Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Afe cold air intake help.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Andday is on a distinguished road
Army:
Andday's Tacoma Gallery
Afe cold air intake help.

I have a "13 4x4 base model. I want to get the most power and mpg out of the engine so I was thinking of buying the afe stage 2 cai. Before buying it I want to hear a review from the people that already had this upgrade installed. Does it really do what it says it would do?!?
Old 11-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
So what other people are saying (what I believe you have already read) is that the Tacoma comes from the factory with a cold air intake since the stock intake pulls air from the right front fender well. Just get an AFE Pro Dry S drop in filter and call it done. The reusable filter will flow better than stock paper filter and will save you $$$ in the long run since it's washable.

I had an AFE Stage 2 CAI with an AFE Pro Dry S filter. I pretty much paid $250+ for a glorified noise maker since it made the engine noise more noticible. I noticed no change in MPGs, and my butt dyno says I gained very little "umph" in the upper end of the RPM band, and lost some low end torque. I switched back to stock after 2 years with it.

To each his own, but this is my experience with an aftermarket CAI.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
You won't see any increase in mpg with any intake, other than maybe a hot air intake during cold winters.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
Supercharged Mileage Master
MikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enoughMikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enough
MikeyLikesIt's Tacoma Gallery
I had an increase in MPG after I installed my AFE Stage 2 SI.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
cstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carl
cstephan's Tacoma Gallery
i have the AFE stage 2 prodry in my 4.0, 2013 double cab, this last trip to SC from WV i noticed 3MPG more during the trip, also with 500LBS of gear with me. if your not throttle happy, you will notice a gain.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
So what other people are saying (what I believe you have already read) is that the Tacoma comes from the factory with a cold air intake since the stock intake pulls air from the right front fender well. Just get an AFE Pro Dry S drop in filter and call it done. The reusable filter will flow better than stock paper filter and will save you $$$ in the long run since it's washable.

I had an AFE Stage 2 CAI with an AFE Pro Dry S filter. I pretty much paid $250+ for a glorified noise maker since it made the engine noise more noticible. I noticed no change in MPGs, and my butt dyno says I gained very little "umph" in the upper end of the RPM band, and lost some low end torque. I switched back to stock after 2 years with it.

To each his own, but this is my experience with an aftermarket CAI.
This^^^