1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cascadia Vehicle Tents Roof Top Tents

Discussion in 'Cascadia Tents' started by MTgirl, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Jun 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl [OP] too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    cascadiatents.com

Something tells me that we are going to be seeing a lot of CVT RTT's showing up on Tacomas here soon :spy:

Tell us what you think about your tent and your experience with the crew at CVT. And let's see some pics of your Tacos and tents!

I had seen these tents in person on a couple of other rigs and was impressed at the quality. They seemed very sturdy, well built and easy to set up/take down. I shopped around at various other brands but kept coming back to the CVT website. I finally gave in and I purchased my Mt. Bachelor this past February and couldn't be happier. I will never sleep on the ground again! Bobby @ CVT was very helpful and easy to deal with - just a quick phone call to ask a few questions and get the specifics of shipping and payment and I was a proud new owner of an RTT.

2. Jun 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    The only downside that I've found so far is that animals don't seem to realize you're up there...and if you know my history with elk then you know why this is a problem :laugh:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
    yote, Armed in Utah and gatty like this.
  3. Jun 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    0LyRunner

0LyRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    I am in the market for one in the near future. I came across CVT and right away seemed like the company to go with, a user friendly website and lots of choices for RTT's.

Can't wait to pull the trigger on one for the Taco.
    I don't know which model tho.... hmmm

What is it you like about yours? the Mt. Bachelor?
    Thanks

4. Jun 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light
    I can't comment on the use of my tent as of yet since I just took delivery of it. What I can say is that after mounting it, and opening it up to inspect it...I am delightfully pleased with the quality of products used to make the tent as well as the construction of the tent.

As far as the customer service part...I was part of the group buy and Bobby did a superb job taking care of all of us who were part of that group buy. He even went above and beyond and delivered tents to guys in Moab, now that's top notch customer service! He also provided his cell phone number for those who had questions and couldn't get ahold of him at the business #. How many companies actually do that?

Would I recommend CVT to anyone wanting to purchase a RTT? Yes, not only because of the quality product they sell but also for the outstanding customer service Bobby and his staff provide!

5. Jun 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    I met Bobby in Moab where he delivered 5 tents to us during a wheeling trip. We met him in town and he followed us up to camp which involved 3 miles of washboard dirt roads and a steep rocky descent. He was towing a 30' trailer behind his f250 :eek:
    He had just driven 18 hours and insisted to not just hand us our tents and say good night, but to work past midnight to install everyone's tents so they could sleep comfortably.

He's a great guy and is working on offering more cool stuff and constantly looks to improve his products.

6. Jun 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    I have the Mt. Bachelor (2-man) and I have also seen the Mt. Shasta (2-man + overhang)
    Coming from someone who has been a ground tenter for many years the roominess of the RTT is amazing. Most ground tents leave something to be desired as far as height goes - getting dressed in a tent can be a chore! But I have no such issues in my RTT. I - being 5'4 - can sit up just about anywhere in the tent and not bump into the poles or ceiling. The size is equivalent to a double bed and there is plenty of room for two people. its still cozy but not quite like a 2 person ground tent where you're constantly bumping into the other person.
    The tent is very sturdy - just this last weekend I was out in a horrible storm with high winds and aside from the truck swaying as the gusts would hit broadside the tent wasn't fazed one bit. I could hear a couple of people at the next campsite yelling when their tent poles broke under the force of the winds and I was completely fine.
    All of the materials seem to be of good quality - heavy canvas walls, sturdy hinges, aluminum poles, comfy mattress - and I expect to get many years of use out of this tent.
    My biggest concern with getting the RTT was its effect on my gas mileage. I can report that I have seen a very minimal drop - maybe 1 mpg. I also mounted the tent a little lower to keep it tucked behind the cab which I'm sure helps some.

Things I would suggest you consider when buying:
    how much room do you need? will it be just you and maybe one other person? The bachelor or shasta would be plenty of room. Might have an extra person from time to time? Or you have lots or gear or pets to keep dry at night? Then go for the shasta, the added space in the annex could be used as a secondary tent (just need a mattress) as it is fully enclosed. got more people and more gear? time to upgrade to the Hood or Rainier. need to house a Brady Bunch sized family? Then you need the McKinley. going to be out in the rain a lot? I'd get the Shasta or Rainier to have the covered entry (my first trip it rained and I neglected to shake the water off of the roof before stepping on the ladder. Ended up with lots of cold rainwater down my backside...NOT a pleasant wake up :eek: ) Got a short bed truck? the Bachelor/shasta fit nicely over the bed, larger tents may need to be mounted higher up to clear the cab, etc.

7. Jun 1, 2013 at 5:13 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I've got a Mt. Hood.

It is like having a Condo on top of your truck.

I slept like a baby.

CVT FTMFW!!

I'd post up my pics but the iPad does not like doing it. :mad:

Pirhett likes this.
  8. Jun 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    0LyRunner

0LyRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Sweet, great review MTgirl and insight on all that CVT has to offer. I am so stoked to buy a RTT and I think I will be using it so much. First event would probably be Watershed Festival at the Gorge in Washington State.

So what about the bed rack... doesn't have to go in depth but who did ya'll go with for a bed rack? I was liking Box Rocket's but not sure how long that would take to get ordered as he is on back order.

I really appreciate this thread being started!! :) thanks MTgirl

9. Jun 1, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
  10. Jun 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO

BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO DUDE MAN BRO

Member:
    First Name:
    Hot Carl!!!
    Roy UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD-Off Road TACO Extra value package
    Icon Ext Travel w/ Resi Front and rear, Dakar leaf springs, total chaos UCA's, color matched rear bumper, color matched satoshi grille with black chrome TRD emblem, konig countersteer offroads (black) w/ 285/75 Duratracs, sockmonkey Trailiens 3rd tail light cover, Tacomaworld.com sticker (made by me), debadged all around, Relentless Front Bumper, Sliders, Rear bumper, and bed bars with Yakima rack w/ full size spare, shovel, hi-lift
    Ill be getting one for my M416 expedition trailer build. Can't wait!

11. Jun 1, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    I'll be getting in on the next group buy no matter what. Still kicking myself for not just doing it this time..

12. Jun 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    SconnieHailer

SconnieHailer PutterClutch

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Double Cab V6 6Speed
    41.4092° N, 122.1949° W is in my near future :spy:

13. Jun 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    CalgaryRider

CalgaryRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shayne
    Cranbrook, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab SR5
    2009 Tacoma SR5 Too many to list, but its a SR5 with a TRD Sport Heart
    been a proud owner of a Mt. Shasta for over a year now, and its been all over the map, Interior BC, Alberta, Moab, Oregon coast, etc and I have 0 issues to report. It sets up quick, I can be parked, set up and asleep in under 5 mins! It paid off the first time I slept in it.

I also mounted my tent below the top of the cab (had custom bedbars made) and my gas mileage has hardly declined.

The upside is that I can keep 2 sleeping bags, 2 pillows and 1 duvet in the tent folded up without increasing the height of the tent. Makes falling asleep that much quicker! My gf and I have used it quite a bit, and there is more then enough room for both of us, and clothes without having to worry about space.

Just a few shots of the tent on the truck, and set up
    81234F9C-638D-4DAE-85CC-CF19D665AE67-488_3974f2d5564300500fba880d892e1bd4fe554ea9.jpg

On Hells Revenge going into one of the hot tubs
    DSC_0181_zps7ff5483f_433d12b6976cce41966b13c186ff6893dbe65a1e.jpg

Set up at a show and shine
    IMG-20120825-00055_c41c1d7c12decaed25a1399cb77c66d87835c090.jpg

Big +1 for Bobby and CVT!

05chaos, Sna and surforegon like this.
  14. Jun 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Oooohh...thanks, Shayne, for reminding me of another bonus! Leaving my sleeping bag in the tent means more room in the cab. I can actually adjust my seat slightly now thanks to the added in-cab space on camping trips :laugh:

15. Jun 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    CalgaryRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Shayne
    Cranbrook, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab SR5
    No worries! There are so many different bonuses to the tents!

I do have one question, who have played with different patterns with the bungee cords to help collapse the tent? I have tried 2 different patterns and seem to have one that works (crossing from top to bottom, from side to side), but just wondering if anyone has tried different patterns?

16. Jun 1, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    I know those socks.. I have a drawer full of tan and blue REI wool socks that my wife likes to wear. The nerve....

FarNorthTaco14 likes this.
  17. Jun 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    So the Shasta is about the same size as the Bachelor but comes standard with the awning? Is that the only difference?

Edit: Nvm it just comes with the 3 foot overhang

18. Jun 1, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    CalgaryRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Shayne
    Cranbrook, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab SR5
    Correct, the Shasta is the same size as the Bachelor, but the Shasta does have the overhang, and it also comes with the annex zip in lower room.

Maybe MTgirl can post up a pic of her tent so you can see the difference between the Shasta and Bachelor.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  19. Jun 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    So is the only benefit that the ladder is inside and there is a little bit more room on the inside? I'm just trying to debate if its worth the extra $400 and then if it is that much better why not just spend the extra $100 and get a Mt Hood lol. Too many choices..

Damn you TW, I wasnt even gonna mod my truck let alone buy a tent for it:eek:

gatty likes this.
  20. Jun 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    I don't have bungees? :confused:

:laugh: love sleeping in my woolies out camping! Cold feet = no sleep for me

no awning, just the extra overhang. all of CVT's tents come with an annex room, its the size of the annex that varies from the bachelor and shasta or hood and rainier

yeah, yeah, gimme a minute...

The TENT is the same size between the bachelor and shasta - roughly 56x96 - the added room is in the annex

Products Discussed in

To Top