1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SPC LIGHT RACING UCA'S

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by brutalguyracing, May 18, 2013.

1. May 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing [OP] BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    ALL I WILL SAY IS BUYER BEWARE.
    i used to love my uca's from light racing
    that was until i had to replace the uca's 3 times (1st 2 times they stepped up and did the right thing) they replaced them free of charge......
    yes i followed their instructions to the tee.....
    i have also had to replace the ball joints every year i am now on my third set....
    1st and 2nd set they replaced for free
    the 3rd set i had to pay for......
    and i checked them before i installed them and there is pitting on the ball joint "brand new out of box" mind you
    i think quality control is lacking at best with this company
    i know i cant be the only one having these issues......
    do i use my truck yes.....its on the beach allot, mud, 30k+ a year driving
    but i take good care of my truck and maintain everything......

now a while back after the third set of uca's i purchased the spec ride bushings that are supposed to solve all the bushing problems.....
    so the last few weeks i have been having a vibe / shimmy.....i check it out and guess what the freaking bushings are toast and have caused serious damage to my brand new tires "cupping"
    now i am pissed
    so today i decide to pull the uca's off again and remove and replace the old bushings with the spec ride ones.....
    first arm i nick the uca while cutting the old bushing out....
    no biggie i run a bead with the welder grind smooth..all is good
    and i press in the new bushings......and that side done
    now second side....i try to install the new bushing and it wont go in and it tears.:mad:
    well i have had it with these POS UCA's
    i should have went with a different brand....live n learn pay more now for say dsm uca or tc or whoever or save a few bucks and buy these "and then just eat money year after year after year with all the issues these things cause

here are some videos of said issues.....i have had

I WOULD NOT EVER RECOMMEND THESE ARMS TO ANYONE EVER......
    THIS IS JUST MY EXPERIENCE....
    DO WHAT YOU WANT ....BUT IF / WHEN U HAVE PROBLEMS LATER ON DON'T SAY I DID NOT WARN YOU

http://youtu.be/BzJzkmEgibI

http://youtu.be/zGqZc_GN6oI

http://youtu.be/qQcD1tlR8C0

IF ANYONE ELSE HAS ANY PROBLEMS PLEASE POST HERE

2. May 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    That BJ looks dry, and those bushings were garbage from the start. I had the same problem with one of the bushings, and SpecProd took care of em'. I contacted Tech support and they sent me a new set of arms with the new style bushings, and they are still good to go after a year. I drive 30k a year as well, in the north east. I made sure to lube the hell out the BJ before I installed so I wouldn't have to worry bout what you got. I installed a few other members LR UCA's and made sure that their BJ's were lubed as well. I did just recently poke a hole in one of the BJ boots, so I'll be replacing that shortly. When I do, I'll be sure to inspect the condition of all the internals. But so far, I am 100% satisfied with my LR UCA's and also SpecProds customer service.

3. May 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Go Bruins

4. May 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    Sorry to hear about your experience. I did hear about the older models having bushings go out but this is the first I've heard about any other problem. Mine have held up to abuse for over a year without issue. Wierd that you've gotten so much grief from yours.

5. May 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    hilux30

hilux30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PEI
    Vehicle:
    '15 4Dr SB 6MT
    OTT tune 3 degree cam gear OME/Dobinson
    70K and one has a toasted ball joint, both need bushings as the rubber separated, bolts where not seized and torqued properly... Camburg with OEM balls next

6. May 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    X2, Rangers suck

7. May 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    So Scott , are you gonna install the SpecRide bushings you got ?

8. May 20, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    Already did

toycoma 2016 likes this.
  9. May 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Better ?

10. May 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
  11. May 20, 2013 at 10:16 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Running Board Man likes this.
  12. May 21, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    ^70k seems like pretty good lifespan to me. Better than you'd get from an OEM Ford, Chevy or Dodge ball joint. Any reason you're not just replacing the balljoint with another LR one?

13. May 27, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    billyrayaf

billyrayaf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    billy
    waynesville,nc
    Vehicle:
    silver 09 SR5
    6in tuff country, 3.0 king coilovers, crown 7+ brake lines,LR UCA
    hmm just bought a pair of these hope this doesnt happen to me...

trdgentaco likes this.
  14. May 29, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    hilux30

hilux30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PEI
    Vehicle:
    '15 4Dr SB 6MT
    OTT tune 3 degree cam gear OME/Dobinson
    I chose to replace arms to Camburgs because: 1) I can use OEM ball joints (moog) that I can properly grease, made in the US, and are just stronger (I'll leave the details out). 2) I like that you can lube the bushings and the use of graphite urethane as the material. 3) I wanted to re-position the ball joint but keep adjustments only in the control arms. No alignment shop here likes messing with LRs adjustments.

verdict: Even though I still didn't get an alignment yet, this set up (w/ OME 885s) is just amazing. controlled but never harsh considering how nasty the roads here are... I'm not sure why but the LR arms made for nasty bump-steer and highway wondering since new (too much rubber in the bushing?) but all is gone now, just super direct.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  15. Jun 3, 2014 at 6:24 AM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    My ball joints shit the bed just like that last video you posted. Been hearing a creak/ clunk noise for weeks, and lo and behold that's what it is. Mine has about 1cm of up and down movement, so I'm not sure it's safe to drive now. Hopefully SPC offers me a new set, as 20,000 Kms is a pretty crappy shelf life for mall crawler ball joints.

16. Jul 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    Sucks to hear this news, as the LR UCAs seemed perfect for my application- low maintenance ball joints, compliant bushings and price. My truck hardly goes off-road, but is lifted about 2", I wanted something that feels soft on the street, but does better than the OEs with a lift and some off road weekends. The search continues.

17. Jul 30, 2014 at 1:35 PM
    elnip

elnip Well-Known Member

Member:
    LC,NM
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma TRD S/C'd / /'16 T4R Trail
    Taco SC'd, fuel mods, Supra TT MAF, TRD Headers, Water Meth Injection, Tundra Brake upgrade Trail w/URD EL Headers. JFR EL Y-pipe, URD Hi Clearance cat back, KDMAX Tune, 4.56's
    Hmmm, my first gen hasn't had any problems. Is this just a 2nd gen issue?

18. Jul 30, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    at least your arms aren't breaking at the welds like so many others have.

these arms are complete junk.

bad welds

bad bushings

bad ball joints

Whats left to go bad?

19. Jul 30, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    No issues so far with mine in 4 years

20. Jul 30, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    Sje1124

Sje1124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBL Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Just a few
    Replacing mine now because my bushings are toast and mostly gone. Brand new tires cupped already and no alignment shop will do an alignment since theirs a ton of movement forward to backwards on the uca at the bolt.

Products Discussed in

To Top