1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Soft Topper

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by roughnready62, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    zimm52

zimm52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    sneakin up behind you
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    nothing yet!
    sorry to dig up this old thread, but Im looking to get one of these for a LONG road trip and then of course keep it for a long time. How does it handle with interstate driving? Is it sturdy enough for constant 70 mph travel? Looks like just what I need as far as the elements go and the quick install and taking it off when not needed. Thanks for any more info.

2. Mar 31, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    katoom400

katoom400 New Member

Member:
    thought I would chime in on this thread. I just bought a softopper used for my tundra and love this thing! although I have a few bugs to work out. mine leaked quite a bit the first rain. My buddy also has a brand new softopper on his 08 f250 and his also leaked from the get go.

since mine was used I had some leaking coming from under the side rail, but most likely this was due to the already used (compressed to the shape of the previous truck) weather striping. So I will replace the weather stripiing and see how it seals. the clamps work good but the ends of the track tend to pull up a little. bolting would cure that but I don't like the thought of drilling my brand new bed rails.....

both of us used the provided seam sealer and still had leaks at the seams on the very first rain. I can't speak for his, but mine where leaking at the front and rear where it wraps around the bar and snaps. I will have to try and seal these seams a little better and see how it goes.

I got mine used for $400 (including shipping) so I can't complain at all about doing a little work to get her right.

for me the softopper was the only option since bestop does not make a top for a longbed tundra and hard shells where out of the question since I could not remove them by myself and would need a place to store it as well.

I'm using mine for sleeping in at dirt bike races. when I get there I can take the bike out and have my tent up in 2 minutes!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

softopper_right1.jpg
    softopper_left.jpg
    softopper_right.jpg

3. Jun 2, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    Great info on this thread. Are the current users still happy with this product?

4. Jun 8, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    drive.n.surf

drive.n.surf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB 4x4 OR
    Bilstein 5100's all around, front @1.75", rear AAL 1.5", TRD CAT-back exhaust, Pop n' Lock, Smittybilt nerfs, Toyota roof racks, Spyder LED tail lights, LED third brake light, Undercover Classic tonneau, color-matched grill, debadged and replaced with Sockmonkey decals
    I've had my Softopper for 8 months now. I live in Washington state and it rains pretty often. I find that after driving I do find some water has been "sucked" in through the small gaps at the corners. This water gets "sucked" in with the air passing through the gaps, so the faster I drive the more water I find although it's not too much. However when the truck is not moving, no water gets in, ABSOLUTELY none ! I use the Softopper to sleep in since it's much easier than setting up a tent in the rain.

Because I sleep in mine, I prefer the canvas sides of the Softopper instead of the side windows of the Bestop. If you're using it to camp in I also recommend getting the screen rear window to keep moisture from developing inside. The Softopper takes only minutes to set up and take down. It's one of my favorite upgrades to my truck !

[​IMG]

gm214 likes this.
  5. Jun 9, 2010 at 5:36 AM
    Seener84

Seener84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB SR5 4x4
    Leer 100R
    SO the verdict is soft topper and bestop are both great products and everyone is satisfied overall? Drive.n.surf- Is that the Toyota rack on the top of your truck?

6. Sep 20, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    Tonymorr

Tonymorr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Upstate NY
    Does the Soft Topper have to be removed completely or does it fold like the Supertop?

Thanks

7. Oct 8, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i like these and next summer ima gonna get one so that i can bring my great dane around with me he loves riding in the car lol.

DSC00464.jpg

8. Oct 8, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    roughnready62

roughnready62 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5
    K&N Intake SoftTopper
    I have owned my soft topper for over two years now, it has made a 4,000 mile cross country trip, survive two winters in Alaska, and has been taken down, and put up countless times and still functions flawlessly.

The only thing I can say is when you clean the plastic windows, make sure you hose off all the dirt first, and very gently wipe off any remaining dirt before using windex or whatever you want to use. That will keep the plastic from scratching and keep it nice and clear

9. Dec 7, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    GeatWhiteNorth

GeatWhiteNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgen
    Victoria BC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DC LB
    LR UCA's, 5100 all around, OME 885, add a leaf, Elite Sliders, 285's
    so im looking at getting either the soft topper or the bestop right now im leaning towards the soft topper cause it dosnt have the side windows which seem to get in the way when you fold it down also the reviews just seem better for the soft topper. But i was wondering how easly the soft topper comes off the truck, since i would only have it on when i go surfing and camping?

10. Dec 9, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    roughnready62

Member:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5
    K&N Intake SoftTopper
    I can take my Soft topper off in less than ten minutes. The video on the website show's the guy doing it in around 2. I think that it is incredibly easy to take off, and to put back on. There are two pins that the collapsible frame fits into, and once each side is in, the top unfolds like an accordion.

I've had my Topper now for almost two years. I am extremely happy with it. It is much easier to handle than a traditional truck cap (lighter, much more compact to store). Some have made mention about having issues with waterproofness, but I've not had any issues (except when I powerwash my truck).

hope this helps

11. Dec 9, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    n0rth

n0rth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    2009 Tacoma Access Cab SR5, 4wd, 2.7L URD S/C, 4:88's ARB lockers, 36x9.8r16 Radial TSL
    I've had my softopper for a year now its been great and liked that it came in tan.

12. Dec 12, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Mine is OK, but not what I was expecting. It's up for sale, if you're local.

I'm still mixed - I like the versatility and ease of use, don't like the flapping on the highway and lack of security. If it's not sold, I'll probably upgrade the weatherstripping and figure a way to keep the front anchored better.

13. Jun 24, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    TomHGZ

TomHGZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Frankensport 4x4 AC AT
    Partial list: Vagabond Drifter OR rear axle 4.10 gears Bilstein 6112s and B110s. Dakars with OL leafs replaced by Deaver 3-leaf AALs 265/75/16 Ultraterrains eBay front bumper (I hit a deer and needed a fast cheap replacement) 3rd Gen TRD Pro clone skid
    Is the softopper pictured here the gray or black model?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  14. Jun 24, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    TomHGZ

TomHGZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Partial list: Vagabond Drifter OR rear axle 4.10 gears Bilstein 6112s and B110s. Dakars with OL leafs replaced by Deaver 3-leaf AALs 265/75/16 Ultraterrains eBay front bumper (I hit a deer and needed a fast cheap replacement) 3rd Gen TRD Pro clone skid
    (To clarify, I mean Roughnready's truck.)

15. Jun 24, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    roughnready62

Member:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5
    K&N Intake SoftTopper
    My Soft topper is black.

And it still works just as awesome as it did the first day I got it!:)

16. Jun 27, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    TomHGZ

TomHGZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Roughnready!

Anyone have any experience putting a exo-type roof rack around their softopper or bestop, and if so, pictures?

17. Jun 29, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    TheGreekIndian

TheGreekIndian Well-Known Member

Member:
    does this flap in the wind really bad?

18. Jun 29, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    How you sleeping in your bed? just scruntching up and dealing with it?

VagabondDoc likes this.
  19. Jun 30, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    drive.n.surf

drive.n.surf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB 4x4 OR
    Bilstein 5100's all around, front @1.75", rear AAL 1.5", TRD CAT-back exhaust, Pop n' Lock, Smittybilt nerfs, Toyota roof racks, Spyder LED tail lights, LED third brake light, Undercover Classic tonneau, color-matched grill, debadged and replaced with Sockmonkey decals
    I am 5ft 6in tall, and I can lie diagonally in the short bed of a double cab. I am able to completely stretch out this way so there isn't any discomfort for me. I can see how this might be a problem for taller folks. I figure 5ft 9in or taller might have problems doing this.

Also because of the uneven shape of the bed floor I recommend getting a REALLY good sleeping pad!

20. Jun 30, 2011 at 10:48 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    I'd love the option to sleep in a truck bed - unfortunately at 6' 2" That is not a comfortable option :(

Just to chime in - I love the look of these soft tops. And I generally dont like bed tops at all. However being from rainy Oregon I doubt I'll bother with one when I get my truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top