Notices

Extang Solid Fold Tonneau - 6 Months Later

Old 06-12-2014, 03:43 AM   #83
ranger71 is on a distinguished road
Army: Ranger, Master Parachutist
Name: Mike
ranger71's Tacoma Gallery
Two years and counting

I've installed mine in March 2012 on my 2012 Tacoma. It still works like the day I took it out of the box. No leaks, no rattles, just does what it is supposed to do. I'd buy it again.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:32 AM   #84
fau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to all
Name: Tom
fau8823's Tacoma Gallery
I like mine, but it's definitely not water tight. In fact, there aren't many people I've talked to that have them that claim it's water tight. It appears mine is leaking from under the bed rail caps toward the front of the bed. When closed with the tailgate open, I can see an ever so slight bit of light coming from that area on both sides. And I did use the washers to secure it.

I just accept that it's not water tight and don't put anything down that will absorb water. No biggie.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #85
krob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Kelly
krob32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fau8823 View Post
I like mine, but it's definitely not water tight. In fact, there aren't many people I've talked to that have them that claim it's water tight. It appears mine is leaking from under the bed rail caps toward the front of the bed. When closed with the tailgate open, I can see an ever so slight bit of light coming from that area on both sides. And I did use the washers to secure it.

I just accept that it's not water tight and don't put anything down that will absorb water. No biggie.
Look back on the first page. It shows how to put weather stripping for your issue. Got it free from TruckAlterations. I still don't have leaking.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:08 AM   #86
fau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to all
Name: Tom
fau8823's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, Krob. Yeah, I've put weather stripping all over the place like you have it. Still hasn't stopped the leaking, though it's less than before I put it down. It appears the leak is from water getting under the plastic bed rails and running down into the bed (between the plastic bed rail caps that came with the truck and the sheet metal, not between under the bed cover). So I guess, technically, the bed cover is water tight. That is, if that's where the leak is coming from.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #87
JimTotem is on a distinguished road
JimTotem's Tacoma Gallery
Was there anything special about the weatherstripping? …Home Depot? I have a Fold-a-Cover (7 years old) and want to replace it. I use my rails & cleats constantly, so most of the hardcover options are unacceptable. The Bakflip looks like a great cover, except for the rail issue. Bakflip has no plans to make a cover with rails still usable - I called them. Thanks for your time.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #89
(.)(.)
outdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to behold

outdoorgb's Tacoma Gallery
I spent two weeks researching tonneau covers. Good thing is...there are lots of choices.
I settled on the Extang Solid Fold for a few reasons important to me:
- easy on, easy off (installing the pop and lock this week)
- keeps factory rails in use
- can store this in my garage when needed
- got a great deal from Tonneaucoversworld.com buy using the chat feature. Just asked them via chat "what's the summer deal"...asked where I lived then took $50 off

Should arrive this week. Thanks for doing the follow up reivew OP...I'll report my results in time.

ETA: arrived with a big puncture wound through the box and one layer of tonneau. Fedex guy left it in front of garage without a signature...guess what asshat...i don't accept shipment and back it went to the local fedex facility. We'll see how the seller responds.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #90
krob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
krob32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgb View Post
ETA: arrived with a big puncture wound through the box and one layer of tonneau. Fedex guy left it in front of garage without a signature...guess what asshat...i don't accept shipment and back it went to the local fedex facility. We'll see how the seller responds.
Good grief. Several boxes over the last couple of months have been beat up regardless of carrier.

Completed two long multistate trips in last two months. Everything was dry as a bone. MTF.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #91
blissfully biased
jparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jason
jparf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgb View Post
I spent two weeks researching tonneau covers. Good thing is...there are lots of choices.
I settled on the Extang Solid Fold for a few reasons important to me:
- easy on, easy off (installing the pop and lock this week)
- keeps factory rails in use
- can store this in my garage when needed
- got a great deal from Tonneaucoversworld.com buy using the chat feature. Just asked them via chat "what's the summer deal"...asked where I lived then took $50 off

Should arrive this week. Thanks for doing the follow up reivew OP...I'll report my results in time.

My box was beat up too but not as bad.

Get a refund and go to Truck Alterations. After code 'FOLD149' and you'll get $150 off making it $650 shipped. Look in the middle of the page for the other offers.

http://truckalterations.com/html/extangsf.html
Old 08-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #92
(.)(.)
outdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to behold

outdoorgb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparf View Post
My box was beat up too but not as bad.

Get a refund and go to Truck Alterations. After code 'FOLD149' and you'll get $150 off making it $650 shipped. Look in the middle of the page for the other offers.

http://truckalterations.com/html/extangsf.html

Excellent. You just saved me $100. I canceled my previous order and received the refund on my Visa.

I owe you one!

ETA - I said F'it! went and ordered a new Leer 100XR...I've been a canopy guy for ever. I live in Oregon...= rain. Thanks again for the heads up.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #93
truckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant future
truckalter's Tacoma Gallery
Wow... this thread has hung around for a while...lol
Old 10-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #95
Skeetdad is on a distinguished road
Skeetdad's Tacoma Gallery
I'm selling mine...

Don't have a need for the tonneau anymore. We're using the Tacoma as a dirt bike hauler. I have a shortbed Extang trifold...$400, no shipping.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #96
flanders1914 is on a distinguished road
flanders1914's Tacoma Gallery
Smile love my G-4 Elite Fold-a-cover

Hi :
I'm new to this site, read these interesting threads. I have a 2014 "access cab", which was good to store my carpenter tools [I'm retired carpenter, but still do side jobs], the jump seats are really no good, unless your a kid. I decided to get a hard folding cover for my table saw or larger items, I needed security and something to keep the weather off. I did a lot of research and decided the G-4 fold-a-cover would met my needs the best it's a little pricey, $820 from the factory, free shipping and no sales tax,I got it in 3 days. I has 4 solid panels with stainless piano hinges, you can open it in the front or back, both of those panels are lockable, if you stack it behind the cab you have 75% the bed instead of 66%. I've driven on the highway with it all stacked no trouble, you have 3 snap straps to secure it. It's only 98% water tight, after a wash and heavy rain only 2 tablespoons of water got in. When you lock the back it also locks the tailgate. no need to buy a $40 plus "pop and lock".
To remove the cover, just 4 bolts, takes less then 5 minutes, that is something I don't do every day. I'm glad I didn't cheap out with something else, looks good and I have no regrets. Should last as long as my truck.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #97
BarnyardTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
BarnyardTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I bought one last month when I bought my Tacoma. Has a really clean appearance, especially on my black truck. I have noticed some water during rain storms and hope the weather stripping can solve that problem for me. I do like the ease of use and security the cover provides though. I bought the manual pop and lock tailgate lock, which has been great as well.

Thanks for the review
Old 10-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #98
Army:
krob32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnyardTaco View Post
I bought one last month when I bought my Tacoma. Has a really clean appearance, especially on my black truck. I have noticed some water during rain storms and hope the weather stripping can solve that problem for me. I do like the ease of use and security the cover provides though. I bought the manual pop and lock tailgate lock, which has been great as well.

Thanks for the review
Weather stripping and the washers on the front clamps should fix the issue. I had to work a little to find just the right lay for the stripping to seal. Getting a lot of rain here of late and no issues still. Good luck.