Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Soft Topper

Old 09-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #21
Tim1968 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
Tim1968's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Tim1968
does the softopper "front" window open at all to allow access to the sliding rear window on the truck? or is it fixed? thanks in advance!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #22
zimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant future

zimm52's Tacoma Gallery
sorry to dig up this old thread, but Im looking to get one of these for a LONG road trip and then of course keep it for a long time. How does it handle with interstate driving? Is it sturdy enough for constant 70 mph travel? Looks like just what I need as far as the elements go and the quick install and taking it off when not needed. Thanks for any more info.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:07 PM   #23
katoom400 is on a distinguished road
katoom400's Tacoma Gallery
thought I would chime in on this thread. I just bought a softopper used for my tundra and love this thing! although I have a few bugs to work out. mine leaked quite a bit the first rain. My buddy also has a brand new softopper on his 08 f250 and his also leaked from the get go.

since mine was used I had some leaking coming from under the side rail, but most likely this was due to the already used (compressed to the shape of the previous truck) weather striping. So I will replace the weather stripiing and see how it seals. the clamps work good but the ends of the track tend to pull up a little. bolting would cure that but I don't like the thought of drilling my brand new bed rails.....

both of us used the provided seam sealer and still had leaks at the seams on the very first rain. I can't speak for his, but mine where leaking at the front and rear where it wraps around the bar and snaps. I will have to try and seal these seams a little better and see how it goes.

I got mine used for $400 (including shipping) so I can't complain at all about doing a little work to get her right.

for me the softopper was the only option since bestop does not make a top for a longbed tundra and hard shells where out of the question since I could not remove them by myself and would need a place to store it as well.

I'm using mine for sleeping in at dirt bike races. when I get there I can take the bike out and have my tent up in 2 minutes!

Attached Thumbnails
Soft Topper-softopper_right1.jpg   Soft Topper-softopper_left.jpg   Soft Topper-softopper_right.jpg  
Old 06-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #24
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdtemple's Tacoma Gallery
Great info on this thread. Are the current users still happy with this product?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #25
drive.n.surf is on a distinguished road

drive.n.surf's Tacoma Gallery
Still enjoying my Softopper !

I've had my Softopper for 8 months now. I live in Washington state and it rains pretty often. I find that after driving I do find some water has been "sucked" in through the small gaps at the corners. This water gets "sucked" in with the air passing through the gaps, so the faster I drive the more water I find although it's not too much. However when the truck is not moving, no water gets in, ABSOLUTELY none ! I use the Softopper to sleep in since it's much easier than setting up a tent in the rain.

Because I sleep in mine, I prefer the canvas sides of the Softopper instead of the side windows of the Bestop. If you're using it to camp in I also recommend getting the screen rear window to keep moisture from developing inside. The Softopper takes only minutes to set up and take down. It's one of my favorite upgrades to my truck !

Old 06-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #26
Seener84 has a spectacular aura aboutSeener84 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Sean
Seener84's Tacoma Gallery
SO the verdict is soft topper and bestop are both great products and everyone is satisfied overall? Drive.n.surf- Is that the Toyota rack on the top of your truck?
Old 09-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #27
Tonymorr is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
Tonymorr's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Tonymorr
Does the Soft Topper have to be removed completely or does it fold like the Supertop?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #29
roughnready62 is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police Platoon leader, Arctic MP
roughnready62's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned my soft topper for over two years now, it has made a 4,000 mile cross country trip, survive two winters in Alaska, and has been taken down, and put up countless times and still functions flawlessly.

The only thing I can say is when you clean the plastic windows, make sure you hose off all the dirt first, and very gently wipe off any remaining dirt before using windex or whatever you want to use. That will keep the plastic from scratching and keep it nice and clear
Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #30
GeatWhiteNorth is on a distinguished road

Name: Morgen
GeatWhiteNorth's Tacoma Gallery
so im looking at getting either the soft topper or the bestop right now im leaning towards the soft topper cause it dosnt have the side windows which seem to get in the way when you fold it down also the reviews just seem better for the soft topper. But i was wondering how easly the soft topper comes off the truck, since i would only have it on when i go surfing and camping?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #31
I can take my Soft topper off in less than ten minutes. The video on the website show's the guy doing it in around 2. I think that it is incredibly easy to take off, and to put back on. There are two pins that the collapsible frame fits into, and once each side is in, the top unfolds like an accordion.

I've had my Topper now for almost two years. I am extremely happy with it. It is much easier to handle than a traditional truck cap (lighter, much more compact to store). Some have made mention about having issues with waterproofness, but I've not had any issues (except when I powerwash my truck).

hope this helps
Old 12-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #32
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my softopper for a year now its been great and liked that it came in tan.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #33
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is OK, but not what I was expecting. It's up for sale, if you're local.

I'm still mixed - I like the versatility and ease of use, don't like the flapping on the highway and lack of security. If it's not sold, I'll probably upgrade the weatherstripping and figure a way to keep the front anchored better.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #34
DisasterReliefTac is on a distinguished road
DisasterReliefTac's Tacoma Gallery
Is the softopper pictured here the gray or black model?

(I can't tell if it's light black or dark gray, but want the same color for my same-color Taco.)
Old 06-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #35
(To clarify, I mean Roughnready's truck.)
Old 06-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #36
My Soft topper is black.

And it still works just as awesome as it did the first day I got it!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #37
Thanks Roughnready!

Anyone have any experience putting a exo-type roof rack around their softopper or bestop, and if so, pictures?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #38
TheGreekIndian is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
TheGreekIndian's Tacoma Gallery
does this flap in the wind really bad?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #39
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive.n.surf View Post
I use the Softopper to sleep in since it's much easier than setting up a tent in the rain.

How you sleeping in your bed? just scruntching up and dealing with it?
Old 06-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #40
drive.n.surf is on a distinguished road

drive.n.surf's Tacoma Gallery
I am 5ft 6in tall, and I can lie diagonally in the short bed of a double cab. I am able to completely stretch out this way so there isn't any discomfort for me. I can see how this might be a problem for taller folks. I figure 5ft 9in or taller might have problems doing this.

Also because of the uneven shape of the bed floor I recommend getting a REALLY good sleeping pad!