Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Review of Kragen HID Lamps

Old 02-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
13th wunder
chyknees will become famous soon enough
chyknees's Tacoma Gallery
Review of Kragen HID Lamps

Picked up 2 7" Kragen HID lamps last week. Swapped out my middle 2 Piaa 520's for the Kragen ones.

Paid $99 each. Wiring was simple as they have built in ballasts. Just power and ground, comes with an inline fuse. I would definately add a relay if you install them, just for safe keeping.

Compared to the Piaa 520's, of course they are just regular bulbs, in size and brightness, makes my Piaas look like baby lights lol. But the Kragen lights light up dark streets really well. I will take some photos after I reinstall my HIDs in my headlights.

The pattern is more of a wide, everything forward is lit pattern. lol.

Side comparison w/ a Piaa 520
Old 02-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
CAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really nice

CAdiveTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Who makes your light bar?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
N-fab light bar yeah i almost got those hid's but went with slimcubby cant wait to see them lit up.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
13th wunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAdiveTaco View Post
Who makes your light bar?

like socalman22 mentioned, it is a N-Fab light bar.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
CAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really nice

I like that it's fairly low profile, did you order directly from Nfab how much did it run you?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
13th wunder
I ordered mine from 4wheelparts. When I got mine, i didn't know i could go direct w/ Nfab. If i remember the price correctly, it was like $150ish.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyknees View Post
I ordered mine from 4wheelparts. When I got mine, i didn't know i could go direct w/ Nfab. If i remember the price correctly, it was like $150ish.
Thanks for the response, Nfab website does not show pics of all their products so it's tough to get an idea of what they look like.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
wfbont007 will become famous soon enough
wfbont007's Tacoma Gallery
How have the Kragen light been holding up??
Old 06-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
13th wunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfbont007 View Post
How have the Kragen light been holding up??
I swapped all my Piaas out for the Kragen 7" HID's. So far they have been great. No complaints at all. Super bright and good price for them.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
wfbont007 will become famous soon enough
wfbont007's Tacoma Gallery
Just found the same HID lights at a great price.

http://www.sidebysidesports.com/7hidoflica.html
Old 06-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
13th wunder
Go to Kragen. $99 for it.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
i bought a pair last week..on sale for 89 bucks each...great light for the price, no complaints
Old 06-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #13
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyknees View Post
Go to Kragen. $99 for it.
Just looked..@139.00
Old 06-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfbont007 View Post
Just found the same HID lights at a great price.

http://www.sidebysidesports.com/7hidoflica.html

that is a good price for the 4 pack, why don't you guys just convery some hella's or piaa's.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #15
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Hello... I wanted to give any serious off roader a heads up on these Kragen/ Chinese HID lights... I got a pair a year ago and my step-son custom made me a light bar to mount them on my '05 Tacoma.

They are very bright and create true daylight thanks to the HID output. It is a driving beam which lights the area of your headlights, just more true daylight color.

My third Baja trip with these lights took me to Gonzaga Baja and also south of L.A. Bay... After 70 miles of shaking, the ABS plastic housing cracked... one light first, then the next day the other... So, if you want something that is going to take some punishment, you may want to consider metal lights.

Last week, for Father's Day, my step-son surprised me with these Hella 4000 metal lights... I installed them right away. They have a 100 watt halogen bulb which is plenty bright... and are pencil/ spot beams instead of the oval driving beam of the HIDs... They concentrate the light a greater distance down the road.

I am researching the HID conversion kits available for H1 Halogen lights, because I really did like the color and brightness of HIDs... I will post what I find and install.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #16
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
glad to know, that is why i bought lightforce lights, also glad to know someone else goes down to gonzaga/ la bay.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #17
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
glad to know, that is why i bought lightforce lights, also glad to know someone else goes down to gonzaga/ la bay.
10-4, Gonzaga Bay, Mision Santa Maria, all the great places! M.Sta.Maria trip pics: http://vivabaja.com/msm

Do you read BajaNomad forums?
Old 06-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
10-4, Gonzaga Bay, Mision Santa Maria, all the great places! M.Sta.Maria trip pics: http://vivabaja.com/msm

Do you read BajaNomad forums?

no, the only website i check out is bahiadelosangeles.com, I was supposed to be down their this week but work was in the way, great dirt bike trails and fishing and just hangin out.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #19

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
no, the only website i check out is bahiadelosangeles.com, I was supposed to be down their this week but work was in the way, great dirt bike trails and fishing and just hangin out.
Mia's bahiadelosangeles.info ? Yes, I have posted a bit there... but it is pretty dead compared to Nomad http://forums.bajanomad.com
Old 06-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Mia's bahiadelosangeles.info ? Yes, I have posted a bit there... but it is pretty dead compared to Nomad http://forums.bajanomad.com
cool, i will check it out, i want go back in november for the baja 1000