Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

TonnoPro Trifold Cover

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Nola TSS has a spectacular aura aboutNola TSS has a spectacular aura about

Nola TSS's Tacoma Gallery
TonnoPro Trifold Cover

Installed the cover about a week ago so this will not be an indepth review. Will report back in 6 months with a more detailed review.

The top arrived as planned. The box was a little beat up but the contents were in good condition.

At this price point, the cover seems well built and the vinyl is thick. Keep in mind that I have nothing to compare to since this is my first tonneau cover.

Pro's:
- very easy to install. Took about 20 minutes.
-The cover looks like it is well made, the stitching is good. the rubber seal (on the sides and tailgate) is fairly thick and does make a good seal when tightened down.
-The fit is good. The cover stretches well when in place and tightened down. This cover did come with the rail kit. The kit is just 4 aluminum pieces that slide into the track and is tightend down with an allen wrench.
-This cover also came with the tailgate weatherstripping seal and a cleaner for the cover. Have not installed the weatherstripping yet or used the cleaner so I cannot comment on those yet.
- 10 year warranty on the vinyl material and lifetime on the frame.

Con's:
- The main con I have is the lack of a seal against the cab. TonnoPro needs to include a seal and one that is thick enough to match the height of the side rails. I had to use a piece of foam pipe insulation to make the seal. It does worl well but that is a tiny gap between the side rail and the foam on each side. I will need to remove the cover and see if I can get a better fit of the foam insulation I used. If Tonno Pro took care of this, it would make this cover great.
- The latches seem fairly cheap and lightweight. I would like to have seen heavier latches used but I guess TonnoPro did it that way to keep costs down. Overall the latches do hold tight and I do not forsee any issues.

Observation:
I travel 80 miles round trip everyday and have been through one heavy rain storm. The latches stayed secure and the cover did not move while traveling highway speeds. There is a slight "wind shake" when traveling but the cover fits tight and there is no noticable wind noise.
Here in S. Louisiana, we have a heavy rain storm that moved through yesterday and the cover performed great. When I got home, the bed was dry. I was quite surprised by this since there is a small gap at the front of the bed. I would have thought a few drops would have gotten in. maybe if the wind were blowing in the right direction, I think a few drops would get into the bed. But I did not buy this cover with the intention of it being 100% waterproof.
I'll do an updated review in 6 months.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #2

Here's a few pics. I'll take some better shots later today.
TonnoPro Trifold Cover-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365776344.330902.jpg
TonnoPro Trifold Cover-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365776360.681518.jpg
Old 04-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
What is the advantage if this trifold over the rollup? I ask because my roll up needs replacing after 5 years and I'm in the market.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #4

Not sure if there are any advantages. I just preferred the look of the tri fold. When I started looking around, everyone recommended a tri fold vs a roll up. Didn't really question it.
My brother in law has a roll up and his does not fit as tight as the tri fold and it does flap in the wind.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #5

Few more pics.
TonnoPro Trifold Cover-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365801751.676997.jpg
TonnoPro Trifold Cover-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365801763.500639.jpg
TonnoPro Trifold Cover-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365801774.979272.jpg
TonnoPro Trifold Cover-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365801792.830393.jpg
Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
thebaker will become famous soon enoughthebaker will become famous soon enough

Name: Byron
thebaker's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my tonnopro going on about three years now. I love it. does what it is suppose to do. never had an issue with it.

The only thing I wish didn't happen is that after a while the edges started to wrinkle. It didn't affect the cover in anyway except for the appearance.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaker View Post
I've had my tonnopro going on about three years now. I love it. does what it is suppose to do. never had an issue with it.

The only thing I wish didn't happen is that after a while the edges started to wrinkle. It didn't affect the cover in anyway except for the appearance.
I can see how that can happen. Hopefully the wrinkling will be minimal.
I really wish TonnoPro would put a gasket along the front of the bed to make up the height difference from the sides. All they need is the same type of gasket used for the tailgate.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #8

Here's an update.
It's been three months and still somewhat satisfied.
After washing my truck over the weekend, I noticed two fade lines on the panel closest to the cab. The fade lines run the entire length of that panel.
I emailed TonnoPro and received a reply within one hour. They told me to contact the company I bought the cover from for any warranty issues.
I emailed AutoAnything.com and was told to call their customer service dept to discuss and possibly get a replacent.
Will be calling today.
For those who are interested, ill report what AutoAnything says.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Grunt
Name: Eric
toyohtadude's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at this cover for myself so I'd like to dredge this thread to the top again. What happened with AutoAnything? I've got it in my cart on Amazon... prime shipped at $269.00... not bad? Cheap enough to overlook some of its shortcomings as long as they are cosmetic or fixable.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Had mine for a little over a year and am totally satisfied. I think it's well made and has kept the bed totally dry. There is a small gap at the corners on the cab end but no water so far. If you are worried about water getting in there, a cheap fix I've seen is to add foam pipe insulation along the entire front edge, problem solved.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #11

I used the foam insulation against the cab and it did solve the problem. As for the cover, I am basically satisfied. It is built well. Just have an issue with streaking or fade marks. It makes the cover look horrible. Just have not had time to call AutoAnything for warranty.
As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks guys. The site is listing the product with "new-improved" corner foam but I don't see anything that extends the width of the bed to cover that gap. I'll be sure to fill it all in properly before tightening down. Given the response, I'll click the order later this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola TSS
As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Exactly how I feel. I know it's far from the best product out there but so long as it functions for what I buy it for, I can overlook other issues.

Is there any sort of dye you could get to apply to the cover to make it all black again? Something to look into. Found this: http://goo.gl/2unk0Z

Again, thanks for the follow-up! Have a great Thanksgiving all!
Old 11-26-2013, 03:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyohtadude View Post
Thanks guys. The site is listing the product with "new-improved" corner foam but I don't see anything that extends the width of the bed to cover that gap. I'll be sure to fill it all in properly before tightening down. Given the response, I'll click the order later this week.

Exactly how I feel. I know it's far from the best product out there but so long as it functions for what I buy it for, I can overlook other issues.

Is there any sort of dye you could get to apply to the cover to make it all black again? Something to look into. Found this: http://goo.gl/2unk0Z

Again, thanks for the follow-up! Have a great Thanksgiving all!
Not too sure about a dye. IMO it's a defect and should be covered by the warranty. I'll be calling AutoAnything this week.
The cover is well built and if they installed a gasket at the front it would solve the problem.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #14
oscolivar1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Oliver
oscolivar1's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-3...ace+protectant

Try this, if you want your vinyl to last forever. Works wonders on your interior! If you have the prerunner like I do, makes the plastic front bumper look a hell of a lot better, same goes with the bushwacker fenders.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #15

Thanks. Will have to give that a try.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #16

Just ordered it... 42-501 for the 5' bed Tacoma with rails. $269 with prime shipping. Not a bad deal!

I sent them an email about their product sold via Amazon and here is the reply:

Quote:
hello, YES it would be covered under warranty if you purchase thru AMAZON -- they run all returns thru themselves but would be no problem -- if I can help with anything or you have any problems --- please contact me directly - thanks

if you would need just parts for warranty you can contact us directly for those - if is a full cover warranty - then needs to go thru AMAZON directly

Michele Weismiller
National Sales Manager
Bridgeway Ent/TonnoPro
888-477-3729 ext 207 (9am until 6pm est)
fax# 623-505-0232
www.tonnopro.com
Old 12-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #17

The TonnoPro has been on for 3 weeks and survived 3 big rain storms and two big snow storms. No problems with any leaks. I wanted to point out that they have not addressed the gap in the front by the cab and you do need to fill this with your own weather strip or a cut of pipe insulation (rigid stuff). The rest of it fits very well and there's been zero issues with any noise or vibration and I'm not easy on the gas pedal. For the money, this is a really great cover for the bed. I'll try and remember to get some photos of the gaps and how I filled them in.

For now, here's one with it installed.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:01 AM   #18
John 2013 is on a distinguished road

Name: John
John 2013's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like I purchased the same one from the same place. It's been on for about 3 weeks now & mine fits the exact same way ( gaps in the corners & tailgate ). So far so good I like it.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #19
panicfan is just really nicepanicfan is just really nicepanicfan is just really nicepanicfan is just really nice

panicfan's Tacoma Gallery
How does this cover work when folded? Can you drive with it like that? Does it strap down?

I am trying to decide tri-fold vs. roll. I think I like the look of trifold better but curious about functioning when folded. D
Old 01-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #20

It works fine when folded. It has two straps to keep it secure when folded. Traveled highway speed w no issues.

Products Discussed in this Thread