Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Tracrac TracOne (Universal) Review/Build for 05+ Tacoma Bed Rack

Old 09-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #21
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
11/16"W x 1/4"H ID with a 3/8" wide slot
Thanks Boyd

Nice avy BTW
Old 11-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #22
sfcyclist is on a distinguished road

sfcyclist's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up and customizing. I just go the Tracrac G2 with cantilever.

I had a few minor issues;
Need to chase almost every 3/8-16 tapped hole.
Bed pockets block the clamp from sliding into place so I had to remove them.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #23
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcyclist View Post
Nice write up and customizing. I just go the Tracrac G2 with cantilever.

I had a few minor issues;
Need to chase almost every 3/8-16 tapped hole.
Bed pockets block the clamp from sliding into place so I had to remove them.
I didn't chase anything. Waxed up the bolts up and drove them home with a ratchet Your idea is much safer than mine and I know others have had the same issue with the powder-coating clogging the threads up.

No need to remove them. Just push the bed pockets in and slide the clamps past them. It is a tight fit, but you can do it.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I didn't chase anything. Waxed up the bolts up and drove them home with a ratchet Your idea is much safer than mine and I know others have had the same issue with the powder-coating clogging the threads up.

No need to remove them. Just push the bed pockets in and slide the clamps past them. It is a tight fit, but you can do it.
Well perhaps your thread were not as bad as mine.. as long as it doesn't gall up!

My guess is the bed flexes enough to push it past... stupid me.. I already cracked one taking it off.. ugh.. will try to slide it past later..

Quality is real nice though. Love the channel as I can use it to fit Thule accessories.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #25
hygieneboy will become famous soon enough

Navy: Sub Pilot
hygieneboy's Tacoma Gallery
What type of saw did you use to cut down the rack?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #26
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hygieneboy View Post
What type of saw did you use to cut down the rack?

I used a 12" compound miter saw with a 120 tooth industrial blade meant for cutting aluminum. Waxed it up like I always do and it cut like butter. The less teeth you have the slower and more cautiouse you need to be. Aluminum tends to melt into the teeth so after each cut inspect the blade for this. If it occurs remove the build up and wax the blade before the next cut....and cut SLOWER so it doesn't happen again.

For the other guy who PM'd me while on vacation concerning the lengths I cut mine down to - they are listed in the OP.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #27
hygieneboy will become famous soon enough

Navy: Sub Pilot
hygieneboy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I guess a hack saw might take a while ��
Old 09-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #28
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hygieneboy View Post
Thanks, I guess a hack saw might take a while ��
Nah... 5-10 min tops with the right blade on it and a miter box. The extrusions are pretty thin.

I would do it if I didn't have a saw.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:09 AM   #29
Taco-N-Madre
jruba is on a distinguished road
jruba's Tacoma Gallery
I like what you did here man , ive been looking for some ideas to customize my thule rack and I think I found them , let me ask you what is the primary use for the outside L tracks ? , awning ? tarp ? because that's something im interested in ..

heres mine :
Attached Thumbnails
Tracrac TracOne (Universal) Review/Build for 05+ Tacoma Bed Rack-wp_ss_20140919_0001-1-.jpg  
Old 12-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #30

latest update

The Trac Rac is holding up fine but overloaded it and tore the composite bed at the front corner.

I noticed that other racks have a plate that is the length of the bed. I am sure that distributes the load better. Or they have a strut that transfers load to the base on the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Tracrac TracOne (Universal) Review/Build for 05+ Tacoma Bed Rack-rack-support-front-mount-640.jpg  
Old 12-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #31
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcyclist View Post
The Trac Rac is holding up fine but overloaded it and tore the composite bed at the front corner.

I noticed that other racks have a plate that is the length of the bed. I am sure that distributes the load better. Or they have a strut that transfers load to the base on the bed.

The legs were forced outward most likely

Had a lumber rack on my old truck break the metal bed the same way
Old 12-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The legs were forced outward most likely

Had a lumber rack on my old truck break the metal bed the same way
That makes sense but the struts shown only provide vertical support. I am sure this will help but then it's the next weakest point which is probably what your noting.