Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Soft Topper

Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #161
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellG View Post
You sir have a beautiful truck.
So do you! I want to build a truck similar to yours for my son when he starts getting a little bit older.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #162
RussellG is on a distinguished road

Name: Russell
RussellG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
So do you! I want to build a truck similar to yours for my son when he starts getting a little bit older.
Thanks, he would be a lucky boy! I almost didn't build my truck. I almost wound up with an 08 white taco. Xtra cab manual, charged with the locker a d sport hood. I backed out last minute and sunk the money (and then some) in my 87.

Still would like one for a daily
Old 11-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #163
BenBuser is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
BenBuser's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, so i just read through 9 pages of nothing but good words about the soft topper.

I'm looking to get one for my 2010 Access cab but the only question to you owners is this....

The only thing i am worried about is waking up one morning in Tahoe and seeing 3 feet of Sierra cement (Heavy tahoe snow) crushing the frame like a soda can.

Does anyone have any experience with just how much these things can hold?
I know ideally i would put the top down if i knew it was going to dump a few feet of snow but like we all know sometimes things dont go as planned.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #164
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
I can say that the structure is strong, but "strong enough" is harder to define. I think you'll need to determine the average weight of a cubic foot of "heavy Tahoe snow", and find out what the good folks at Softopper say is the maximum weight the top can support. They recommend that you "clean it off before there is too much accumulation."

If you're really concerned about having three feet of wet snow on it, this may not be the topper for you.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #165
RussellG is on a distinguished road

Name: Russell
RussellG's Tacoma Gallery
They are strong but I'd say 3 feet of snow may be too much. I know they have kits to mount racks on top so you may look in to that. I have had a foot maybe two on my old soft topper with no issues but it wasn't super damp snow. My truck rarely sits out but a few times I had it at work and forgot a scraper so had to drive home with it on top.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #166
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have a solution for the small gaps at the front corners of the bed? Does everyone have these? Or do I need to stretch it forward more?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #168
Grundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Grundletaint's Tacoma Gallery
I sold my truck and have a gray long bed topper available. PM me if you're interested.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #169
RDtres is on a distinguished road
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa1066 View Post
Anyone have a solution for the small gaps at the front corners of the bed? Does everyone have these? Or do I need to stretch it forward more?
There is a small gap at each corner, I just live with it and have yet to get any water inside the bed while camping. IMO this is the ONLY area where a hard topper outperforms in that it is sealed.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #170
mike2100 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mike2100's Tacoma Gallery
This seems to be the best thread for the soft topper so I'll ask my question here.

How much of the sliding bed rail system functionality is reduced with this thing installed?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #171
Damaged Goods
ag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ag4892's Tacoma Gallery
The middle of the side rail is blocked by the softopper frame. There is a flap of fabric that covers the rail behind the cab, but I unsnap the flap if I need to attach something, there is velcro that holds it to the top rail.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #172
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2100 View Post
This seems to be the best thread for the soft topper so I'll ask my question here.

How much of the sliding bed rail system functionality is reduced with this thing installed?

Thanks
Like Andy said. Some, but the rail system is still useable.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:19 AM   #173
mike2100 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mike2100's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sold. That's not bad at all. Still plenty of places to tie down cargo.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #174

Add some D-rings to the forward bed bolts and you'll have plenty of options.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #175
cjcold is on a distinguished road
cjcold's Tacoma Gallery
Wore a Softopper on my 99 taco for over 5 years with no problems. Lots of camping in it in all weather conditions and nary a leak or problem with big snow. In hot weather the sides roll up for ventilation. The only thing it couldn't stand up to was that 2 ton delivery truck that destroyed my truck. One of the first additions to my new 2013 taco was another Softopper. Extremely versatile and tough. I love em.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #176
cjcold is on a distinguished road
cjcold's Tacoma Gallery
I actually found that it reduced drag a bit on my 99 and I gained a bit of MPG. Since the new one on my new 2013 sits "in" from the cab a bit I expect the same. Kind of like a boat-tail bullet effect.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #177
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Mine works well
Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #178
blatant is on a distinguished road
blatant's Tacoma Gallery
hey everyone.

For a quick refresh and touch up, wash the topper thoroughly, let it dry completely.

Head to walmart, in the camping section they sell a heavy duty water proof spray, has an orange cap and is usually next to the 3m scotch guard.

Spray it really good, it'll "rewaterproof" it (not like it's needed but can't hurt) but it will really bring back the color and newness look. Great move for under 5.00.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #179
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcold View Post
I actually found that it reduced drag a bit on my 99 and I gained a bit of MPG. Since the new one on my new 2013 sits "in" from the cab a bit I expect the same. Kind of like a boat-tail bullet effect.
Reduces drag? On my '99 and my '05 I saw/see a significant reduction in MPG.

On another topic: Who has filled the gap between the cab and front of the top? What did you use? I'm sick of digging the snow out of the gap and listening to the ice rattle against the window.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosiveTendency View Post
Reduces drag? On my '99 and my '05 I saw/see a significant reduction in MPG.

On another topic: Who has filled the gap between the cab and front of the top? What did you use? I'm sick of digging the snow out of the gap and listening to the ice rattle against the window.
A wide enough piece of backer rod would work, or maybe a pool "noodle".