Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Soft Topper

Old 02-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
roughnready62 is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police Platoon leader, Arctic MP
roughnready62's Tacoma Gallery
Soft Topper

I recently purchased and installed a soft topper cap on my Taco. It was surprisingly easy to assemble and install, the frame was color coded, and the frame rails were clearly marked. The directions were pretty good, but could have used several more pictures detailing the orientation of the frame.

contents

attaching soft top to frame

Just a few side notes:

-the PVC material needs to be warm in order to snap it over the frame.
-do not tighten the soft topper frame to the bed until you've got everything setup, in case you need to shim the top, or move it (hand tighten it first).
-all I used was a drill (1/8" bit), socket wrench, and a screw driver

I'm very happy with the way it turned out, it's a very light, easy to setup and take down, and is quality construction!

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Andrew/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Andrew/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-24-2009, 05:40 AM   #3
there we go, just took me a few minutes to figure out how to do it
Old 04-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
TacoTacoMan is on a distinguished road
TacoTacoMan's Tacoma Gallery
Which company you buy from? How quick to set up and take down? Mind me asking how much you got it for? Looking into getting something similar
Old 04-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
I bought from Softopper, IMO they have a better designed product than besttop. It took me under an hour to install, and the directions were easy to follow, and the frame was color coded. I believe it cost me just over 600 including shipping (also bought the protective storage bag). I love it and concerning weatherproofing, I drove it cross continent and never had an issue, as well as having taken it through the car wash several times, with good results.

-it only takes about 2 minutes to erect it, and then another 2 mins or so to break it down

AJ
Old 04-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
TacoTacoMan is on a distinguished road
TacoTacoMan's Tacoma Gallery
Cool. I was thinking soft topper was just the type of top haha. Thanks for the info
Old 05-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man. What did you have to use the drill for?

I'm probably going to be buying a soft top soon, and right now the bestop is infront of the soft topper, because bestop has a $100 rebate, plus other etailers have coupons, so I can get the bestop for around $420, whereas the soft topper would be around $600. I do love the fact that the soft topper has an optional screen rear window though, as I plan on using my bed as a tent if necessary.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
hmm, did a little more research and found out bestop makes a mesh window kit for their supertops.

I can get the bestop supertop + mesh window kit (for all 3 windows) for around $575. OR I can get the soft topper + mesh window kit (for 1 window) for around $650...
Old 08-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
tiger955 will become famous soon enough
tiger955's Tacoma Gallery
So now that you have had it a while, how is it holding up? I have been thinking of getting one as my fiberglass top is so freakin heavy to put on and off myself. I am concerned how it will hold up to the brutal desert sun here though.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
Well, I bought it back in March and since then, it has traveled 4,500 miles through blizzard conditions, and temps going as low as -30. I have had it up in alaska now for about 6 months, and I have put it up, and taken it down many times, with no issues. In fact, everytime I had it up as a cap, I would find myself talking to someone almost everytime I stopped at a parking lot, because they wanted to know where to get one. I absolutely love it!

The only disclaimer is that due to the topper being made of fabric, it is not wise to take it up, and put it down when it is very very cold, as the clear plastic windows will be much more prone to crack (however I did just to see if I could, and I had no issues).

Hope that helps!
Old 09-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #11
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
I really like the look and how light they are but the winters are very harsh where I live and was wondering how they hold up in the cold, or if it gets a good dump of snow?? thanx
Old 09-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #12
Well I drove up to Alaska during the winter, and had that softopper on. I had no problems with it. I did not try to take it down, and put it up though, once it was on, I left it on. When it gets real cold (-10 and below) the fabric gets stiff. I opened and closed the rear window many times, and the zippers worked fine (even with snow and Ice building up) you just want to exercise a little caution so as not to crack the clear plastic window. I had lots of snow build up on the top of it with no issues. They say that the frame can support like 50 lbs, but I would say that I had more weight than that on it.

I live in Alaska now, where the winters get to -50 for weeks on end, and it stills works just fine for me.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughnready62 View Post
Well I drove up to Alaska during the winter, and had that softopper on. I had no problems with it. I did not try to take it down, and put it up though, once it was on, I left it on. When it gets real cold (-10 and below) the fabric gets stiff. I opened and closed the rear window many times, and the zippers worked fine (even with snow and Ice building up) you just want to exercise a little caution so as not to crack the clear plastic window. I had lots of snow build up on the top of it with no issues. They say that the frame can support like 50 lbs, but I would say that I had more weight than that on it.

I live in Alaska now, where the winters get to -50 for weeks on end, and it stills works just fine for me.
thanks for the cold weather info thats exactly what I needed to know if this thing can suvive Alaska it worth the money IMO. thanks
Old 09-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #14

Last thing how are they at sealing out the elements water being #1. thanks
Old 09-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
Rain, wind, sleet and snow....this thing can take it. The manufacturer gives you a bottle of sealant for the seams (I didn't use it). The only time water got in the bed of the truck was when I was power washing it at the car wash. Even then, it wasn't a big deal.

So unless you plan on driving through gale-force winds while it's raining sideways, this thing can handle anything you've got.

Sidenote: Softtopper also offers replacement parts for the topper, whereas Besttop only sells complete kits.

It's lighter, cheaper, faster setup/takedown, and more unique than ARE or LEER.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #16
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I really like it. I am thinking this is something I might have to get in the future. Nice!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #17
It really is so nice when compared with a traditional truck cap. I remember how much of a pain in the ass it was when I used to help my dad put his truck cap on, and once he put it on, it stayed on for at least 4 months because he didn't want to do all the work to take it off. With the softtopper, it takes about a minute to setup, and maybe two minutes to takedown. LOVE IT
Old 09-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #18

i got my best top today and will probably put it on tomorrow !!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #19
Glad to hear it! Let me know what you think of it. Did you get the clear window side panels, or the fabric ones?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #20

thanks. it has the clear windows on the side the look kinda tinted in the box hard to tell.