Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Extang Solid Fold Tonneau - 6 Months Later

Old 03-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #21
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krob32 View Post
Contact Truck Alterations. I usually go through Scott at TAO, but no one came close to their prices if you tell them you are a TW member.
10-4 thanks, I'll hit them up!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Another question, how has the paint been holding up on the aluminum top side? I've read quite a few reviews saying it scratches off easily/over time.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
gnstalodz is on a distinguished road
gnstalodz's Tacoma Gallery
been trying to do some research and they seem to leak a lot
Old 04-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Not had any issues so far. I've walked across it to clean the cab roof.
Thanks, you might have gotten the better made line of these tonneaus, reviews I was reading were a little older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnstalodz View Post
I am reading this too, over time the seals along where it folds into thirds begin to leak.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #26
krob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Kelly
krob32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnstalodz View Post
Can't speak for others. As for the last 7 months, tighter now than it was when I first got it. All I can do is update.

Brett, A member here stated there was a slight change to the make over the last few years. Can't find the post now and can neither confirm or deny.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Can't speak for others. As for the last 7 months, tighter now than it was when I first got it. All I can do is update.

Brett, A member here stated there was a slight change to the make over the last few years. Can't find the post now and can neither confirm or deny.
I'll see if I can't find it. I am really wanting to go with the hard fold!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #28
GrandMasterChooch is on a distinguished road

GrandMasterChooch's Tacoma Gallery
I have had the solid fold for a year now. There are some scratches and the seals are wearing out. But I am clumsy and rough with my things. This wear and tear is to be expected. I have probably taken the top off and on about a dozen or so times, and am constantly bumping into stuff in my garage. I think the blemishes make it look rugged!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #29
gnstalodz is on a distinguished road
gnstalodz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupster88 View Post
I'll see if I can't find it. I am really wanting to go with the hard fold!
same. hard top and waterproof that takes up little to none (removal) bed space.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #31
blissfully biased
jparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jason
jparf's Tacoma Gallery
I purchased my Extang Solid Fold last week based on this review. I installed Wednesday. At some point I want to get washers like you have, but for now I just used the included brackets that mount in the bed rail. For the spring loaded clamps, I didn't use the brackets since you really don't need them.

I'm really happy with the quality. It did rain pretty good last night and there was some water but not too terribly much. I can see where the leaks would be since where the gaps are you can see light coming through. I need to get some weatherstrip to seal it better and I think I'll be good. Yes its a lot more expensive than a soft cover but overall I do like it.

Thanks again fro the review. My next purchase will be a tailgate lock to keep it more secure.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Any luck?
No I couldn't find it! Might not have been looking to well for it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparf View Post
I purchased my Extang Solid Fold last week based on this review. I installed Wednesday. At some point I want to get washers like you have, but for now I just used the included brackets that mount in the bed rail. For the spring loaded clamps, I didn't use the brackets since you really don't need them.

I'm really happy with the quality. It did rain pretty good last night and there was some water but not too terribly much. I can see where the leaks would be since where the gaps are you can see light coming through. I need to get some weatherstrip to seal it better and I think I'll be good. Yes its a lot more expensive than a soft cover but overall I do like it.

Thanks again fro the review. My next purchase will be a tailgate lock to keep it more secure.
Yeah this thread has been helpful for me looking at the hard folding covers. You should post some pics
Old 04-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #33
krob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
krob32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Glad you like the cover and the thread helped. I really encourage you to get the lock asap for security purposes. Looking forward to some pics.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #34
blissfully biased
jparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to behold

jparf's Tacoma Gallery
Pictures!

Still debating on the manual or power Pop & Lock. There is some how to's on here for both, just not sure if I really want to tap into any lines & have to pull off trim for the power version. It sure would be a lot more convenient though.
Attached Thumbnails
Extang Solid Fold Tonneau - 6 Months Later-img_5357.jpg   Extang Solid Fold Tonneau - 6 Months Later-img_5358.jpg   Extang Solid Fold Tonneau - 6 Months Later-img_5359.jpg   Extang Solid Fold Tonneau - 6 Months Later-img_5361.jpg   Extang Solid Fold Tonneau - 6 Months Later-img_5360.jpg  

Old 04-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #35

Great pics man, looks really good! Gave me the itch to get one ASAP! As for manual or power pop lock, I'm going with manual for ease of installation. My old Silverado had the manual locking tailgate and it wasn't too much of a hassle to lock/unlock it.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #36
Army:
krob32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pictures!

Still debating on the manual or power Pop & Lock. There is some how to's on here for both, just not sure if I really want to tap into any lines & have to pull off trim for the power version. It sure would be a lot more convenient though.
I went with the manual lock. For me, a key is more reliable. It's up to you.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #37
blissfully biased

jparf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I went with the manual lock. For me, a key is more reliable. It's up to you.
I went with the key. Pop n Lock came out with a Super White recently so I ordered that. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Didn't realize they had color match. That's great. Hope you enjoy.
Honestly, I didn't know either, but I never looked.

http://www.popandlock.net/Manual_Tai.../Manual_Toyota

$85...not too bad if ya ask me.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #40
blissfully biased

jparf's Tacoma Gallery
It was 62.99 from truckalterations.com. I'm not terribly impressed with it.

Wrote a review here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...te-review.html