Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Soft Topper

Old 06-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #41
Professional Goofball
zul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to behold
zul's Tacoma Gallery
I'd love the option to sleep in a truck bed - unfortunately at 6' 2" That is not a comfortable option

Just to chime in - I love the look of these soft tops. And I generally dont like bed tops at all. However being from rainy Oregon I doubt I'll bother with one when I get my truck.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #42
drive.n.surf is on a distinguished road

drive.n.surf's Tacoma Gallery
If you use the Soft Topper to sleep in like a tent, I would recommend getting the optional screen window. The ventilation inside the Soft Topper is not like a tent and eventually moisture will develop if you use the standard vinyl windows. The screen window is great and no moisture develops when I use it. However when it is raining I had problems with water entering from outside. I made an awning out of nylon tarp and PVC pipe and problem solved.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:56 AM   #43
spranger85 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Chris
spranger85's Tacoma Gallery
No one has answered if you can open the "front" window on the topper for access to the cab.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #44
Piratefish is on a distinguished road

Piratefish's Tacoma Gallery
NO it doesn't open. Its kind of a bummer but I really like my softopper.

Note mine does leak ever so slightly even after sealing the seams.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #45
spranger85 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Chris
spranger85's Tacoma Gallery
That sux, I need something that opens for dog in the summe. Thanks
Old 07-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #46

You can however remove the entire front panel. I have never done this though. I think it might balloon up with air when driving.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #47
DisasterReliefTac is on a distinguished road
DisasterReliefTac's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered my Softopper today with a "doggy door" in the front panel, for only $10 more. I also ordered it in black, but with a gray roof panel. If you call the manufacturer, they can sometimes do some minor changes like that for you.

My truck is dark red and the interior is gray. I did a rough Photoshop mockup, and am still not too sure what it will look like in person, but I wanted to try something different. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #48
jrb737 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
jrb737's Tacoma Gallery
Hello all, new to the forum and wanted to say I have had my Softopper for several months now. I am very happy w/ it even though it leaked at the seams when I first got it. The company sent me 2 tubes of "Seam Grip" (not the "Seam Sealer" they initially give you) and I put this stuff on every seam and it has not leaked since! http://www.mcnett.com/Seam-Grip-Seam...pair-P133.aspx

The topper is great. I can fold it forward and get my atv in the bed, take it off and load firewood in the bed, or leave it up and camp in it. It also keeps all of the dust off of your things in the bed when going camping.

I have no problem with the topper flapping while driving 80mph down the highway. It is a very snug fit.

I've attached a few pics.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Soft Topper-p1010088.jpg   Soft Topper-p1010089.jpg   Soft Topper-p1010045.jpg   Soft Topper-p1010203.jpg   Soft Topper-p1010175.jpg  

Old 07-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #49
blatant is on a distinguished road
blatant's Tacoma Gallery
3yr report. I have the 6ft bed. Two long mile trips, 70-80mps, no problems at all.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #50
Installed mine the other day. Wanted a 2-tone just for something different. The black looks nice on the sides, but the white will keep the contents cooler in the South. Softopper did this for no additional cost.

Am satisfied by the quality for the most part, though some of the hardware is way too flimsy for a product designed to go on the back of an otherwise very "abusable" truck.

Will go to the metal shop on Monday to have some of the plastic hardware replaced by metal parts instead. Even some of the metal parts need an upgrade.

This is not a waterproof design. Sure, it will keep the rain off, but unless you elevate your cargo off the bed floor, it will probably not stay dry.

Also, get those convex side-view mirrors to help with the lack of visibility. (I used these anyway to get rid of blind spots. Having driven a moving truck for years, this is no issue for me.)

All that said, I am happy I went with Softopper over Bestop, for the reasons mentioned by previous posters. The lines of this top look really good in person, and it will take very little work to upgrade the weaker components to expedition quality. The versatility Softopper provides over a hard top, a naked bed, a tonneau cover, or even Bestop (which no longer offers mesh windows), is well worth it.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #51
blatant's Tacoma Gallery
great stuff
Old 08-07-2011, 06:13 AM   #52
donanoyus is on a distinguished road
Army: Tank Commander Army Reserves
Name: Scott
donanoyus's Tacoma Gallery
This is a great thread.. I looked at the softtopper awhile back and didn't get one because I couldn't tell if you have to take the whole contraption off the truck when you collapse it.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #53
blatant's Tacoma Gallery
you don't need to take it off when collapsed. You can leave it at the back of the cab folded down. They even provided a bag to slip around it if so desired. Or you can remove the whole thing by removing two cotter pins.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #54
Smile

Hi blatant, I will let "isn't working right" and "shitty" remain your words. I didn't use them.

I did, however, use the word "abusable": a virtue I want universally applicable to every part of my truck. The plastic retainers that secure the bar at the bottom of the rear flap could easily be broken with heavy use and abuse, or loading/unloading heavy equipment from the bed or the contractor's rack soon to be installed over this topper.

I am also going to replace the metal clips that fasten into those retainers with beefier ones from the hardware store, because I can't tell you how many of those I have overloaded and bent or broken on luggage.

As I said, I am satisfied with my purchase of the Softopper. I think it's a great product. I wholly recommend a Softopper to anyone who needs versatility, and I would buy one again. But I RARELY leave anything unmodified, and the Softopper is not an exception. My truck is being purpose-built for disaster relief, and I don't want anything breaking and slowing me down in the middle of a disaster zone.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #55
blatant's Tacoma Gallery
post up pics of your adjustments/mod's when you're done. If it betters the product i would certainly add it to mine as well! Good luck!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #56
bboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to all

bboynowee's Tacoma Gallery
Me likey!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #58
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, glad I found this thread. I've been wanting to get a Bestop, but it's looking like the Softoppers could be better suited to my needs. One question: The company website says that you can drive with the side/rear panels rolled up. Anyone have any experience with this? I assume it would be fine for city speeds, but how about highway speeds?

EDIT: Another question. According the the product video, the sides snap onto the rail. How does the back flap attach the top of the tail gate?
Old 09-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #59

^ They supply you with Velcro. I didnt use it and was considering sewing magnets into the back flap...but never did. It dosent flat or anything like that but it may leave wear marks on the paint if you leave it on for a long time. I love mine.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #60
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratefish View Post
^ They supply you with Velcro. I didnt use it and was considering sewing magnets into the back flap...but never did. It dosent flat or anything like that but it may leave wear marks on the paint if you leave it on for a long time. I love mine.

Good to know! Thanks.