Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Uniden Vs. Cobra

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
Uniden Vs. Cobra

So I am debating between 2 CB radios, the Uniden Bearcat 880 and the Cobra 29LX. I know most people are going to say it all depends on what you like for options, but has anyone had any positive/negative feedback from either of these companies and/or these specific products?

Uniden: http://www.uniden.com/cb-radios/bear...vt/bearcat880g

Cobra: https://www.cobra.com/detail/29-lx-c...cd-display.cfm
Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
adriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: USMC
Name: Adrian
adriancast's Tacoma Gallery
man those are expensive. I bought my uniden for $40. Comes with weather and PA. Now they're $80. The ones you picked out just look fancy. That uniden does the same as mine. The cobra seems you would need all those features if you were a trucker, but if you just use for trails then get something more affordable. They all do the same thing pretty much. you can always add wattage so people can hear you from long distance.

here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriancast View Post
man those are expensive. I bought my uniden for $40. Comes with weather and PA. Now they're $80. The ones you picked out just look fancy. That uniden does the same as mine. The cobra seems you would need all those features if you were a trucker, but if you just use for trails then get something more affordable. They all do the same thing pretty much. you can always add wattage so people can hear you from long distance.

Yeah I saw that one but didn't think of it at the time. You are completely right though. Which side is the speaker on? Top or bottom?
Old 07-18-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Out of those two I would go with the Cobra. I have never been a fan of Uniden. If you're worried about the speaker just get an external one, they will sound a hell of a lot better and you can put it where you want. BTW you can find that LX cheaper if you look around.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
^ I would say Cobra also. And an external speaker is much better than most CB speakers.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
adriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Speaker is under. It is super loud. I don't even put volume past half way. Look through my pics and you can see my setup.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #8

Air Force:
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I found them both for 109.99 but those links are where I could find the most information on them.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
waheed is on a distinguished road

Name: Waheed
waheed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriancast View Post

Thats a good price on that Amazon one dude....You think the quality any Good??
Old 07-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
:D
Jux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Jux's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking of picking up that same model of Cobra but was a bit concerned about size; I was planning on making a cardboard mockup to test out positioning.

Sub'd for outcome.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waheed View Post
Thats a good price on that Amazon one dude....You think the quality any Good??
Had it over two months and not complaining. Size might matter to you too. So if you want to hide it or it doesnt matter then the uniden I got is fine.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
thefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedthefatkid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
thefatkid's Tacoma Gallery
Cobra used to be built by Uniden. The current Cobras are not though. As for what is better, that really is personal preference. They both get good reviews. They both are FCC legal 4 watt carrier.... well they can be at least. Just remember, the best radio is still crap without a quality antenna/install.

I'm liking my Galaxy, it is just BIG.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #15
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery

If you are worried about size and mounting in the Tacoma maybe look at one of these........

My Uniden is ages old and still "kicking"..riding in the Mack right now as the Magnum was at the "Shop"....

The Uniden will go back as the spare when I finally purchase a 75 wx st...These are a favorite with my off-roading group and include mounting them in FJC's and Tacomas....
Old 07-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #16

Air Force:
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post

If you are worried about size and mounting in the Tacoma maybe look at one of these........

My Uniden is ages old and still "kicking"..riding in the Mack right now as the Magnum was at the "Shop"....

The Uniden will go back as the spare when I finally purchase a 75 wx st...These are a favorite with my off-roading group and include mounting them in FJC's and Tacomas....
I think I'll go with the Uniden... From what I've heard they seem very reliable. I was thinking of the 75wx but I just like the idea is having an old school radio with the new technology. But I do agree, the 75wx seems very popular for fj and Tacoma. I just want something a little different I think.

Products Discussed in this Thread