LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Husky Liners "X-act Contour Floor Liners" review (pic heavy)

Old 12-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Rt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
Rt1Box92A's Tacoma Gallery
Husky Liners "X-act Contour Floor Liners" review (pic heavy)

Husky Liners has recently expanded their "X-act Contour Floor Liners" product line to include the 2nd Gen Tacoma (http://www.huskyliners.com/X-act-Contour). There are two models for the fronts (2005-11 and 2012-14). There are rear mats available for double cabs, but none for access cabs.

Husky's website describes the X-act Contours as their 'premium series'. This is my review, focused on the X-act Contours versus the WeatherTechs:

In my Tacoma, I have used the factory TRD carpet mats, the Toyota 'all weather' floor mats, WeatherTech DigitalFit, and now Husky X-act Contours. Past vehicle's floor mats included Nifty (Lund) Catch-all, some unknown brand of heavy rubber mats from Costco, and many others I have forgotten. The two areas used for past mats were San Diego, and Vancouver Washington. San Diego is primarily dry, with mostly gritty dirt. Vancouver, for me, was mostly wet... wet and cold, wet and slushy, wet and muddy, mildly wet and wet, wet and humid. These experiences are what I base my opinions on...

The X-act Contours have a supple, rubbery feel when handled. They hold their shape well, and rebound quickly to their molded shape when folded. The top surface has numerous semi-deep ridges molded in to catch gunk, while the bottom side has carpet-grabbing nibs. For my dry climate, I believe this system will work very well in holding job-site type dirt and debris. If I was in a muddy or snow slushy area (and knew I would track gunk inside the cab with me), than I think the WeatherTechs have the advantage with their relatively smoother surface. The WeatherTech design works well, where gunk can be quickly scooped out with a cupped hand.

The X-act Contours overall fit in the Tacoma is superior to the WeatherTechs, with a slight gap along the transmission tunnel on the driver-side mat. The driver's mat lays flat against the floorboard as it slopes towards the firewall, with no issue with the clutch pedal interference. The passenger-side mat was a tight fit on all sides, and no gaps. The appearance was very much an exact, finished fit.

The driver-side mat held about 8oz (one half a water bottle) before install, while laying flat on the garage floor. I didn't do this test while installed. (No photos.) Based on my memory, I think the WeatherTechs had higher sides, and the 'apron' over the door sill extended further than the X-act Contours. I think for 'total floor coverage' and gunk-holding capacity, this one goes to WeatherTech.

The install itself was unexpected. As the song goes, "I went to put in the bolts and all the holes were gone". The retainer system doesn't use the factory carpet grommets, but instead uses what Husky calls 'carpet screws'. The 'carpet screws' twist into the factory carpet well back of the grommets (along the floor-pan ridge at the front edge of the seat.) The mat is installed over the screw, and a retainer cap then threads onto the top of the 'carpet screw', effectively pinning the mat between the top of the screw, and beneath the cap. This system is superior to WeatherTeachs hooks, which I tended to not use as it was a PITA to pull the mat out, just for a quick shake out.

While driving, the 'feel' of the X-act Contours rubberized surface under the heel is more natural than the WeatherTechs 'slippery' plastic feel. Based on past experiences, I expect the drivers heel-area will show wear quickly.

Pricing for the X-act Contours averaged between $77-$94 (at time of review.) WeatherTechs compared from between $90 to $127. Due to popularity, the durability of plastic and a known resale market, I think the WeatherTechs are (currently) a better dollar value.

My final answer for which is better, is 'it depends'... for me, my answer is the Husky X-act Contour because it looks and feels good, it works best for my environment, and the way I use my truck as a daily driver and construction work vehicle. If you live a lifestyle where the 'outside' frequently comes 'inside' with you, then I would give the WeatherTech a close look.

If you have experience with the X-act Contours, please feel free to add your opinions.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome Review! Thanks.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
tacocons is on a distinguished road
Name: hwmia
tacocons's Tacoma Gallery
Can you buy just the driver's side mat
Old 04-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
MarAgt will become famous soon enoughMarAgt will become famous soon enough
Marines: Master Sergeant (Ret)
MarAgt's Tacoma Gallery
Great review. I've had Husky liners in a couple of jeeps before and really liked them. A buddy has Weathertechs in his Tundra and I am not impressed with them (neither is he). These X-act Contours look to fit much better than the Weathertechs and cover more area.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
puddin15 is on a distinguished road
puddin15's Tacoma Gallery
I have Weathertechs in my Mazda and these Husky liners in my Tacoma. Hands down the Husky liners are a much better product. I can't stand how the Weathertechs are hard plastic and don't quite fit perfectly to the car. They also do not have anything to hold them to the carpet so they constantly move around. The Husky liners on the other hand have the rubber "nipples" on the bottoms of the mats so they stay in place.

The only issue I ran into was the clutch pedal would just barely hit the mat when I first installed them. Every once in a while the truck would not start as the clutch was not fully engaged. Now that the liners are worn in, the issue went away.

Products Discussed in this Thread