1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tepui Roof Top Tent; Kukenam

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by ian408, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Jun 6, 2013 at 6:06 PM
    ian408

ian408 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I've been tossing around the whole RTT thing for a while now. Carefully considering the pros and cons of carrying weight up high. My goal is to get a trailer but I'm not sure when I'll get that-so for now, it's on the roof and up high.

The next choice was size. I wanted something that was at least 2 person.

I watched a bunch of videos on installing/using and I came to the realization RTTs are effectively all the same. That's not entirely true but the ones I was considering differ in price only.

I looked at costs of both the tent and of shipping before deciding on Tepui. I could avoid shipping ($75 for "local", $150 for everyone else). I also emailed some questions and asked if I could come by and look at the tents. I was really surprised to get a reply a few hours after I sent my message as it was Sunday but I did and the short answer is I was able to call and make an appointment to come see the tent I was interested in on Tuesday. When I arrived, I looked at the tent and was impressed by the quality and ease with which it could be installed. I also liked the attitudes of those in the shop, Bernard & Ricardo. Evan and Bernard are the two principals behind Tepui. Anyway, I decided that was the tent and chose the Siberian Camo (I'll include some better pictures next time I go camping.). Here's what I got as it was installed at the Tepui shop:

[​IMG]
    (just a note that the fly and windows aren't deployed)

I had expected to come back to install it but Bernard, Ricardo and I installed it in about 20 minutes or so. The hard part is getting the thing on the roof-you need help for sure.

I am very happy with the service I received from Tepui.

I've attached a little spreadsheet of the tents I considered. No shipping cause it'll be different for everyone. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

2. Jun 6, 2013 at 11:02 PM
    Muddog006

Muddog006 Member

Member:
    Looks good! Any worries about weight limits with it being on the camper shell? One heck of a nice rig! Why aren't there more green tacos floating around!?

3. Jun 7, 2013 at 6:49 AM
    ian408

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I'm not too worried about the weight though I wonder if it would be good to have some kind of support when the tent is in use. I also plan to keep an eye on the shell for any sign of problems.

4. Jun 7, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    Looks really nice!! Keep us updated with signs of wear on tent and the added weight on your shell. This is on my list but a little ways down the road.

5. Jun 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    Muddog006

Muddog006 Member

Member:
    Well I'll be thinking about installing one, seems like it would be better then sleeping in the shell on hot nights! And this means I get to use the shell for stuff again!

6. Jun 10, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    ian408

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    One thing that bugs the shit out of me is the dog. He's like a nervous nelly when we go camping. He sleeps in the cab and when he moves...I move :D

I discovered a problem with the new ladder design. I need to rig some kind of sacrificial material along the length of the legs as they're digging into the tent floor. Otherwise, it's pretty damn comfy! Didn't have any trouble deploying it or packing it back up to come home.

Overnighter.

7. Jul 31, 2013 at 11:06 PM
    Jk15

Jk15 Member

Member:
    looks good what kind of camper shell is that??

8. Jul 31, 2013 at 11:15 PM
    kahului96732

kahului96732 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    MAUI
    Vehicle:
    2012 TOYOTA TACOMA TRD SPORT 4X4
    nice,how much do they cost?

9. Jul 31, 2013 at 11:23 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    They start around 800 bucks.

10. Jul 31, 2013 at 11:27 PM
    ian408

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    SnugTop.

11. Aug 1, 2013 at 12:34 AM
    ian408

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    The model I have was a little over a grand out the door. Of course, I was able to pick it up and my purchase was made before the recent price increase.

12. Aug 1, 2013 at 12:45 AM
    magnetic11

magnetic11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    "some nuke plant"
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport
    Fab fours front and rear bumpers, B.A.M.F. weld on rock sliders, softopper, removed mud flaps and D-Badged everything. Icon 2.5 Extended Travel coil-overs, Total Chaos upppers, 2.0 Icon extended travel shocks with the resi's and Dekar Leaf packs.
    I know I'll get one sooner or later and I'll be able to use it with my truck or my girlfriends fj. I just don't know what brand or how I want to mount it on my truck. I would love a soft cover and a rack that would mount like an exo cage on the outside of the soft topper. And that way I could have stuff in the bed covered or even let the dog sleep in there. But I also like the idea of a shorter rack that would level the tent with the roof, so it wouldn't be so hi while traveling.

13. Aug 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    bkrdave36

bkrdave36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Double Cab Black
    Daystar 3 inch lift, Icon Stage 3 Rear Leaf Springs, Durobump bump stops,Bilstein 5125 shocks, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, Victory 4x4 bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod, Chinese Knockoff LED lights, Body Armor 4x4 Offroad Swingout rear tire carrier and bumper, Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners, Rattle can Custom Camo paint stripe, Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover, various Blue Ridge Overland Gear storage solutions in cab, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    I got the Ayers tent and love it! Although it says its a two man tent, I think its barely big enough for me and my wife (we dont mind close quarters), but two "men"... I dont think so!

[​IMG]

14. Aug 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM
    ian408

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    They are on the small size for sure. Not much different than any other tent tho.

15. Aug 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    bkrdave36

bkrdave36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Double Cab Black
    Daystar 3 inch lift, Icon Stage 3 Rear Leaf Springs, Durobump bump stops,Bilstein 5125 shocks, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, Victory 4x4 bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod, Chinese Knockoff LED lights, Body Armor 4x4 Offroad Swingout rear tire carrier and bumper, Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners, Rattle can Custom Camo paint stripe, Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover, various Blue Ridge Overland Gear storage solutions in cab, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    I do have to state that being 6 ft tall I have plenty of room to stretch without touching the tent walls!!

16. Jun 8, 2014 at 3:30 PM
    WuTaco

WuTaco Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    12 pyrite TRD off road
    Is your snugtop reinforced? I have the Snugtop Super Sport and would like to add a RTT, but im concerned about the weight.

Products Discussed in

To Top