Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

So who runs an air tank?

Old 12-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
Pdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
Pdugan6's Tacoma Gallery
So who runs an air tank?

I have been looking into an getting a setup for my truck and am curious to see what other people are using? So what do you have and what do you like about it? This is what I'm going to go with...

Old 12-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The 10-lb Powertank is what I have. I did not get the mounting bracket but
I did get the Speed-bag. I don't wheel as much as I used to, so one charge lasts for a year. Works great.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
That would be great to have. Airs tires up so fast and keeps moisture out of them. And air tools can be run of course. That's a big plus. I'm considering it.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Pdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pdugan6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
The 10-lb Powertank is what I have. I did not get the mounting bracket but
I did get the Speed-bag. I don't wheel as much as I used to, so one charge lasts for a year. Works great.
Good to hear. This is definitely a pricey setup but man isn't it worth it?
Old 12-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #5

Pdugan6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
That would be great to have. Airs tires up so fast and keeps moisture out of them. And air tools can be run of course. That's a big plus. I'm considering it.
Ask Santa.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I got an aluminum 20lb co2 tank off craiglist for like $60. Still working on getting a regulator, hose, and finding a way to mount it so I don't have any experience with it yet lol. I've heard many good things about co2 tank setups from people that run them though.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Bought a Smittybilt 10lb tank.. starting leaking after a month or so. After some run around they sent a replacement valve assembly that was loose and look refurbished, then a comment on facebook and we had a new tank, no trouble yet. I would pony up the extra money for a Powertank.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #8
itsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
itsakeeper's Tacoma Gallery
diy beerstores have the CO2 tanks and can order the lower pressure regulator - 5,10 &20 lb - just an fyi
Old 12-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #9

Pdugan6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsakeeper View Post
diy beerstores have the CO2 tanks and can order the lower pressure regulator - 5,10 &20 lb - just an fyi

Yeah I had been toying around with the idea but I hear power tank is the best there is. Their regulators are guaranteed to never freeze up.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
You can see my tank and mounting system in my build.

I bought a 10lb tank locally and used the wheelers adjustable high flow regulator. Stay away from the low pressure regulators made for keg setups. They will freeze up if you try to air tires or run air tools.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
I got an aluminum 20lb co2 tank off craiglist for like $60. Still working on getting a regulator, hose, ...
Be wary of using old CO2 tanks and adding regulators, though. Shops that fill them may have to 'certify' it before they will fill it. I had to have that done (for an additional fee) even with my brand new PowerTank.

Not sure what they do, to check it.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 40lb. Nitrogen in the Jeep. Use it for air shocks, pneumatic tools and airing up. Wheel with guys with power tanks and they are fine, but I'll keep the nitrogen.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Be wary of using old CO2 tanks and adding regulators, though. Shops that fill them may have to 'certify' it before they will fill it. I had to have that done (for an additional fee) even with my brand new PowerTank.

Not sure what they do, to check it.
I think they have to be hydro tested or something like that. The guy told me about it when I bought it and he said the one he was selling me should be good for a few more years before it needs tested again. There should be a sticker on my tank but I can't remember now. Been a few months since I bought it.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
I know a few guys who run PowerTank systems. I went with on board air myself, tankless setup. I can air up from 12psi to 45psi in about 2.5 mins. Can do all 4's in less than 15mins. If I remember correctly the PowerTank setup was faster however, I dont have to refill my setup I would consider looking at on board air also.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
I run a 20 lb CO2 tank. It's a standard "beverage" tank with an adjustable regulator. As has been mentioned whether it's a name brand tank or not you will have to get the tank hydrotested if it hasn't been done already. The testing is good for 5 years IIRC and then needs to be redone.

CO2 is MUCH faster than just about any onboard air system using a compressor. You have to refill a CO2 tank but they last quite a while. I can get a year out of a single fill on my CO2 tank. I can fill my 33x12.50 from 10-30psi is less than a minute. I actually have two tanks and make sure that I always have a full one so in case one tank runs empty, I have a backup if I have a trip happening and don't have time to fill the other tank.

I prefer CO2 over a compressor/onboard system any day. Besides being faster its portable. If a buddy blows a bead 200 yards down the trail and you can't get your truck to him, you can carry a CO2 tank down there to reset the bead. Can't do that if you can't get the truck to him with a onboard system.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #16
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Love my c02 tank. I need to get a new regulator and hose though as my welding regulator can't keep up with the temps of c02 very well....
Old 12-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
10# in the truck and 15# on the trailer. Wheelers has some good deals on tanks and systems from time to time.

http://wheelersoffroad.com/product-c...d-air-systems/
Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #18
Mr.Gadget is on a distinguished road

Mr.Gadget's Tacoma Gallery
Have 2 10 pound power tanks in the K5 and a 5# in each of the Tacos and a 20 in the trailer.
Been using CO2 for about 25 years now and they are great setups, have run air tools, fill all 4 tires at one time with a regulator and splitter system. Easy for seating a bead or just about anything.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #19

Pdugan6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post

I prefer CO2 over a compressor/onboard system any day. Besides being faster its portable. If a buddy blows a bead 200 yards down the trail and you can't get your truck to him, you can carry a CO2 tank down there to reset the bead. Can't do that if you can't get the truck to him with a onboard system.

Great point^^
Old 12-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdugan6 View Post
Great point^^
This. And I also like the fact that I've kept a component of the truck off of the electrical system.