Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Demello Rock Crusher Sliders. Your thoughts?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
ReddingtonTRD is just really niceReddingtonTRD is just really niceReddingtonTRD is just really niceReddingtonTRD is just really nice

Name: Sean
ReddingtonTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Demello Rock Crusher Sliders. Your thoughts?

Hi! What are your thoughts on Demello's Rock Crusher sliders? I'm not quite sold on their positioning. It seems like they allow for a rather large space between the bottom of the rocker and top of slider. I'm concerned about branches and the like jamming into this space. I've been looking at the standard tubular versions attached to square 2x2" bars, that rotate upward, with more of a snug fit towards the body. Do you feel that this stick out too far and can make tighter trails a pain?

http://www.demello-offroad.com/shop/...roducts_id=220

Thanks! Sean
Old 07-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
RyanL is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
RyanL's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know how much this might help since mine is 1st Gen, but here's what I know from mine:

1. First of all, mine aren't level, but if you weld yours they will be (see my bolt-on woes in my install writeup post). Notice the back is pretty flush with the bottom of the rocker panel. That's how they should be, and would be if I'd welded.

2. They're almost exactly flush with my stock width fenders / tires; the sliders are about 1/2" narrower. Hasn't ever been a problem on a trail, but I don't take too many narrows either.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
You're worried about branches? Seriously? I'm willing to bet this will NEVER happen unless you're breaking your own trail through solid brush while driving OFF the trail. First of all you shouldn't be doing that for obvious reasons.

Secondly if you actually wheel your truck you'll be glad you have some gap between the rockers and the sliders. The first time you drop the full weight of the truck off a ledge down onto your sliders you'll be pissed when your sliders that were tucked up tight to your body smash up the rocker panels that you were trying to protect.

Even strong sliders will flex a little when they take a hard hit.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Loco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Loco38SUP's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if they will cause issues on the trail but I think they stick out too far. The only benefit is that they offer a better step for getting into the truck if you needed it.

My preference is the round slider that mounts closer to the truck.

RJM
Old 07-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
TEQ HED
Mattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mattnatti's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
You're worried about branches? Seriously? I'm willing to bet this will NEVER happen unless you're breaking your own trail through solid brush while driving OFF the trail. First of all you shouldn't be doing that for obvious reasons.

Secondly if you actually wheel your truck you'll be glad you have some gap between the rockers and the sliders. The first time you drop the full weight of the truck off a ledge down onto your sliders you'll be pissed when your sliders that were tucked up tight to your body smash up the rocker panels that you were trying to protect.

^^ what he said.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
I think they look great and definitely will be stout, all square tube is beefy.

I second Box Rockets comment about the necessary gaps. In the video below you will see a pretty hard hit on the pass side. I had to get up on a rock on the drivers side to avoid high center but in doing so the truck is obviously going to fall to the passenger side. I have appx 1/2" gap from pinch weld to sliders, welded sliders and it definitely leaves an impression on the pinch weld when you smack stuff hard enough.

http://youtu.be/Fb3l4DWeb0U
Old 07-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
ReddingtonTRD is just really niceReddingtonTRD is just really niceReddingtonTRD is just really niceReddingtonTRD is just really nice

Name: Sean
ReddingtonTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post

Yes, seriously. The branches I'm referencing are ON the trail. Often times on old logging trails or anywhere else for that matter, fallen debris can be picked up and cause problems. In 2001 on one of my older Toyotas (old school 4" trail- master suspension lift on '91), I drove over a branch (again on the trail) that was picked up by my tire just right such that it went right under the rocker and made an outward protrusion on side panel and bed. It happens.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I based mine on the demello's. I can't stand the way they stick straight out though so I angled mine up, but still kept a good 5/8" space between the pinch weld and slider.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
acuracing is on a distinguished road
acuracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I based mine on the demello's. I can't stand the way they stick straight out though so I angled mine up, but still kept a good 5/8" space between the pinch weld and slider.
Very clean looking. I'm getting inspired now...
Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #12
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco38SUP View Post
I don't know if they will cause issues on the trail but I think they stick out too far. The only benefit is that they offer a better step for getting into the truck if you needed it.

My preference is the round slider that mounts closer to the truck.

RJM
Mine stick out much further. When I get my bigger tires they will be just about even with them.
Demello Rock Crusher Sliders. Your thoughts?-img00927-20130518-2009.jpg

Tightest I've been. Rubbed both sliders on either side.Demello Rock Crusher Sliders. Your thoughts?-img00950-20130518-2102-1-.jpg

OP I think those sliders would treat you well. Like was mentioned, if you do use them you will want space for movement.