1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HFT 80 Watt Iron Plastic Welding Kit

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Sandman614, May 29, 2013.

1. May 29, 2013 at 8:50 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 [OP] Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    This tool is a waste of time and money. I will be returning this.
    First off this iron heated up quickly, melted any of the plastics that I used. That's where the pros stop.

While I was using the Iron I noticed smoke coming out of the base of the tip. Shortly after that the brass tip started to flex. I thought I was just putting too much pressure on it. After a few minutes the tip just melted off under it's own weight.

I thought that a component inside burned out so I took it apart. What I found was one 1/4 watt resistor and an LED on a 110v line.... You can see the silk screening has spaces for other components. I wonder if there is another version of this iron that has these components and is worth a crap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

reference:

2. Jun 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    Yikes...I stay away from harbor freight for the most part bc of things like this, lol.

3. Jun 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    Dcpsychobilly

Dcpsychobilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    Bumpers, skids, lights and more lights, trail gear bumper, sliders, front kings, dakar lift leaf springs rear, corbeau seats
    I literally used this about a week ago. It got the job done repairing a pretty mest bumper. I went through the first one in one day, the tip pretty much fell out and was useless. I got another to finish the job (replaced with receipt). This one (still have it) is still in one piece but the tip is loose so it'll probably not work after the next job. Tip quality is crap but what can you expect if it's cheap? And from hf

Products Discussed in

To Top