Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Preferred sidesteps?

Old 03-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Tacofritter is on a distinguished road

Tacofritter's Tacoma Gallery
Preferred sidesteps?

Hi guys I'm needing to get some sidesteps and am looking at the body armor or the iron cross designs, mostly because they maintain a lower profile and still offer a good platform for the step. I also was looking at these two because they look pretty solid and form the reviews I have read they can handle some abuse. I want rocksliders but since my taco is for play and for the fam I need to get sidesteps instead. Any suggestions or other brands I should look into?
Old 03-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Nfab
Old 03-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Sliders and just step on them
Old 03-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
You can step on these, they dont get in the way like a lot of steps do & they provide great protection.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
krob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Kelly
krob32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacofritter View Post
Hi guys I'm needing to get some sidesteps and am looking at the body armor or the iron cross designs, mostly because they maintain a lower profile and still offer a good platform for the step. I also was looking at these two because they look pretty solid and form the reviews I have read they can handle some abuse. I want rocksliders but since my taco is for play and for the fam I need to get sidesteps instead. Any suggestions or other brands I should look into?
Just remember steps are not body armor. If anything they can cause damage. They bolt to the body and not the frame. The steps lower your clearance and if they hit something, it could be a costly issue. I had nFab/Smittybilt Steps, but changed to sliders.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
Tacofritter is on a distinguished road

Tacofritter's Tacoma Gallery
4Wheelin4banger, who makes those and are they rocksliders
Old 03-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Relentless Fab and yes they are. Lots of venders on here make them
Old 03-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
tacoma4x4driver is on a distinguished road
tacoma4x4driver's Tacoma Gallery
I'd do sliders and just install them to come straight out instead of the 15% up angle alot of them do. That way you still have good protection. They also provide an easier jack point. Install some anti skid tape if needed on the step area if worried about slipping. I have smittybuilt step bars atm and they have worked well for using as a step, but provide no protection and bend up if you try use a jack under them. I'll be replacing them with sliders eventually.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Relentless Fab and yes they are. Lots of venders on here make them
Yes Corey is right. Hybrid rocksliders with two piece kickouts welded on by Eric. He also makes streight & one piece kickout as well as no drill bolt on ones.
Relentless Fab Rock Rails. **All Tacoma years and models!** ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Old 03-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #10
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Beefed makes sliders with optional bolt on steps....best of both worlds since they can be removed for hitting the trails.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have a need for sliders but the wife is vertically challenged so steps were in order. I went with the nfab's.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
TacoVP will become famous soon enoughTacoVP will become famous soon enough
TacoVP's Tacoma Gallery
I was having the same issue and decided to go with the N_Fab rock rails and the bolt on detachable steps. Go to http://n-fab.com/ and put in your truck year and make and you can see what I'm talking about. I bought mine here 4wheelonline.com
Old 11-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post
I don't have a need for sliders but the wife is vertically challenged so steps were in order. I went with the nfab's.
I have the same issue, my wife barely reaches 5 feet. So just before our first off-road trip a few years ago, just after I bought the truck, I bought some Smitty Suresteps (about $180), The indented non-slip surface is perfect for her. They are NOT sliders in any sense, but they do provide significant side-impact protection.

However, I was disappointed in how short they were (about 48"), and how far down the rear brackets protruded (they are non-drill bolt-on). They seem pretty solid when bolted on. The first few impacts with rocks loosened them up a bit, but tightened up easily. They mount up pretty tight, so not much is lost in clearance.

I'd like to find some weld-on bars that will do all : step assist, side-impact, pivot point, and sliding.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the 3" Nfab. Bolted right up with no issues. Much better than the OEM tube side steps.