Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Keyless Entry Keypad review

Old 06-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #21
Chilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chilli Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I figured I'd give an update. It took me about 2 hours to install the JBS Keypad. The only thing that was a little confusing was the programing instructions to change the security code. I was able to figure it out about the 3rd time I tried without having to call tech support. I recomend this product. I've been using it the past couple of weeks with no problem. It's helpful when I go to the beach. I don't have to keep up with my keys. I chose to mount the keypad in the bed of my truck.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #22
Hunter-Gatherer
DBZ is a name known to allDBZ is a name known to allDBZ is a name known to allDBZ is a name known to allDBZ is a name known to allDBZ is a name known to all
DBZ's Tacoma Gallery
Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcorehehaw View Post
Here is my review of the JBS technologies Keyless Entry Keypad.

I bought this item on eBay, they go for about $40 shipped. Not to shabby.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wirel...Q5fAccessories
Installation time: Under 2 hours
Installation difficulty: Moderately easy, if you can use a test light, splice and make wire connections, you can do this.
The hardest part is working in such a small area on the driver's floor board.
Ease of use: A caveman can do it

The keypad itself comes with a 1 year warranty, is weather resistant and also completely wireless. JBS claims the batteries for the keypad will last over 5 years with normal use.
It basically works like any aftermarket keyless entry system, except instead of a key fob, it uses the keypad with a 5 digit pin code.
It is compatible with any vehicle that has power door locks and it does not interfere the stock keyless entry system.
This unit is pretty much exactly like the keypads that come on some fords. It is capable of having 2 personalized 5 digit codes and it can both lock and unlock the doors.
Free technical support is available as well as wiring diagrams and vehicle information for many different vehicles including 1st and 2nd gen Tacomas.
I didn't use any of these and just sort of winged it and everything worked out great.

After I installed the wireless receiver I took the keypad about 30 feet away to test it's range and I WAS able to lock and unlock the doors from that distance but not much further.

Installation was fairly straight forward. There are really only 4 wires to hook up.
Of course determining which wires are for the door lock switch may take a little bit of time. (The wiring diagram on bulldogsecurity's website was incorrect, they gave the wrong color code of the lock switch, however my truck is an 09 and my be different.) The locks are also reversed polarity which requires a different type of installation for the wireless receiver. Also the keypad needs to be reprogrammed before use for dual pulse locks. It's pretty easy to do and all the necessary information is in the instruction manual. Again start to finish installation and programming of the keypad took less than 2 hours.

If anyone else is interested in the keypad I will do a complete write up on installation with pictures if it will help. But I didn't take any as I went because it was getting dark out.

I have not yet mounted the keypad because I was trying to figure out the best location for it, I didn't want to put it on my door and take the chance of it messing up the paint so I'm thinking I will either put it on the inside of the gas tank lid or on the back of the hood near the windshield wipers. I'll post back with pics when I get the keypad mounted.

The keypad works great and I highly recommend it. I'll never have to worry about getting locked out of my truck and if I want to go to the beach or somewhere and don't want to carry my keys I can just lock them safely inside the truck. It beats hiding them in the bed or gas tank lid, right?

Here are some pictures of the wireless receiver installed:
It's a pretty clean install, most of the wires stay hidden behind the kick panel. The yellow wire is the antenna.

Here are a few possible locations for the keypad:
I just put some scotch tape temporarily on the back. The keypad looks like it will sit flush when installed using the double sided tape.
Backside of the hood:

Inside gas cap, I didn't take the time to make it look good, but you get the idea:

On the door, which I probably won't do:

A few more locations...
Behind the rear window:

In the bed compartments:

And very top secret, in between the cab and bed, you can't see the numbers so you gotta do it by feel, you really can't see anything:

In plain sight on the mirror base, probably not smart, lol:
Can you give an update on how well the product is working after one year?

I saw this brand for $40 and another at $80 listed on eBay.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #24
I love my taco
tfortunato is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
tfortunato's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking for this online and I can't find it. Tried bulldog's website and that isn't working either. Suggestions?
Old 12-17-2010, 04:44 AM   #25
Hunter-Gatherer
DBZ is a name known to allDBZ is a name known to allDBZ is a name known to allDBZ is a name known to allDBZ is a name known to allDBZ is a name known to all
DBZ's Tacoma Gallery
Ebay is the only place I have found the specific model in the original post. You can verify it is the JBS model by the second picture in the listing below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

$40 isn't a lot of money, but I have been hoping the OP will post an update to the original review before I pull the trigger.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #27
Chilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedChilli Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chilli Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I've had mine installed since June 2010 and I have no complaints! It is a very useful device at a good price. The only place you will be able to find one is off ebay or from someone selling it second hand now. JBS technologies no longer makes them so you have to find someone that bought them before they stopped production. If you can find one I recommend buying it!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:55 AM   #28
Hunter-Gatherer
DBZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Taco View Post
Well, I've had mine installed since June 2010 and I have no complaints! It is a very useful device at a good price. The only place you will be able to find one is off ebay or from someone selling it second hand now. JBS technologies no longer makes them so you have to find someone that bought them before they stopped production. If you can find one I recommend buying it!
Thanks for the reply. That pretty much solidifies my decision. I do have one question. Is the battery that powers the keypad replaceable? Meaning if it goes dead is it as simple as replacing the battery found in the keyless entry fob on your keychain?

Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #32
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
I think under the bed rail or the bed compartment above the wheel well would be a good mounting spot for the keypad.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:34 AM   #33
Hunter-Gatherer
DBZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogrc View Post
I think under the bed rail or the bed compartment above the wheel well would be a good mounting spot for the keypad.
I have always thought the OP's idea of putting it on the inside of the gas door was a good idea. That keeps it hidden, but accessible and you can see the keys as you enter the code. Although it looks like it could be crowded with the keypad, gas cap, and the gas cap lanyard.

I'm honestly surprised Ford is the only manufacturer that offers the keypad as a factory option. When I had my Pathfinder it was an option at the dealership, but looked like a non OEM piece and did not look like it belonged on the door.

That is one option I am defintely envious of on my friends' trucks. Well, that and the Sync system. That's pretty sweet too.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #34
Dube295 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Avn Tech
Name: Andre-Luc
Dube295's Tacoma Gallery
Just order mine I have seen 2 type on ebay ... They other one as option like to open a trunk or an other auxilary ... but look also easier to program(got a switch on the box) but it's not like you change that code every 2 houre

wondering where you plug it ... is it possible to plug it at the same place as the factory keyless entry send the signal ... so make the parking light flash with that bip sound too ...

Because I remember when I was looking my self inside the truck the switch didn't work to unlock the door I had to move the button manually or have to use the keyless entry again ... so if i plug my controle box of my key pad on my switch like some of you seen to have done ... I'm wondering if it'S going to work ...

Thanks for your answer ...
Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #35
frankmayor is on a distinguished road
frankmayor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcorehehaw View Post
Updated the the main post.

The company sent me back the keypad and claimed there was nothing wrong with it. They left me a note and asked that I call them and they would walk me through the reprogram steps.
I called them, they walked me through it and I was able to program a new code into it. The written directions weren't very clear.

The keypad is working fine now with my new code. I still haven't mounted it on the truck yet, but I think I've decided inside the gap cap may be the best place for me.
Hello Hardcorehehaw. I too successfully installed the TP100 but cannot change the code by following the instructions. Can you tell me how you did it.
Thanks,
Frank
Old 04-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #37
Hunter-Gatherer
DBZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gov875 View Post
Well i just got this today from eBay for $20 shipped anyone have a how to with full instructions and wire colors for a 2010? I know the OP said the wiring diagram online was wrong for his 09 so i assume it's probably going to be out of date for the 10 as well. Thanks!
You may need to PM the OP or Chilli Taco since both got it installed.

Also, where did you find it for $20 on eBay? Cheapest I can find it is $40. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #38
WahooTaco
gov875 is a jewel in the roughgov875 is a jewel in the roughgov875 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Matt
gov875's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
You may need to PM the OP or Chilli Taco since both got it installed.

Also, where did you find it for $20 on eBay? Cheapest I can find it is $40. Thanks!

PM'd both we'll see if they respond before i start cutting things up this weekend.

I got it off ebay for $15.50 shipped actually the seller was scotty1h and here's a link (not sure if it will work though since it's ended) http://www.ebay.com/itm/251033907298...84.m1439.l2649
I may have just gotten lucky and it was one that he got and never used. I actually had forgotten i bid $5 on it until i got the alert that I'd won.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #39
Dube295 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Avn Tech
Name: Andre-Luc
Dube295's Tacoma Gallery
I install it on my 2011 last year and it'S awsome for the wiring diagrame since a couple color of wires seem to change every year I recommand to do like me and pay 15 $ I think for 3 day and Guet access to everything you want on your tacoma ...

https://techinfo.toyota.com

That thing is aswome it's probably what they use in Toyota garage ...
Old 02-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #40
jbs keypad is on a distinguished road
jbs keypad's Tacoma Gallery
I have had this for a few years. The problem I have is that while the unit works great when testing, when it is needed it does not work.
I have determined that the unit only works when the locks are manually activated within 3 minutes. If you wait longer than 3 minutes the unit will not unlock the doors.
I have tried many batteries on this so it is not batteries and it works endlessly as long as you don't take a 3 minute break.

If anyone knows what the problem is please let me know by responding on this forum.
Otherwise I may have found out why the company went out of business.