Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Bakflip G2 HD on 09 Tacoma Review

Old 02-27-2009, 02:40 AM   #1
Canadian member
tacomian devil is a jewel in the roughtacomian devil is a jewel in the roughtacomian devil is a jewel in the roughtacomian devil is a jewel in the rough

tacomian devil's Tacoma Gallery
Bakflip G2 HD TONNEAU Review on 09 DC

This is a review of the Bakflip G2 HD, installed on....

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?swf...20Installation

Q1. Why did I choose Bakflip G2 HD?

Because I believe it will meet my needs better than any other product on the market.
The "HD" for "Heavy Duty", means the panels are made of lightweight aluminum; capable of supporting 50% more weight than the G2 polymer.

http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/bakflip_hd

Security - This tonneau cover is a solid, foldable, lockable (with Dynolock electric lock, or Pop & Lock tailgate locks) tonneau that is more secure than any soft roll-up type.

I have a Dynolock electric tailgate lock on the way, which will allow me to lock the tailgate with my vehicle remote, securing the contents of the truck bed (When the tailgate is locked, the Bakflip top is secure. One must unlock and open the tailgate to open the Bakflip) I am not delusional to think the Bakflip is inpenetrable. If someone wants into the bed, they can get in just as easily as they can get into the cab...

Versatility - Fold up allows full bed access for unscheduled hauling. If you have a one-piece tonneau, you would have to go home and remove the cover and then return to pick up anything oversized you want to haul.

Delivery At the suggestion of TacomaWorld's Dark Knight, I ordered the piece from Ryan at Diversion Performance, in Leduc, Alberta, Canada, on Friday, received it Tuesday via DHL.

http://www.diversionperformance.ca/

Price? The best price I could find for the Bakflip G2 HD type was $949 USD (incl shipping within USA only)

It just worked out that Ryan's importer was able to arrange a special price of under $1000 delivered to my door CDN ($800 USD at today's exchange).

Installation The most difficult part for me was to remove the folded panels from the shipping box (while alone) without destroying the box.

The parts were delivered like this:

Once unpacked, first step is to prepare the Tacoma's factory rails for the Bakflip rails...

You don't have to be an engineer to figure out where the best place to put the bolts is... because Bak's engineers have already made this calculation. All you need to do is slide the bolts to line up with the slots on the Bakflip rails, then lower the Bakflip rail onto those bolts, and tighten...

These are the enclosed instructions which I never used whatsoever...

In order for the final piece to secure to my tailgate, it was necessary to adjust the width of the 'catches'. Without widening the latches, it was possible to wiggle open the cover while the tailgate was closed. Once the latches were widened, the cover closed securely.

I read a review on the Bakflip G2 where the author said he found some 'extra' self-tapping screws in the packing, but didn't know what they were for. I am convinced that the screws (which I did not receive) would be added to this final latch below, once the final position of these latches was determined for additional strength...

A potential security problem is the gap between the closed cover and the tailgate. When I Contacted Bak (Thanks for the tip, Scooter), they offered to send a couple pieces of (complimentary) weatherstipping to fill this gap, to reduce the ease of opening the cover with a coat hanger...

To save my two corner bed holes for additional "D-rings" I decided to re-route the drainage to the centre hole...

Close-up of the aquaduct exit... I couldn't find the single piece that tfrax found, so I had to build this apparatus...

The final product... before installation of Dynolock...

The back edges look somewhat unfinished...

Next step...

Dynolock electric tailgate lock for tailgates with camera...

http://www.dynolock.com/tota20upwita.html

then...

http://www.webastoshowroom.com/900info.html

Hope this helps some of you out there decide if this cover suits your needs or not.

Tacomian Devil

Old 02-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
good review. I give it 12 months before the rubber starts falling off...
Old 02-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
2009Taco is on a distinguished road
Navy: Information Systems Technician, Second Class
2009Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 2009Taco
I was all set to buy the regular BackFlip G2, then I read some of the posts on this forum (leaking, unfinished corners, rubber breaking down, not sealing properly or just falling off, and it caused me to go back to my search.

Please let me know how you like this, after you've had it on for a few days, or been through some rain or a carwash

As for me, it's looking like I will be going with the Extang Solid Fold.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
Canadian Member
Scooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write-up, Tacomian Devil!

I've had my G2 for 7 months now. It has gone through the deserts of Utah in 104 degree heat, -45 degree Canadian winter, heavy rainfall, car washes, and freezing rain. No issues. My stuff stayed dry and secure. I love the access, and no canister. I needed to move a large table and desk for my mom, and I simply flipped it out of the way. As Tacomian Devil mentioned, I didn't have to take it off and leave it behind. And Bak Industries is very willing to send out weather stripping for free. I love my G2 and wifey thinks it's the best thing we bought last year other than the Taco itself.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
The Not So New guy
ComaTosin has a spectacular aura aboutComaTosin has a spectacular aura aboutComaTosin has a spectacular aura about

Name: Drew
ComaTosin's Tacoma Gallery
for those of you with a gripe about G2....

I have been researching this and other products to make the best possible decision on my purchase of a new tonneau for my 06 taco DC SB. Ran across this and thought people would find it interesting (esp those who hate this product - might like that direct email addy!!). happy reading......

Hello all,

My name is Julian Maimin and I am the owner of BAK Industries.

After reading many comments and questions on this site about BakFlip, I thought I would share the most up to date information on BakFlip G2 with all of you.

After sending out a few thousand BakFlip G1 covers between Feb and June of this year, we unfortunately came to find out that many of the components used were ultimately failing. This was largely a result of defective rubber seals / 3M adhesive combination which we only found out about due to failures in the market. There were a few issues with gas struts as well on the G1, which put an uneccessary amount of strain on the covers, but the seals seemed to be the primary plaguing issue.

After much hair pulling, frustration and effort, I, along with my key staff sat down and decided to re-engineer the BakFlip from top to bottom, rather than try to put a bandage on the G1. The result is the BakFlip G2 which we introduced late in July of this year.

The new G2 is a far more robust product. The first change made was to the seals. Rather than rely on adhesives, we redesigned the panel frames to accommodate a rubber seal that applied with a tongue and groove design. Kind of like a lock and key. The rubber is fed onto the frames and has resulted in a superb finish which is as strong as nails and absolutely cannot fail.

Next we got away from having to use any tools. All you need now is a single wrench. The install is far shorter and the components used are professional grade knobs etc.

We also changed the Aluminum on the cover, adding 28% more aluminum. The result is heavier panels. In addition the aluminum panel frames have no tape under them. The design underneath encompasses integrated drains, rendering the G2 almost 100% water-tight.

The gas struts never did lock properly on the G1 and as mentioned, put unecessary strain on the unit. We therefor changed to a locking arm-stay on each side. This puts no pressure on the cover and will also keep the cover locked in place so you can drive with it open.

The latches under the cover are now modular. They can be slid fom side to side which allows a real tweaking of the locking feature if required.

All in all, the new BakFlip G2, although similar looking in appearance, has undergone a complete overhail. The result is a phenominal cover that will surely walk away with most awards in it's category this year at SEMA.

I have posted a video of the G2 on YouTube at the following link: http://www.youtube.com/v/NWH0r7gAjsc

I invite all of you to review it and share your comments and suggestions with me at my personal e mail address : julian@bakliner.com

I'd like to leave you with an assurance that I, along with my entire coimpany is 100% dedicated to producing the finest truck bed covers on the market. If we are not, I need to hear about it. I believe in this new G2 with all of my being and trust that you will as well.

Thank you all for the support you've shown over the years and thank you for your honesty. It's allowed us to make a brilliant product.

Kindest regards,

Julian Maimin - CEO
BAK Industries
7307 Coldwater Canyon Ave.
N. Hollywood CA 91605
(818) 764-0031 Fax (818) 764-4750
bak_home.jpg
Old 09-15-2009, 01:37 AM   #9
Faskev is just really niceFaskev is just really niceFaskev is just really niceFaskev is just really nice
Faskev's Tacoma Gallery
I just purchased this exact setup from Diversion Performance in Leduc, AB and I am super happy with it. I like that it allows full access to the bed without having to remove it. With the cover installed properly there is no way someone could reach in between the cover and the tailgate. A potential theif would have to really do some heavy prying with a prybar to get into the box. The cover is just as or if not more secure than the cab as all it takes is to smash a window. The cover does a good job of keeping things dry. Since running the drain hoses directly into the box drains using a hose barb I haven't seen any water get into the box.

I'm not sure if the Bakflip HD is a better design than the G2 but I haven't experienced any of the problems that seem to be associated with the G2.

I highly recommend this cover as it does many things very well!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
moorefun will become famous soon enough
Name: Mark
moorefun's Tacoma Gallery
I just got one of these covers, and a Dyno Lock. I really like it alot. The one thing that I didn't like was the way the drain tubes hooked up. I drilled holes in my bed side and ran the tube there. I think it is much cleaner and wont get snagged on anything in the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Bakflip G2 HD on 09 Tacoma Review-bakflip.jpg  
Old 08-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A potential security problem is the gap between the closed cover and the tailgate. When I Contacted Bak (Thanks for the tip, Scooter), they offered to send a couple pieces of (complimentary) weatherstipping to fill this gap, to reduce the ease of opening the cover with a coat hanger...
That's weird. My BakFlip HD actually overlaps the tail gate.The back seal sits perfect just where it is suppose to be. Looks like you got gypped a inch. There is no way in hell you could get your fingers in there like that on mine. You'd loose your fingers. There is no way they would fit. It sits right on top of the tailgate with the seal on the outside of the tailgate cover.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #12
moorefun will become famous soon enough
Name: Mark
moorefun's Tacoma Gallery
When I first put mine on it was too far forward, and left it short in the back. I slid it to the rear where the seal hung over the rear of the tailgate. There is still plenty of coverage in the front to maintain a seal.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
Canadian member
tacomian devil is a jewel in the roughtacomian devil is a jewel in the roughtacomian devil is a jewel in the roughtacomian devil is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomian devil View Post
Delmarva,

Is it just the rubber seals that you have issue with, or is it the whole design, company, ???
Over 2 years old, and through two Canadian winters; still loving this tonneau cover. Anyone looking for a tonneau cover, I recommend this one without reservation (Bakflip HD)
Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
Canadian member

Durability of Bakflip G2 tonneau cover

BAKFLIP G2 Longevity update:

Cover is over 3 & 1/2 years old, opened and closed every week, and is still working as well as day 1. Very little (if any) noticeable color fading despite though truck parked outside a minimum of 8 hours for 5 of 7 days every week since installed.