1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

thanks avid offroad for making a quality product!

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by thairannosaurus, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Jul 7, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    thairannosaurus

thairannosaurus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Pro
    AC drain mod, interior lights, tonneau cover, avid light bar, N2 remote start, power tailgate lock
    So, in a cruel twist of fate, my 2012 who I've babied and loved for the last year and a half followed the same fate of ALL my other cars and that is the eventual misfortune of getting hit while parked. Unfortunately, the female who hit me this time was my sister. :pout: Somehow, someway, while leaving my dads house after having breakfast with him, she (in her scion xa) didn't happen to see my giant, bright red tacoma behind her and backed up into it with a heavy foot on the throttle. luckily, I had avid's light bar on my truck that I had linexed and it took all of the impact and the only damage to my truck was the light bar got scrapes (it literally only took off a couple chunks of linex, that stuff is amazing!) and pushed it in on the right side and kind of pushed the plastic insert on the bottom bumper in a little. Her car though.... check it out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bumper pretty much wrecked, smashed her left taillight

my truck:

[​IMG]

this is it post accident, can't really tell anything happened to it from this angle. don't mind the lean, I had parked in a pothole.

[​IMG]

the closeup on the "damage". You can actually see the small red dot on the lightbar is a piece of her taillight stuck in my light bar.

[​IMG]

Here is where you can tell the bullbar got pushed in, notice the space in the left side and no space on the right.

So if any of you guys were questioning the durability of the light bar, fear not! It's pretty damn durable. Thanks avid! With all that being said... anyone have any ideas on how to pull that baby back out? the fact that I know my taco is imperfect now is bothering the shit out of me, haha.

oh, and here is the proof my cars are a chick's accident magnet: my old scion tc that I had back in college. Got hit while I was taking a shower and the chick parked diagonally from me, said she "meant to hit the brake but hit the gas" and backed up so fast that it hit my car which pushed it into another car which pushed that car into another car. The fucked up part was she hit me with her mom's car because her car was already in the car shop from another accident.:facepalm:

[​IMG]

Was parked perfectly in that spot btw, haha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this was her (mom's) car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not only did she smash our cars pretty well but managed to do a fucking action-movie j-turn and did damage ALL along the right side of her mom's car

So, in a span of maybe 20 feet, she managed to do 9k worth of damage to my 19k car alone. Her parents had to pay insurance on fixing the other 2 cars as well as pay for my rental car for the 2 months my car was in the shop. Ridiculous. Anyways, rock on Tacoma World!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
    BassAckwards likes this.
  2. Jul 7, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    bubba353z

bubba353z Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Former owner of a 12 TRD Sport AC 4x4
    Some people just shouldn't be allowed to drive......

I've been thinking about front and rear Avid bars, for just that reason.

3. Jul 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM
    thairannosaurus

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Pro
    AC drain mod, interior lights, tonneau cover, avid light bar, N2 remote start, power tailgate lock
    tell me about it. the sad part was her boyfriend wasn't even shocked because she's gotten into so many accidents and i overheard him yelling "another one?!", haha.

if i had the option of redoing my mods, the light bar would be the very first one again. paid itself off before when someone left their shopping cart in the parking lot and it rolled and towards my truck but luckily the light bar runs the entire width of the bumper so the cart just bounced off. that and i've gotten compliments on it, everyone likes it especially because it's something other than a westin bull bar. if you do get one, i strongly recommend getting it linexed. some of the stuff that's happened to it, i don't think powdercoating would've held up half as well as the linex. it's like the stuff regenerates or something, haha.

the guy from avid is on TW and actually gives out a discount to tw members.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/avid-off-road/197369-2012-avid-light-bar.html

really only saves you on shipping but that's still 80 bucks you don't have to spend.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  4. Jul 7, 2013 at 6:49 PM
    bubba353z

bubba353z Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Former owner of a 12 TRD Sport AC 4x4
    Yeah, I like the total bumper coverage too.

What did the Linex run?

5. Jul 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    thairannosaurus

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Pro
    got it done in san antonio. i think it was... about 150? 200? it's been a year or two. so i can't remember exactly.

Products Discussed in

To Top