Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Cascadia Vehicle Tents Roof Top Tents

Old 09-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #61
jkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of lightjkirkpatrick is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jason
jkirkpatrick's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed. Looking at this for the wife and I. Probably next year sometime. Thanks for all the comments so far.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #62
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Just got my awning mounted up...

Old 11-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #63
me and the boyos is on a distinguished road
Name: thomas
me and the boyos's Tacoma Gallery
Planning a two month trip with my 8 & 10 year old boys this summer. There is such a huge difference in price between the African (howling wolf) tents and what I assume to be Chinese tents (Tepui, Cascadia etc.). Is it worth the extra money for Howling Moon? We'll be living in this tent for a whole summer out west. Anyone spend a long time in the Cascadia ?
Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #64
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by me and the boyos View Post
Planning a two month trip with my 8 & 10 year old boys this summer. There is such a huge difference in price between the African (howling wolf) tents and what I assume to be Chinese tents (Tepui, Cascadia etc.). Is it worth the extra money for Howling Moon? We'll be living in this tent for a whole summer out west. Anyone spend a long time in the Cascadia ?
I love my tent and am very happy with the quality of the materials - I know I'm going to get many years of use out of it. This summer alone I spent roughly 25 nights in it and have had zero issues. The construction is pretty solid all around. I can't say how the CVT's compare to the Howling Moon as I've never seen one in person. If you're worried about materials, etc I'd contact each of the companies and see if they have any samples that they could send to you to compare.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #65
Banned
Infra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jason
Infra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by me and the boyos View Post
I recently spent 2 months camping all over Montana, Wyoming & Colorado this past summer in my CVT Mt. Shasta RTT. It worked flawlessly and also created quite the conversation when I stayed in developed campgrounds, which wasn't too often.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #66
We're gonna go from the Cannadian border to Mexico in a 2012 Taco 4 door long bed TRD Sport. Anyone recomend the Cascadia tents for us? The McKinley? Is it worth it to spend the money on an African tent (howling moon, Eezi Awn)?
Old 11-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #67
cool looking rig. how is that spare mounted ? Any problems at all with the tent ?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #69
cjcold is on a distinguished road
cjcold's Tacoma Gallery
I've done lots of camping in my softopper which lacks headroom when used with an air bed. I have got to check these CVT things out. Roof damage anybody?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #70
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my CVT Rainer for almost two years. Spent about 40 nights in it so far from Arizona in May to Minnesota in October. It is awesome.

As durable as the tent is, I did manage to break it last August.

We had just set up camp and made dinner on a hilltop in the SD Badlands when a storm blew in. It dumped 6+ inches of rain and hail in 2-3 hours. The tent wasn't able to shed the water fast enough, and the annex roof filled up and pulled the tent down. I was afraid that was going to happen, but I wasn't going to leave my truck in that storm.

This dog bowl was on the ground - it's about 6" deep and it was full.

The next morning, I thought the tent was toast for sure. I called Bobby at the office, kinda freaked out. Bobby was awesome though. He called me back - while he was on his own vacation - calmed me down a bit, had me send some photos, and had parts shipped out to me in no time. The damage was limited to some bent poles and a broken corner piece - the canvas didn't tear at all. It was no where near as bad as I had thought.

The roof on that tent is ~10x6. With 6 inches of water, that is 30 cubic feet or ~225 gallons. If you assume that the tent shed 90% of that, that leaves 22.5 gallons at 8 lbs per gallon for ~170 lbs up there. [Darth] Impressive. [/Darth]

A++ would tent again. I lurve my CVT, and Bobby is The Shit. Awesome customer service and a great product, too.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #72
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
So besides Monkeyboy, anyone else have any troubles/failures with these tents? In particular the Wyo crowd as I spend a lot of time up there, and the wind can be . . . . brutal. Seeing as they are pretty high profile with lots of wings hanging off, I foresee them catching a lot of wind and maybe snapping poles, anyone been in SUPER high wind with these?
Old 12-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #73
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
So besides Monkeyboy, anyone else have any troubles/failures with these tents? In particular the Wyo crowd as I spend a lot of time up there, and the wind can be . . . . brutal. Seeing as they are pretty high profile with lots of wings hanging off, I foresee them catching a lot of wind and maybe snapping poles, anyone been in SUPER high wind with these?
Yes, I was out in a bad series of storms over 4th of July weekend that included monsoon like rain and lots of wind - I would guess wind gusts of 40-50 mph. I wasn't paying attention to the wind when I set up camp and had the cantilevered portion facing the wind. As I was inside waiting for the rain to stop I could hear this gust coming up the valley. Next thing I know my tent is trying to close up with me inside! The wind had picked up the end of the tent (I had the ladder staked down but the ground was so saturated from the rains that the stakes pulled right out) and the hinges were stuck about 10* from being fully open. I climbed out the opposite end of the tent as I was afraid I might hurt the ladder/hinges by climbing out the correct end. I quickly packed up and found a better campsite with more shelter/trees AND parked so that my ladder was facing away from the wind.

That was the only time that I had an issue with the wind, I learned to pick my campsites a little more carefully and park according to the direction of the winds.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #74
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
Yes, I was out in a bad series of storms over 4th of July weekend that included monsoon like rain and lots of wind - I would guess wind gusts of 40-50 mph. I wasn't paying attention to the wind when I set up camp and had the cantilevered portion facing the wind. As I was inside waiting for the rain to stop I could hear this gust coming up the valley. Next thing I know my tent is trying to close up with me inside! The wind had picked up the end of the tent (I had the ladder staked down but the ground was so saturated from the rains that the stakes pulled right out) and the hinges were stuck about 10* from being fully open. I climbed out the opposite end of the tent as I was afraid I might hurt the ladder/hinges by climbing out the correct end. I quickly packed up and found a better campsite with more shelter/trees AND parked so that my ladder was facing away from the wind.

That was the only time that I had an issue with the wind, I learned to pick my campsites a little more carefully and park according to the direction of the winds.
Wow! I had a similar experience in a very solid and nice tent out in wyo that ended up snapping a pole and making the whole thing fold flat when it gusted. Can you stake down all the corners easy? If you had been able to, do you think it would have been fine, or is just orienting it correctly enough to weather high wind?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #75
Spoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Spoon93's Tacoma Gallery
I do not have one yet but, Bobby is a great guy. I have talked to him on the phone and in person at their showroom in Bend, OR. He has answered all my questions and even bs'd with me for close to an hour the last time I was there in September. The tents feel solid and I know a few people that have had great experience with them. I will rep CVT just because of who Bobby is and the stories I have heard from other people. He will always make it right. Once I get a canopy a Mt Shasta will be put on top.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #76

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
Wow! I had a similar experience in a very solid and nice tent out in wyo that ended up snapping a pole and making the whole thing fold flat when it gusted. Can you stake down all the corners easy? If you had been able to, do you think it would have been fine, or is just orienting it correctly enough to weather high wind?
There's no anchor point on the Bachelor (maybe the Shasta, etc are different, not sure really) but I have tied the ladder down and it works as an anchor point. I've also set up the annex and staked it into the ground to help hold down the cantilevered end.
Everything was working against me that night in the wind storm - no natural wind break, soggy ground, parked wrong - and I'm sure if I would have changed any of those factors it probably wouldn't have happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon93 View Post
I do not have one yet but, Bobby is a great guy. I have talked to him on the phone and in person at their showroom in Bend, OR. He has answered all my questions and even bs'd with me for close to an hour the last time I was there in September. The tents feel solid and I know a few people that have had great experience with them. I will rep CVT just because of who Bobby is and the stories I have heard from other people. He will always make it right. Once I get a canopy a Mt Shasta will be put on top.
You won't be disappointed! Be sure to drop back in and share your thoughts after you've spent a few nights in the tent.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #77
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone else in pdx area plan on purchasing a condensation mat? Let me know
Old 01-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #78
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett707 View Post
Anyone else in pdx area plan on purchasing a condensation mat? Let me know
does bobby have them in stock yet?

and for anyone that has been thinking about a way to store your RTT in the garage or w/e..

I just bought a "Harken Hoister" 200lb limit, 12ft rise pulley system. It has an auto locking system like the string on window blinds. pull straight down and it locks, to release pull out at an angle.

I'm extremely impressed with it and will have to take some pictures to share. Well worth the money and a whole lot simpler than buying a bunch of pulleys and trying to rig something up.

heres a video that shows it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCYDQOTTkS4

Bobby has them listed on his site but I ordered from amazon for around $180
Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #79
Spoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoon93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Spoon93's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^^^^

That's awesome! But $180 !!! You could easily rig something that could be done for half the price and carry twice the weight. But sometimes ease of use is worth the price. I will definitely be rigging something that could hold the weight of a canopy when the time comes.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #80

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon93 View Post
^^^^^^^^^

That's awesome! But $180 !!! You could easily rig something that could be done for half the price and carry twice the weight. But sometimes ease of use is worth the price. I will definitely be rigging something that could hold the weight of a canopy when the time comes.
Yea my original plan was to spend up to $100 at Home Depot on pulleys and ropes and such. The major selling factor is ease of use with the harken hoister. Just think.. You're pulling +/- 150lbs way up into the air, and then you need to secure it some how so it cant fall, all while holding the rope to keep it in the air.

Harken hoister is auto locking so you just pull the rope and let go when you get it where you want it. Then just coil up the rope.