1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer Hitch Cargo Carrier

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by tarheelfan_08, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:33 AM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 [OP] Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    Looking at getting a trailer hitch cargo carrier to use on long trips. What is everyone's experience with these? Good or bad? In specific do the carriers bounce while driving or are they pretty sturdy? I will be driving long distances with few stops and do not want to continually check and make sure my items have not bounced out or that the carrier is bending or messing up trailer hitch.

Items I may carry include:

Coolers
    Chairs
    Golf clubs
    Boxes
    Possibly deer or turkey in hunting season

Here is one that I am looking at. With your experience should I get one that folds? Should I get one with bars around it possibly limiting me to the length or wodth of items I can put in. Post yours aswell so I can look at other brands. Here is one like I am looking at.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Curt/C18132.html

2. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I use a hitch carrier for my dirt bike and though it's not a cargo carrier, they are similar in how they react on the hitch.

If you look at the Versahaul, it's got a bracket that pulls the carrier up against the hitch. What this does is stop a good deal of the bounce in the carrier.

This is what it looks like:
    [​IMG]

It helps a lot (I'm lazy and once and a while, I don't use it and I notice it).

As far as bending the hitch, don't exceed the capacity of the hitch or carrier and you'll be fine. I've carried 600# motorcycles with no problem. If you don't want stuff to fall off, make sure it's secure-a cargo net (not the stretch variety) or cargo straps should do the trick.

3. Apr 7, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 [OP] Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    That's awesome

Products Discussed in

To Top