Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Keyless Entry Keypad review

Old 03-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
1 man wolf pack
Hardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Evan
Hardcorehehaw's Tacoma Gallery
Keyless Entry Keypad review

Here is my review of the JBS technologies Keyless Entry Keypad.

I bought this item on eBay, they go for about $40 shipped. Not to shabby.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wirel...Q5fAccessories
Installation time: Under 2 hours
Installation difficulty: Moderately easy, if you can use a test light, splice and make wire connections, you can do this.
The hardest part is working in such a small area on the driver's floor board.
Ease of use: A caveman can do it

The keypad itself comes with a 1 year warranty, is weather resistant and also completely wireless. JBS claims the batteries for the keypad will last over 5 years with normal use.
It basically works like any aftermarket keyless entry system, except instead of a key fob, it uses the keypad with a 5 digit pin code.
It is compatible with any vehicle that has power door locks and it does not interfere the stock keyless entry system.
This unit is pretty much exactly like the keypads that come on some fords. It is capable of having 2 personalized 5 digit codes and it can both lock and unlock the doors.
Free technical support is available as well as wiring diagrams and vehicle information for many different vehicles including 1st and 2nd gen Tacomas.
I didn't use any of these and just sort of winged it and everything worked out great.

After I installed the wireless receiver I took the keypad about 30 feet away to test it's range and I WAS able to lock and unlock the doors from that distance but not much further.

Installation was fairly straight forward. There are really only 4 wires to hook up.
Of course determining which wires are for the door lock switch may take a little bit of time. (The wiring diagram on bulldogsecurity's website was incorrect, they gave the wrong color code of the lock switch, however my truck is an 09 and my be different.) The locks are also reversed polarity which requires a different type of installation for the wireless receiver. Also the keypad needs to be reprogrammed before use for dual pulse locks. It's pretty easy to do and all the necessary information is in the instruction manual. Again start to finish installation and programming of the keypad took less than 2 hours.

If anyone else is interested in the keypad I will do a complete write up on installation with pictures if it will help. But I didn't take any as I went because it was getting dark out.

I have not yet mounted the keypad because I was trying to figure out the best location for it, I didn't want to put it on my door and take the chance of it messing up the paint so I'm thinking I will either put it on the inside of the gas tank lid or on the back of the hood near the windshield wipers. I'll post back with pics when I get the keypad mounted.

The keypad works great and I highly recommend it. I'll never have to worry about getting locked out of my truck and if I want to go to the beach or somewhere and don't want to carry my keys I can just lock them safely inside the truck. It beats hiding them in the bed or gas tank lid, right?

Here are some pictures of the wireless receiver installed:
It's a pretty clean install, most of the wires stay hidden behind the kick panel. The yellow wire is the antenna.

Here are a few possible locations for the keypad:
I just put some scotch tape temporarily on the back. The keypad looks like it will sit flush when installed using the double sided tape.
Backside of the hood:

Inside gas cap, I didn't take the time to make it look good, but you get the idea:

On the door, which I probably won't do:

A few more locations...
Behind the rear window:

In the bed compartments:

And very top secret, in between the cab and bed, you can't see the numbers so you gotta do it by feel, you really can't see anything:

In plain sight on the mirror base, probably not smart, lol:
Attached Thumbnails
Keyless Entry Keypad review-keypad.jpg  
Old 03-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Can we get some pics of it on the truck? I'd like to see it "in action."
Old 03-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
You can't get us all excited about this project and then not show us some pictures!!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely need to see some pictures but it appears the pad can be placed ANYWHERE. That is a great feature as I wouldn't want it on my door. I'd rather hide in a more inconspicuous spot, like inside the gas door or on the back of the cab (above the bed).

I may have to drop the $40 to try this out.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
1 man wolf pack
Hardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
OK guys I added a few pics. Sorry if the quality isn't all that great, all I had available was my iPhone.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Hooked
weihenstephaner is a splendid one to beholdweihenstephaner is a splendid one to beholdweihenstephaner is a splendid one to beholdweihenstephaner is a splendid one to beholdweihenstephaner is a splendid one to beholdweihenstephaner is a splendid one to beholdweihenstephaner is a splendid one to behold

weihenstephaner's Tacoma Gallery
Nicely done. I'd mount it in one of the bed cubbies over the wheelwells.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
1 man wolf pack

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by weihenstephaner View Post
Nicely done. I'd mount it in one of the bed cubbies over the wheelwells.
Anywhere in the bed is out for me because I'm getting a fold-a-cover that I intend to keep locked.
I am still trying to figure out the best place to mount it.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
Don't go ninja'in nobody don't need ninja'in
Buzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud of

Buzzoff's Tacoma Gallery
Niiiiice!!!! You can beat a $40 mod!!!! How about putting the keypad under the rear window (drivers side)?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if this can be used with the motorized pop n lock
Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
1 man wolf pack

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzoff View Post
Niiiiice!!!! You can beat a $40 mod!!!! How about putting the keypad under the rear window (drivers side)?
I thought about that but like I said I will be getting a fold-a-cover tonneua and don't know what kind of clearance that will have. Hopefully a lot because the cover is supposed to be very low-pro. I'll check that out tomorrow and post a pic.
Anyone have any other possible ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by raskal311 View Post
It has an output wire for a trunk release, not sure what it would take to get it working though.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raskal311 View Post

Yes you can. My last aftermarket alarm had a trunk button that i made turn the lights off and on. as long as it needs an electric pulse, an alarm can do it for the most part.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
1 man wolf pack

Firefighter:
Added a few more pictures as well as a warning to those buying this...
I'm going to have to send my keypad back to the company for replacement, I called tech support and they think my keypad is defective because it won't let me program a new replacement code in. I'm not sure if this is a common problem or not, but just thought I'd let everyone know.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #14
Money Pit
tacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant future

Name: Chase
tacoma89's Tacoma Gallery
any update for the company? are they sending you a new one? i really like this product but want to make sure its worth the money.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #15
1 man wolf pack

Firefighter:
I mailed the keypad back on Friday. I should know something in a few days and will post back when I do.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #16
1 man wolf pack

Firefighter:
Updated the the main post.

The company sent me back the keypad and claimed there was nothing wrong with it. They left me a note and asked that I call them and they would walk me through the reprogram steps.
I called them, they walked me through it and I was able to program a new code into it. The written directions weren't very clear.

The keypad is working fine now with my new code. I still haven't mounted it on the truck yet, but I think I've decided inside the gap cap may be the best place for me.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #17
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Cool! Good to know they cared enough to write a note.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #18
sapper987 will become famous soon enough

Army: Vet
sapper987's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcorehehaw View Post
Updated the the main post.

The company sent me back the keypad and claimed there was nothing wrong with it. They left me a note and asked that I call them and they would walk me through the reprogram steps.
I called them, they walked me through it and I was able to program a new code into it. The written directions weren't very clear.

The keypad is working fine now with my new code. I still haven't mounted it on the truck yet, but I think I've decided inside the gap cap may be the best place for me.
So what's the new code?

(I'll be in Orlando this weekend on vacation)
Old 05-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #19
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
How about an update on this product? Looks like it's been a year. Any problems to report?