Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

BakFlip F1 Tonneau Cover -- Quality Issue

Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
ready2dodamage is a jewel in the roughready2dodamage is a jewel in the roughready2dodamage is a jewel in the roughready2dodamage is a jewel in the rough
Name: Shawn
ready2dodamage's Tacoma Gallery
Angry BakFlip F1 Tonneau Cover -- Quality Issue

Purchased/installed one of these BakFlip F1 tonneau covers on my 2006 Tacoma, just under one year ago.

http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/bakflip_f1

First, my reasoning (and what I tell myself so I can sleep at night) behind buying this (stupid crazy expensive) tonneau cover.

(a) It appeared rigid enough to: survive New England winters; secure my stuff; and stand on, if necessary.
(b) It allowed almost 100% use of the bed and I could easily remove it, if necessary.

The good:
  • Allows for full use of the entire truck bed.
  • Almost watertight.
  • Panels (themselves) are extremely strong, handle snow/ice without issue.
  • Stand (momentarily) on it without issue.
  • Easy (+/- one hour) install and less than five minutes to remove.

The Ugly:
After one year of moderate use (fully operating the cover on average of once per week) the cable that connects the locking latches (on the least used panel) pulled through its sleeve crimp. Easy–yet very annoying–fix for a $800+ tonneau cover.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
jtv is on a distinguished road
jtv's Tacoma Gallery
I almost bought one, but the last minute I pulled the trigger on the g4 elite.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
ready2dodamage is a jewel in the roughready2dodamage is a jewel in the roughready2dodamage is a jewel in the roughready2dodamage is a jewel in the rough
I remember really liking the g4 elite, the latch mechanisms and metal hinges looked superior to the BakFlip F1. However, the BakFlip's ability to flip up and out of the way swayed me.

Any gripes about the g4 Elite? How long have you had it on for?
Old 06-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
jtv is on a distinguished road
jtv's Tacoma Gallery
Practically I do not have it on my truck yet. I got an accident after I ordered it. Got it on the 4th day, but my truck was in the body shop for 9 days. Damage through shipping, send it back and waiting for another new one. So I got the cover bit no truck and got the truck with no cover.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
@jtv man, that's a shame. Hope the accident wasn't serious.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Mod/Disassembly
Finally got around to swapping out the cables. Dad had some extra steel cable from a job. BakFlip used "coat-hanger-thin" wire and flimsy crimps.

After removing the locking rails I was able to pull their wire through their other crimps with my bare hands. No wonder it pulled free.

Disassembly Tips:

(1) Remove all the screws! There's a bunch of very small and hard to see (painted black) TEK screws along the locking rails. I marked them with + symbols.

(2) Once all the screws are removed, the entire unit slides out from the rail on either side. There are actually five separate pieces (left lock mechanism, left tension spacer, middle spacer bar, right tension spacer, right lock mechanism) all looped together by the cable.