Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

2nd gen taco exhaust and or intake?suggestions?

Old 11-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
steeds is on a distinguished road

Name: ryan
steeds's Tacoma Gallery
2nd gen taco exhaust and or intake?suggestions?

hey guys i have a 2013 taco. access cab.
looking to get a catback exhust just for a lil sound, nothing fancy and i know more so a waste of money.i realize that.haha

hear the borla exhaust was pretty nice ? anyone have input?
or suggestions for exhausts to choose from? photos or videos would be grateful

and what do you feel about intakes ? suggestions
Old 11-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Afe stage 2 Si is a well liked intake here and on xru... With the pro dry S filter... Requires no oil

And if u just want sound, have a muffler welded onto stock piping.... Same effect, hundreds cheaper.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #3

steeds's Tacoma Gallery
thanks i'll take a look into the intake, but for the exhaust ideal i appreciate it but i'll probably go the new route. just lookin for a good exhaust or if anyone recommends any brand.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #4

steeds's Tacoma Gallery
soooooo
i was able to find a air aide for 300.00 or AFE stage 2 intake for 350.00 (was told a 1hp and around 12 tq in difference)
and
a catback magna flow exhaust 450.00

any suggestions ? yes or noooo...input ?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #5

steeds's Tacoma Gallery
nm got the AFE intake/exhaust

Old 12-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
meinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud of
meinsamr's Tacoma Gallery
That's crazy that you posted this just a few hours ago. I'm intake/exhaust shopping as I type this, and the sound of that AFE system is exactly what I was looking for. It seems like everything else makes these trucks sound like a 4-cyl import sedan (I'd use another term, but I don't want to offend). This easily has the best sound of any I've heard so far.

Thanks and congrats!

edit

Oh, my name is Ryan too, btw. lol

edit #2

Did you get the 2.5" or 3" pipes? I notice that AFE likes to display dyno charts for their 2.5" pipes, showing a power and torque increase, but there's no sign of the like for their 3". Others have mentioned that any 3" system will result in loss of back pressure. So now I'm wondering what the difference in sound is between the two. I don't mind my stats staying about the same for a much better sound. If the 2.5" sounds the same or similar, though, it would be silly not to get the cheaper pipes that produce more power.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this?
Old 12-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #8

steeds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meinsamr View Post
That's crazy that you posted this just a few hours ago. I'm intake/exhaust shopping as I type this, and the sound of that AFE system is exactly what I was looking for. It seems like everything else makes these trucks sound like a 4-cyl import sedan (I'd use another term, but I don't want to offend). This easily has the best sound of any I've heard so far.

Thanks and congrats!

edit

Oh, my name is Ryan too, btw. lol

edit #2

Did you get the 2.5" or 3" pipes? I notice that AFE likes to display dyno charts for their 2.5" pipes, showing a power and torque increase, but there's no sign of the like for their 3". Others have mentioned that any 3" system will result in loss of back pressure. So now I'm wondering what the difference in sound is between the two. I don't mind my stats staying about the same for a much better sound. If the 2.5" sounds the same or similar, though, it would be silly not to get the cheaper pipes that produce more power.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this?
actually the place i got it from they said they had a AFE instock..which is mostly why i stayed with this brand and why i got it..they didn't give me an option so i got what they gave me ( the 3" pipe ) if your want more photos i can provide them...it does look good but if i'd a known there was almost a 100 difference from the 2.5 to 3" i'd a gotten the 2.5....but i def like it so far(aside their fuck up with the weld) but if you buy the same exhaust LOOK AT THE ANCHOR MOUNT AT THE SHOP ( when you open the box ) it'll save you time and grief.

im not sure the sound or performance from a 2.5 - 3" but i mean it's a catback...IF there's power it would be no more then even 5 hp...so to get a cat back and expect power is silly.haha
it's only been the first day with both on so im not able to justify power or fuel gain...but in a week or so i'd have a better answer. but PM if you want photos or videos..i'll have them quickly from my phone.

hope it helps you out.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
meinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud ofmeinsamr has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeds View Post
actually the place i got it from they said they had a AFE instock..which is mostly why i stayed with this brand and why i got it..they didn't give me an option so i got what they gave me ( the 3" pipe ) if your want more photos i can provide them...it does look good but if i'd a known there was almost a 100 difference from the 2.5 to 3" i'd a gotten the 2.5....but i def like it so far(aside their fuck up with the weld) but if you buy the same exhaust LOOK AT THE ANCHOR MOUNT AT THE SHOP ( when you open the box ) it'll save you time and grief.

im not sure the sound or performance from a 2.5 - 3" but i mean it's a catback...IF there's power it would be no more then even 5 hp...so to get a cat back and expect power is silly.haha
it's only been the first day with both on so im not able to justify power or fuel gain...but in a week or so i'd have a better answer. but PM if you want photos or videos..i'll have them quickly from my phone.

hope it helps you out.
Here's the chart for the 2.5" pipes from AFE's site.

2.5" product page

Almost 7 HP and over 7 ft-lbs gain at peak. That isn't much, but the gain is compounded if we find out that the bigger pipes actually result in a loss over stock. There's no sign of a chart on the 3" page.

3" product page

I'm not insanely worried about it. I'll take the sound over a few HP if the sound difference is pretty big, but that's why I'd like a 2.5" Tacoma clip, so I can compare. I guess I can look for another 4.0L V6 with 2.5" AFE pipes and guesstimate.

I'll look out for the weld, and thanks for the video/pic offer!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #10

steeds's Tacoma Gallery
even still i bought a catback exhaust for a slight change in sound, not power...so if it came with some sweet. if not, then i dont care really. haha
but thanks for the insight on it, it's pretty cool to know with the chart settings.
but yea 2.5 gives you power that you want and it's cheaper. i think around 3XX.XX pricing so do it up.

but really even still i dont think you'd notice a drastic change in 7 hp ( providing you gotten any)

but everyone you speak with will give you different answers...that intake/exhaust(catback) dont give you any gain....or some people will say they do..
but reguardless, it's all personal preferences and added touches to the truck to make it how you want.

the intake is def loud in the higher rpm(which is expected) and you wont get as much resistance with getting a catback or full exhaust by eliminating your cats.

but thats wicked.. maybe check out borla..they have wicked exhausts also but they were almost double the price of what i paid.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeds View Post
even still i bought a catback exhaust for a slight change in sound, not power...so if it came with some sweet. if not, then i dont care really. haha
but thanks for the insight on it, it's pretty cool to know with the chart settings.
but yea 2.5 gives you power that you want and it's cheaper. i think around 3XX.XX pricing so do it up.

but really even still i dont think you'd notice a drastic change in 7 hp ( providing you gotten any)

but everyone you speak with will give you different answers...that intake/exhaust(catback) dont give you any gain....or some people will say they do..
but reguardless, it's all personal preferences and added touches to the truck to make it how you want.

the intake is def loud in the higher rpm(which is expected) and you wont get as much resistance with getting a catback or full exhaust by eliminating your cats.

but thats wicked.. maybe check out borla..they have wicked exhausts also but they were almost double the price of what i paid.
The Borla ProXS sounded too raspy to me. It's very likely that I'll be getting the 3" AFE. I just like to comparison shop before I buy is all. lol I'll order them in a day or two if I don't come up with anything.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
Robotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roberto
Robotoco's Tacoma Gallery
i like your but for mine i was thinking aero turbine 2525 idk if you heard of it?
sounds really nice
Old 12-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #13

steeds's Tacoma Gallery
well the exhaust tip i dont recall but it is probably 3.5-4 inches, so it does will out pretty good but it's hit or miss..at first i didn't like how big the exhaust was but i think it grew on me. the sound in the cab at certain rpm is loud and annoying but really those arent long lasting so its do able and when your at cruising speed it's nice cause you can tell theres an exhaust on your truck but it's not anything crazy. haha i love hearing the exhaust so the past 2 days i've been driving with no radio on

and robotoco i've never heard of it no, but have a clip or link i can check out ?
always sweet to hear other exhausts.

i think the borla sounded good, the master flow seemed nice but only the 50 series...i do like mine now that i heard / own it...but def look up other companies and just try to get an idea from youtube i suppose ? but i hate trying to use youtube for that cause you get shitty audio given, go pros or video cameras or phones...so hard to get a correct idea of it.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
Robotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9TlEqwX7vA

couldn't but the vid up yours is a access cab rite theres more on youtube
Old 12-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #15

i guess i could lol
Old 12-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #16

steeds's Tacoma Gallery
oh ok ok that must be very similar to the magna flow off road series exhaust.
have you heard/seen that one ?

im not sure if i like that one much, just cause im mostly city driving with my truck and weekends are the play time if you know what i mean so for city driving, to me i see tickets and noise complains haha
Old 12-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #17

it's louder in lower rpms just see the vids on youtube, and in higher rpms it's not to loud
it has a meaty sound to it.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #18
floodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant futurefloodedkiwi has a brilliant future

Name: Ken
floodedkiwi's Tacoma Gallery
I have the TRD Cat back exhaust. I like the sound and its good at highway speeds, for me, not to loud, just right...
Old 12-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Check my username on youtube. I have the aero 2525 and am very happy with the sound. Its become pretty popular around here.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #20
Just thought I'd mention that I ordered the 3" AFE last night. I can't wait to hear it!

I'll be staying pretty busy over the next couple weeks once everything gets here. Exhaust, bed cover, removing and blacking out most of the hardware (anything chrome), having a body shop black out my tail lights, lift kit, electric tail gate lock, remote start, wheels...... I shutter to think at the labor cost if I had a shop do it all.