Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Tracrac TracOne (Universal) Review/Build for 05+ Tacoma Bed Rack

Old 09-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Tracrac TracOne (Universal) Review/Build for 05+ Tacoma Bed Rack

Got if from Lowes for $299.00. They offer models for our trucks, but I did not like their prices or the added hardware they give you so I decided to do it A la carte and end up with what I think is a better rack for my uses while being a little less money.

Grabbed some Tacoma bed rail clamps $79.99 online (they are cheaper now)

Beef!!!

The Tracone is a universal rack and works for a fullsize truck so it's tall and wide on a Tacoma......VVV

I didn't want to hit every tree in the woods or have a need for a rack 5" taller than my cab so I cut it down in length and width.

test fit width

Cut 9" off the width

After I cut down the horizontals I added notches to each so I never had to remove the end caps to put new hardware on it. Tracrack was smart and everything for it is the same 3/8" thread. Because of this the options for fabbing home made holders or adding other aftermarket rack hardware to it is limitless if you use a little imagination.

Had to drill one hole in each horizontal's cut side for the end caps.

I cut 4" off both the front and the back, but I would recommend 3" in the front and 4" in the back if you turn your kayak upside down like I do. My front kayak handle hits the cab offroad so I have since added 3/4" of height back to the front rack (luckily I saved all my cut offs).

handles hitting with yaks flipped at 4" of cut off before I raised it

The holes are the perfect diameter after cutting so no need for drilling. Just tap it with 3/8" and your good to go with the stock bolts.

If you mount it the way you are supposed to you loose a good 5" of bed space

So I turned my front rack around removed the front bed rail for max clearance and bed space

Tool box mounts right into the 3/8" standard threaded holes on top of the brackets. Each bracket has one. They also give you two additional brackets should your tool box be more than 12" deep. I didn't need them.

still plenty of room for the hi lift

13' & 9' yaks

I recommend swapping out the bed clamp bolts. They suck and are to long due to being universal. Use stainless 3/8" - 16 x 1-1/2" Hex heads

Recent mods.....

Sanded/primed/painted black

added 1' of airline/"L" track to each outside vertical

I put some great 3m tape on them so there wasn't metal to metal contact and to help hold them.

used 1/4-20 tap

1/4-20 x 1" stainless screws

you can get all kinds of fittings but I chose these for my uses

Added single pc of L track to each lower inside corner for strapping stuff into the bed or in the middle of the rack.

Be sure to Loctite everything and you should be good to go.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
That looks really nice man. Good job I might try this
Old 09-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktaco View Post
That looks really nice man. Good job I might try this

Thanks.

Another guy came up with a pretty cool topper mod for them I have been looking at and pondering about http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ly-topper.html
Old 09-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
This doesn't look like a motor swap

Nice work man, looks good! Love me some L track
Old 09-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Odie
trdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
I really like the addition of the L track! Paint looks good as well. I wonder how it will hold up with sliding yaks on and off? My 12 ft 75 lb sit on top has rubbed the original clear coat off after just a year.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Is the original finish anodized aluminum? I have the thule height adjustable racks and want to paint them black. Your racks look awesome
Old 09-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Nice thread Boyd

Just one point I'll make , my aluminum headache rack did not get along with stainless bolts
Old 09-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Can you still haul full size sheets of plywood or would they hit the cab (assuming they'd flex down) or is that not a concern for the rack?
Old 09-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY50cal View Post

Motor is coming soon. Recouping funds after wheel bearings on the dam Ford. Now I'm just working on the crap I accrued for it over the past year

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdNick View Post
I really like the addition of the L track! Paint looks good as well. I wonder how it will hold up with sliding yaks on and off? My 12 ft 75 lb sit on top has rubbed the original clear coat off after just a year.
Thanks. No the paint will not hold up. The original powder coat didn't either. The yaks wore down to raw aluminum. I didn't post it yet because I didn't take pics, but on the front in the middle I didn't paint it and put down rubber roof flashing. I just painted the rear today so in a day or two when it's cured Ill do that one and take pics. I looked all over for a good rubber and even got some 1" x 4' strips I was going to glue down. One day I was walking by my tape shelf and saw the flashing and a light went off so I said screw glue and rubber just use the easy stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Is the original finish anodized aluminum? I have the thule height adjustable racks and want to paint them black. Your racks look awesome
Powdercoat & crappy at that. I got pics of it bubbling up on my camera Ill post when I'm done with the rear rack. I sanded the bubbles down and primer/filled them before paint.

I know it won't hold up with tree's scraping it up, but a touch up every year or so is easy now.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Nice thread Boyd

Just one point I'll make , my aluminum headache rack did not get along with stainless bolts
Would an anti-seize compound help with the steel/aluminum reaction? Or maybe the Loctite?

Loving the black!

Great ideas Boyd!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY50cal View Post

x2
Old 09-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice thread Boyd

Wonder if bathing them in loctite will help me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Can you still haul full size sheets of plywood or would they hit the cab (assuming they'd flex down) or is that not a concern for the rack?
Never tried a sheet of plywood. I did have (2) 5' x 15' skids up there last winter and wheeled with them for about a mile with no straps on them and never heard anything hit. My roofs already dented from hitting trees anyway so if it did hit it's no biggie

Old 09-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Like.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #14
Huge Member
Eddie Van is on a distinguished road

Navy: E2 Driver
Eddie Van's Tacoma Gallery
Great review. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #15
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery

No more slippery silver

Old 09-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #16
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
What's the width of the track on the top of the bars , looks like it's the same as my DeWalt ProRac on my cap
Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's the width of the track on the top of the bars , looks like it's the same as my DeWalt ProRac on my cap

exactly 4" at it's widest

very possible to have a similar extrusion die used for both products.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #18
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
better view of cut off I saved

Old 09-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
exactly 4" at it's widest

very possible to have a similar extrusion die used for both products.
Sorry , I meant the actual T slot track
Old 09-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry , I meant the actual T slot track

11/16"W x 1/4"H ID with a 3/8" wide slot