Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Bed covers for 2013 Tacoma, opinions/reviews

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
denmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the rough

Name: Dennis
denmen's Tacoma Gallery
Bed covers for 2013 Tacoma, opinions/reviews

second full day of driving around with my 2013 Tacoma Access Cab.
(and lovin' the livin' daylights out of the Tacoma!!!)

third day of finding Tacoma World, so still learning the ropes on how to search/navigate this site...

but, looking for some quick opinions on BED COVER styles...

livin' on a thin dime, so what's the overall feeling out there about rollup bed covers versus tri-fold style? what's better ratio of bang for the buck?

random browsing around the site has shown some really interesting reads of writes by a wide range of characters!!! quite the motley crew, for sure!!! love it!!!!!

THANKS!

looking forward to plenty of feedback to this (my first TW post)!!!!

Old 06-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Fellow Spruce Mica owner, welcome. Throw a stick into one this color and you instantly get into sub-zero percentile of seeing another like yours! Good choice.
I've got the Toyota accessory hard tri-fold on mine and love it. You can stand on it if you need to, but it's light enough to pull off by yourself. Soft ones don't really offer any security... a quick rip with a knife and they're in! Just my opinion...
Old 06-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
denmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the rough

denmen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHPLSH3 View Post
Fellow Spruce Mica owner, welcome. Throw a stick into one this color and you instantly get into sub-zero percentile of seeing another like yours! Good choice.
I've got the Toyota accessory hard tri-fold on mine and love it. You can stand on it if you need to, but it's light enough to pull off by yourself. Soft ones don't really offer any security... a quick rip with a knife and they're in! Just my opinion...
hehe, yes, indeed it took the dealer quite some time (by their standards) to locate this spruce mica with stick shift, you're spot on about that... thanks for your first-hand opinion on the hard cover trifold.... leaning towards that... thanks again!
Old 06-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmen View Post
hehe, yes, indeed it took the dealer quite some time (by their standards) to locate this spruce mica with stick shift, you're spot on about that... thanks for your first-hand opinion on the hard cover trifold.... leaning towards that... thanks again!
I special ordered mine. Longest wait ever! Then, about a week before it got there, the nightmares started:
What if it's the wrong color?
What if it's auto (gross!)?
What if it's smashed and delayed?
Then it gets there (wed) and the finance lady says "You want it Friday? I'm sorry. We're just too backed up." What?!!
Just then the service manager shows up. "You wanna roll it on Friday? We'll roll it on Friday. She's not the boss of me."
And I lived happily ever after!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
nova423 is on a distinguished road

nova423's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is a 2012, but I rock the Truxedo Truxport since about 2 days after I took her home from the dealership. No problems, I highly recommend if you want to save some bucks.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
I like the roll-up style tonneau covers because they can be rolled up completely to the window if you need full use of your bed. I've had the Truxedo Low Pro Qt for about a year now and I love it. Low profile (doesn't stick up much more than a half inch above the bedrails) and attractive. Can be used with a tailgate lock for complete bed protection and Truxedo customer service is outstanding - one piece arrived cracked, so I contacted the company directly and they immediately shipped me a new one without hassle and I had it in a matter of days. Incredibly easy to install --I just transferred it from my other Tacoma and reinstall took me all of 15 minutes. What sold me, though, was continued full use of the bed, which you don't get with many tri fold or solid piece bed covers.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Access Original Roll-Up Cover. I absolutely love it, especially in conjunction with my bed extender, which provides a nice little "compartment" at the back of my bed to put stuff in. Very easy to roll and un-roll, and I have the full bed to haul stuff if I need to. About 95% waterproof as well.

Matt
Old 06-18-2013, 03:57 AM   #8

denmen's Tacoma Gallery
yep, the rollup covers look very cool (when newly installed), and I prefer the soft look and rollup versatility. just curious as to the durability and lasting of that clean/crisp look. any "long term" owners of rollup covers have opinions on this (and even some pics maybe?)...

actually, just re-read other postings more closely, so far seem to have approx 1-year use with sustained positive feedback... how long do you all think is a good lifetime for a bed cover?

and, i like the bed extender add-on strategy for a "lazy man's extra compartment" !!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
I put a soft roll-up so I could use the full length of the bed. I have had mine for about a year and the dogs are always walking/riding on it; so far no holes, scratches, or tears.

It went on easy and can come off easy if I wanted to remove it.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Nola TSS has a spectacular aura aboutNola TSS has a spectacular aura about

Nola TSS's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my review of a tri-fold I put on my truck. It's been two months and so far, it's held up nicely. It was inexpensive vs some of the others. To be honest, several different tri folds on the market all look the same. I think the only difference may be the latches used to secure the tops.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...old-cover.html
Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If you live in New Hampshire....don't go with a rollup.

I had a rollup on my 96 tacoma for 5 years. My biggest complaint (and I'll never buy one again) is the fact that the cover shrinks in the cold weather and it IMPOSSIBLE to put back on in the cold weather.

I currently have an Advantage Torza Top Trip-fold and LOVE IT. You can fold it up for partial opening or take it off completely. I've had my tri-fold for 6 years now and its still looks good and is functioning great!
Towards the bottom ....
http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/thumbnai...lbum=16&page=1
2nd Row shows clamping system
http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/thumbnai...lbum=16&page=2
Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #12

denmen's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb going for tri-fold bed cover

great point janster. appreciate firsthand feedback on cold weather experiences. i took the dive for tornneau trifold, should arrive in a few days. should serve my needs nicely, and sounds convenient to take off when needed. also eyeing eventually employing the bed extender simulatenously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
If you live in New Hampshire....don't go with a rollup.

I had a rollup on my 96 tacoma for 5 years. My biggest complaint (and I'll never buy one again) is the fact that the cover shrinks in the cold weather and it IMPOSSIBLE to put back on in the cold weather.

I currently have an Advantage Torza Top Trip-fold and LOVE IT. You can fold it up for partial opening or take it off completely. I've had my tri-fold for 6 years now and its still looks good and is functioning great!
Towards the bottom ....
http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/thumbnai...lbum=16&page=1
2nd Row shows clamping system
http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/thumbnai...lbum=16&page=2
Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #13

denmen's Tacoma Gallery
also very much diggin' all those softtoppers... hopefully that will be in the cards a year or so down the road!!!!
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...oftoppers.html
Old 06-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
tattooedsnake has a spectacular aura abouttattooedsnake has a spectacular aura abouttattooedsnake has a spectacular aura about

Name: Erick
tattooedsnake's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got an Undercover Flex trifold for my 2010 Shortbed double cab and absolutely love it. I got it in December when I first got my truck and have enjoyed every day with it. With having the Tri fold design you can expose just enough space for what you are carrying without opening the whole bed up. If you do need to open the full length of bed the cover has support rods on either side so that you can set it up vertically without it laying against your rear window and possibly scratching it (i really like that the cover isnt taller than my cab when it is set up vertically). The cover is extremely strong without being to heavy, I can easily pull it off by myself and leave it behind or lay it down in the cab or bed if I need the extra space and is very easy to reinstall. The bed stays bone dry even in the heaviest rain,snow, or mud. If there is only one think that might be considered a negative about this cover is that you loose your factory sliding tie points to place the channel mounts in and seal up your bed.

http://www.amazon.com/UnderCover-FX4...ype=automotive
Old 09-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
RZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Chief - Retired
RZChief90's Tacoma Gallery
I'm also thinking about a roll up tonneau cover for my '13 Double Cab. My question is, are the existing bed rails still usable? I just purchased the Toyota bed mat and cargo divider so the cover needs to integrate with the cargo divider also. Anyone out there have any info? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #16

WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Any tonneau cover designed for a Tacoma is built to retain bed rail use
Old 09-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #17
Yoda fan
mgratton is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Mike
mgratton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHPLSH3 View Post
Any tonneau cover designed for a Tacoma is built to retain bed rail use
Actually, that's not true. For instance, the BAK Roll-X sold for the Tacoma renders the rails(tracks) unusable. In fact, that seems to be the case with all of the 'low profile' covers that I looked at. The covers that stick an inch or so above the sides of the bed do allow you to use the tracks. I did notice with the Truxedo Lo Pro, you couldn't remove the tie downs from the tracks once the rails for the tonneau cover were installed.

mikeg
Old 09-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #18

WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgratton View Post
Actually, that's not true. For instance, the BAK Roll-X sold for the Tacoma renders the rails(tracks) unusable. In fact, that seems to be the case with all of the 'low profile' covers that I looked at. The covers that stick an inch or so above the sides of the bed do allow you to use the tracks. I did notice with the Truxedo Lo Pro, you couldn't remove the tie downs from the tracks once the rails for the tonneau cover were installed.

mikeg
Well played!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
RZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZChief90 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Chief - Retired
RZChief90's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered the Advantage TorzaTop from TonneauCoverWorld. Based on comments on here and other online research, looks like the way to go. Thanks to Janster for the info and pics of hers. The rep I spoke to also highly recommended it. I'll let everyone know how it is when I get it installed.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #20
Tacoman2013 is on a distinguished road
Tacoman2013's Tacoma Gallery
Just purchased a Undercover Flex from Autoanything. Cant wait until it comes in. I hope it will do the trick. It looks like a nice cover. They were helpful and got it for a good price.

Products Discussed in this Thread