Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Tacoma Ladder Racks, I Need One !

Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
Fish On !!!
SH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Ladder Racks, I Need One !

I have not seen many Tacos with racks. I need a sturdy rack capable of holding some lumber, look good, and easily removed when not needed. Any suggestions ?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed. I'd like to know, too.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Fish On !!!
SH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to behold
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenwick1993 View Post
Subbed. I'd like to know, too.
Fenwick,
If you have the money check out BlueWaterwelding.com. They make custom racks for any truck from 1.5" tube aluminum and they look excellent as far as ladder/lumber racks are concerned. Cost is 2000 plus.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
There are a few guys here that are pretty good builders.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Fish On !!!
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btnewman View Post
There are a few guys here that are pretty good builders.
Show us some racks, talk is cheap.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here is one that I built, gimme a few minutes and I will dig up some of the othe builders work
Attached Thumbnails
Tacoma Ladder Racks, I Need One !-uploadfromtaptalk1370894548977.jpg  
Old 06-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Benjamin Newman

Tgere is a little more info on some here,

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=232654

And not to just sit here and blow my horn, but I enjoy custom work and can make a rack any way you want.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Benjamin Newman

I have seen a few people locally that have modded harbor freight racks to fit these trucks as well
Old 06-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH7mi View Post
I have not seen many Tacos with racks. I need a sturdy rack capable of holding some lumber, look good, and easily removed when not needed. Any suggestions ?
Sounds like thule x-sporter racks would be a good choice for you. I use mine for lumber all the time
Old 06-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
Fish On !!!
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
Btnewman,
I need the rack to extend above the height of the cab and cantilever over top of it, for loading 16' lumber.

Evanmb31,
I like the rigidity of the rack being one structure and also I need the cantilever for length. Does Thule have a rack such as this or just the two piece system, I did not see one on their site ?
Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Btnewman,
I need the rack to extend above the height of the cab and cantilever over top of it, for loading 16' lumber.

Evanmb31,
I like the rigidity of the rack being one structure and also I need the cantilever for length. Does Thule have a rack such as this or just the two piece system, I did not see one on their site ?
The thule xsporter doesn't have anything that cantilevers over the cab. Only holds like 450-500 lbs. i haul 16 footers all the time. I have even hauled 20 foot azek. Just need to use a 16' 2x10 or something underneath them. Its a little bit of a pain loading bigger stuff. But on the other hand they are very convenient and not as much of an eyesore as bigger racks. They are height adjustable, and slide right out of their "boots" i take them out to go trough car washes. Literally takes less than a minute to pull them off of the truck. The tracrack was mentioned above. Thats another option i looked into. They have a setup that cantilevers over the cab, they hold a lot more weight, they also slide forward and back and i think are very easy to remove. The reason i didn't go with those is they are so high, the tracks are sitting on the bedside, don't really like they look off that, and they are more expensive.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
Fish On !!!
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrite Mica View Post
http://www.tracrac.com/

Thule commercial line if I am not mistaken.
I found a Thule with a cantilever but does not look sturdy to me and it was still a two piece system. Let me know if you have seen a one piece Thule.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #14

Heres the tracrac with the cantilever, this isnt the one that slides
Tacoma Ladder Racks, I Need One !-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370897682.345936.jpg
Heres my racks
Tacoma Ladder Racks, I Need One !-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370897700.854239.jpg

So are you looking for something more heavy duty, like the steel ones. I usually call them contractor racks

Tacoma Ladder Racks, I Need One !-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370897944.710332.jpg
Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
Fish On !!!
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Attachment 217114
Heres my racks
Attachment 217115

So are you looking for something more heavy duty, like the steel ones. I usually call them contractor racks

Attachment 217117
What brand are the racks on the bottom Tacoma ?
Old 06-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #16

Quote:
What brand are the racks on the bottom Tacoma ?
http://www.truckrackdepot.com/Kargo-...ack_p_123.html
Old 06-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #17
merkman has a spectacular aura aboutmerkman has a spectacular aura about
merkman's Tacoma Gallery
I think the paddler rack with powder coated steel legs and aluminum bar. $399 USA racks
Old 06-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #18
N2DIVING is one of the sharper tools in the shedN2DIVING is one of the sharper tools in the shedN2DIVING is one of the sharper tools in the shedN2DIVING is one of the sharper tools in the shedN2DIVING is one of the sharper tools in the shedN2DIVING is one of the sharper tools in the shedN2DIVING is one of the sharper tools in the shedN2DIVING is one of the sharper tools in the shedN2DIVING is one of the sharper tools in the shedN2DIVING is one of the sharper tools in the shedN2DIVING is one of the sharper tools in the shed
N2DIVING's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Attachment 217114
Heres my racks
Attachment 217115

Attachment 217117
On the track rack is it top rail mounted so if one wants to put a retractable bed cover over they can ?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #19
Fish On !!!
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have contacted truck rack depot and have gotten no reply (business booming I guess) , I am still in need of a sturdy set of racks, why is this so difficult to find ?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #20

Quote:
I have contacted truck rack depot and have gotten no reply (business booming I guess) , I am still in need of a sturdy set of racks, why is this so difficult to find ?
Not sure. I know nothing about that company. I was just looking for a picture as a example and that was the website. Maybe try to find a local fabricator to build you a set, seems like a pretty basic build. Doesn't need to be a offroad fab guy or anyhing. Just need someone that can cut and weld some square stock or tubing. Maybe go to the local lumber yard and ask a contractor where he got his lol.