has some kind of warrantee too.
What did Toyota charge for the rust proofing?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
The regular undercoating like the dealerships apply will develope cracks/holes over time where water will get in and rust... you'll never even see it happening and if you get it re-sprayed it will trap the moister in. Also, the shit covers up every nut/bolt making working on your rig a pita. Like mentioned Fluid Film is one of the best products on the market for rust prevention.