Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Airaid Intake installed on 2006 Toyota Tundra 4.7l

Old 09-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Total Automotive Performance
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chas
Chas of MRT's Tacoma Gallery
Airaid Intake installed on 2006 Toyota Tundra 4.7l

So this Tundra is my 5th Toyota that Ive really grown to love. I had an 03 Tacoma that had over $20k invested into it. One of the first performance mods I had always put on cars & trucks was an intake. Less restriction, larger filter surface area, smoother piping, it always made sense. The tradeoff is going to be increased noise. I put one on my Tacoma and after tuning and a dyno, the intake netted 7hp. Doesn't sound huge but its a noticeable 4% increase.

After owning the tundra for a few years as a tow/work truck I thought it deserved some toys so I purchased 5100's, HIDs, LEDs, and an Airaid Intake. I also bought a pre-filter because I use the truck as a chase / support vehicle in the desert and often drive in silt. It is also the TAP Auto Parts work truck and tows race cars sometimes.

The Airaid came packaged very well. Everything was individually sealed so you knew right where it was. I didnt follow the instructions because I am a man, and it was very straightforward to put together and install. The tube compared to stock is MUCH smoother and the heat shield looks like it does a good job sealing out engine bay heat. It also gave me a nice spot to mount my HID ballasts.

During the install I took off the throttle body (to install the spacer) and gave it a good cleaning. I was surprised how much grime can build up in the intake manifold. I also performed a TB coolant bypass as it has had some pretty good results on SoCalTundras in reference to inlet temperatures.

The only issue I had during install was the clearance of the upper radiator hose inlet and the throttle body with the spacer installed. It does fit without modification, its just tricky getting it lined up. The intake fits like factory and I was very impressed with the overall construction and materials.

Took it for a drive and immediately noticed an increased sound under load. It sounds throaty, like a strong V8 should. I dont mind the noise, even on long road-trips its hardly noticeable while cruising but has a deep tone that opens up as you get on the throttle. At 70mph and at idle, there is no difference in decibel level or tone. I do hear a slight spooling//whistling sound between 1400-2100rpms at 25% throttle, which is due to the spacer. I cannot hear it at any other time. Im not sure what difference the spacer made over the intake on its own, but I definitely notice a touchier throttle which I like. When running thru the sand dunes this sounds like a race truck! I love it.

Over 20k with it installed now, and have recorded more miles per tank under normal driving conditions. The increase isnt huge, but it is noticeable. Ive jumped from about 350 miles per tank to 370ish. It does seem to be a bit quicker thru the gears, but I have not had any dyno time nor have I recorded any speed runs. I plan to do some long term testing to see how the ECU reacts to the increased airflow.

The Pre-filter is a must for anyone driving in the desert. The factory system will clog and the filter does not do a sufficient job keeping this fine dust-mist out. After logging 500 miles in Baja, I removed the prefilter and Airaid air filter when I got home and was surprised to see how clean the intake tube was. The nylon sock is easy to slide on and off and rinses clean with a hose.

All in all, I highly recommended the Airaid intake for Toyota Tundras if you are into this sort of thing.

Check out all the Airaid Intakes for Toyota Trucks at TAP Auto Parts. Use code TACOMAWORLD to save big on all Airaid products.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U60EwHMjuQ