Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Tacoma Ladder Racks, I Need One !

Old 06-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #41
Fish On !!!
SH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Like this

or this

Yes I am looking for something like this. I like to keep it simple and sturdy. No moving parts. These are racks I will use 6 to 10 times per year. Accommodate 16' lumber with no problem.

P.S. Oz-t,
Leave the word 'evolve' for the other thread.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #42
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
6-10 times a year? I wouldnt spend 1-2 grand on a custom built rack unless i was using it alot more than that. I haul 16 footers all the time with my basic thule racks, they were aroud $600. If there is a big framing order then i just have the lumber yard drop it off. On friday i had a 24' aluminum plank on my racks. No problem to haul at all. I have easilly had 500 lbs on those racks also. You said no moving parts, keep in mind that most contractor racks have a swinging rear cross beam, which allows you to get big things in and out of the bed easier. Unless you have a bed cap, then its not necessary.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #43
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH7mi View Post
Yes I am looking for something like this. I like to keep it simple and sturdy. No moving parts. These are racks I will use 6 to 10 times per year. Accommodate 16' lumber with no problem.

P.S. Oz-t,
Leave the word 'evolve' for the other thread.
Evolve
Old 06-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #44
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
6-10 times a year? I wouldnt spend 1-2 grand on a custom built rack unless i was using it alot more than that. I haul 16 footers all the time with my basic thule racks, they were aroud $600. If there is a big framing order then i just have the lumber yard drop it off. On friday i had a 24' aluminum plank on my racks. No problem to haul at all. I have easilly had 500 lbs on those racks also. You said no moving parts, keep in mind that most contractor racks have a swinging rear cross beam, which allows you to get big things in and out of the bed easier. Unless you have a bed cap, then its not necessary.
You can just get a $400 headache rack and haul 20's up over the cab like my old headache rack
Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #45
Fish On !!!
SH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to behold
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
I saw those Thule racks, I can guarantee I would break them and damage my truck. There is nothing to the Thule rack and to buy the cantilever with it the cost is 1000 bucks.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #46

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I saw those Thule racks, I can guarantee I would break them and damage my truck. There is nothing to the Thule rack and to buy the cantilever with it the cost is 1000 bucks.
You can haul 20's and serious weight with just a headache rack and you negate the risk of the load coming down on the roof

Load it like this

With this

Old 06-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #47
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Saw it mentioned earlier, mine is a Rack It rack, sucker weighs about 200-250lbs, not light but very strong, I have had 20 footers up there, I have had 900lbs of lumber on there, serious rack for the contractors, it actually does not mount to the bed, it has posts in the front that come inboard and mount to the Torx frame rail bolts, in the rear it's mounted to the steel pillars at the corners of the bed on the inside. Surprisingly stiff and strong.

Roof of a shed I hauled, probably 500 pounds

Old 06-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #48
Fish On !!!
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You can haul 20's and serious weight with just a headache rack and you negate the risk of the load coming down on the roof

Load it like this

With this

What about deflection with the overhang of the material, in Pa we can't have more than three feet hanging past the back of vehicle?
Old 06-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #49

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What about deflection with the overhang of the material, in Pa we can't have more than three feet hanging past the back of vehicle?
No problem unless you are carrying something whippy like small diameter 20' pipe or rebar ( 20' )
Old 07-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #50
Sledhauler will become famous soon enoughSledhauler will become famous soon enough

Name: Derek
Sledhauler's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the tracrac g2, had the t-rac before that was on 4 vehicles I believe and sold it to a friend with a ranger when I bought the g2 for my 09, now its on the 13. Only issue is the the long ass bolts make it hard to take on/off but I changed them to shorter ones when I installed on the 13 although I probably will never take it off. Can't remember what it was rated at but I haul a 28' ladder on mine. Purchased both from industrialproducts, best price I could find at the time several years ago, they sell the generic trac at home depot these days but you would probably have to order tacoma kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Tacoma Ladder Racks, I Need One !-dsc08069chop.jpg  
Old 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #51
Fish On !!!
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhauler View Post
I went with the tracrac g2, had the t-rac before that was on 4 vehicles I believe and sold it to a friend with a ranger when I bought the g2 for my 09, now its on the 13. Only issue is the the long ass bolts make it hard to take on/off but I changed them to shorter ones when I installed on the 13 although I probably will never take it off. Can't remember what it was rated at but I haul a 28' ladder on mine. Purchased both from industrialproducts, best price I could find at the time several years ago, they sell the generic trac at home depot these days but you would probably have to order tacoma kit.
I looked into the Tracrack and I would need to buy the cantilever with it, 1000 bucks is not worth it plus I will be loading close to 800 lbs on them, I would break them for sure !
Old 09-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #52
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I looked into the Tracrack and I would need to buy the cantilever with it, 1000 bucks is not worth it plus I will be loading close to 800 lbs on them, I would break them for sure !
I paid $299 for my universal Tracrack at Lowes and another $79 for the Tacoma clamps. Then I just cut it down to fit my truck. Had to spend $3.99 on a 3/8" tap to re-thread the holes once I cut it down.

Ive hauled 20' lengths of 4" x 6" aluminum no problem and 16' lumber plenty of times. For $379 you can't beat a 800# load rated Tracrack IMO.

Just modded mine some more today to fit my needs.

"L" track hooks in the bottom corners

and some "L" track on the sides

old pic hauling 13' yaks like a boss
Old 09-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #53
unstoppable is on a distinguished road
Name: Ian
unstoppable's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have experience with the Thule Xsporter on a newer Tacoma (2013)? Only hauling boats on the weekends so want a rack that will have a lower profile when not in use, but the bed-liner/wheel wells are pretty intrusive. Thinking of cutting holes allowing the uprights to sleeve all the way down (pending it doesn't hit the tire), but cutting into anything on her makes me nauseous.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #54
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstoppable View Post
Anyone have experience with the Thule Xsporter on a newer Tacoma (2013)? Only hauling boats on the weekends so want a rack that will have a lower profile when not in use, but the bed-liner/wheel wells are pretty intrusive. Thinking of cutting holes allowing the uprights to sleeve all the way down (pending it doesn't hit the tire), but cutting into anything on her makes me nauseous.
Cut the racks, not the bed. Thats what i did.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #55
wenkev has a spectacular aura aboutwenkev has a spectacular aura about
Army: C 2/505 82nd Airborne
wenkev's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of Thule Xsporter racks for sale.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...k-set-2-a.html
VERY STRONG!!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #56
wenkev has a spectacular aura aboutwenkev has a spectacular aura about
Army: C 2/505 82nd Airborne
wenkev's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Thule Xsporter for sale. $300
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...k-set-2-a.html