Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

AFE Cat back exhaust rant.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
steeds is on a distinguished road

Name: ryan
steeds's Tacoma Gallery
AFE Cat back exhaust rant.

yep well the AFE exhaust pissed me off all day!!! they didn't even weld it correctly..one of the anchors was welded wrong...(it was lower/90 degrees from where it should have been)
sooooooooo i brought it to the place i bought it from and they had to cut the anchor and then make/reweld a new one to replace it!!!!

the intake i bought with it better not go wrong or i'll be even more pissed with them.

when i called AFE headcourters they said that it wasn't fully tested and were sorry...well geee, if you do not have it done right, why would you sell it to people !!!!!!

just have photos of where they cut it/with the new anchor and exhaust back on/side view to see the proper way the anchor should have been welded on ( facing towards the front of the truck, not 90 degrees to the right side of the truck.
a short incab sound of the truck..not the best cause it was on my phone but you'll be able to get the idea.
aside from the hick up from them, the exhaust does sound good and isn't loud in the cab unless your at certain rpms...which would be typical i'd think with different brands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkZMiHOcow0
Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #4

steeds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe98 View Post
Shit, looks like it is the same issue on mine. I am about to get ticked.

Even the instructional handout has it wrong on the diagram.

wow thats such a piss off..i heard alot of this company but not so much for negative.
so for yours they welded it on wrong like mine and they added another one haha
think that maybe they might have sent you a different one or they are fucking morons.

but it was a quick fix, i just went to the company where i bought it and they fixed the problem.
good luck haha
tell me how it goes.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
na8rboy has a spectacular aura aboutna8rboy has a spectacular aura aboutna8rboy has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Name: Mark
na8rboy's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota changed that hang location from 12 to 13. So that exhaust would work on a 12 fine. This is why you guys are having this problem, afe never updated it, or there trying to sell off leftover stock.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
Love moding vehicles as hobby
Pepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud of

Air Force: 24 yrs of Service
Name: Paul
Pepe98's Tacoma Gallery
Thus why mine has two, to cover all years. Kind of a screwed up shortcut on their end but it works I guess and since it's underneath, only mechanics will see. Knowing my type A persona I will take the 30 seconds with a cutting wheel and get rid of the old one.

aFe still has a good rep and their stuff is pretty squared away. You know the TRD intake is the same as the one we have on ours. Just put the TRD mark on it for Toy.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #7

steeds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by na8rboy View Post
Toyota changed that hang location from 12 to 13. So that exhaust would work on a 12 fine. This is why you guys are having this problem, afe never updated it, or there trying to sell off leftover stock.
...clearly. haha
Old 01-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #8

steeds's Tacoma Gallery
i wanted a new intake so i got one..can care less if it was the same or not.
plus afe actually sent me a new filter for the intake..not like it would do much...only saved me maybe 30 bucks..but it was nice of them to offer.

still it's a year after the truck has come out...get your act together guys, how many other exhaust have they fucked up haha
i never would have thought they would have mine fucked up..let alone after im sure others including myself gave them input, that they would have this problem with yours also.

sucks but when it's all said and done, i like the exhaust and sound forsure.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
R61988 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nick
R61988's Tacoma Gallery
Well to add to this topic. I just bought my AFE 2.5" Mach Force Cat back. For my '13 Tacoma And sure and shit once I was installing parts my rear hanger had the same prob. Had to take it to shop to weld a new hanger that was pointing right direction. I tighten the clamps as much as I could and the rear pipe was still spinning at the muffler connection. So had to spot weld both connections to prevent the pipes from spinning. 😐
Overall awesome sound little notice in power. Not to loud and not too quiet. Just a good exhaust system. Well besides the hanger fuck up. Ha
Old 03-28-2014, 04:37 AM   #10
Love moding vehicles as hobby
Pepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud ofPepe98 has much to be proud of

Air Force: 24 yrs of Service
Name: Paul
Pepe98's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I could add pages of problems with the customer service and attention to detail in their engineering and marketing departments. AFe in the corporate structure lacks integrity and flat out lied to me, and now, after months of trying to correct this issue, I have gotten no where. Once I got a few Tacoma's lined up, they flat out stopped communicating with me.

So now I am going after them via my attorney, BBB (of which they are not members and have a bismal record on), etc. i have a few models/ makes of sport and muscle cars and thought I would give aFe a try.

I am not saying their products are crap, in fact I like them once I fix their engineering mistakes. What I can not, and will not tolerate is a lack of integrity in the business model and employees. So,I will do what I can to help others out by getting the word out there.

If you don't mind getting a product that you pay a lot of your hard earned cash on, then have it have problems, try and work it professionally through their customer service, get lied to and then told to send it back to the company you bought it through 3 or 4 months later who had NO fault, then aFe is just your kind of company. There are plenty of other companies I would rather give my business to who make comparable or better products.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #11
crusader1 is on a distinguished road

Navy: F8E "Crusader" Fighter Pilot
Name: Al
crusader1's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Cat-Back Artwork

Sorry all you guys are having such difficulty with your cat-back systems. I feel I really lucked out by reading of AERO Exhaust via this Forum, and acting on it. Working with "Jordan," I ordered his #2525 for my '06 PreRunner Extended Cab V6, and couldn't be happier with the quality, looks and sound of it.

The massive clamps were the only unpolished part, so I flicked on the buffer wheel, grabbed the stick of SS polish and had them reflective in short order.
The whole system glows like a jewel under my refurbished undercarriage, and I still haven't replaced the spare (getting powdercoated), tow hitch assembly (Rhino-coated) or rear bumper...I really like the view under there!

Another TWF tip led me to "Level 8" wheels at DiscountTireOnline, so their 17x8.5 "Punch" in Anthracite/machined are on the way. Working on the 5-piece billet grille assembly, now, and planning to powdercoat the calipers "Ferrari Red" and blast the drums for black caliper spray.

You guys have lit a fuse I can't extinguish, and I really treasure this site.
Muchas gracias, Amigos!
Attached Thumbnails
AFE Cat back exhaust rant.-img_2067.jpg   AFE Cat back exhaust rant.-img_2112.jpg   AFE Cat back exhaust rant.-img_2043.jpg   AFE Cat back exhaust rant.-img_2113.jpg   AFE Cat back exhaust rant.-img_2084.jpg  

Old 09-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #12

steeds's Tacoma Gallery
nice nice,
yeah other then the fuck up with the hanger, the company and product/sound is great. i still love the sounds of the intake/exhaust.
i've had it on close to a year and no problems.. I'm glad that AFE sent me a new filter as after 40,000km with that filter,rather then cleaning it i'll just throw the old one away and put the new one one. quick and easy.
but yes i still do enjoy both products from AFE. soon to be more mods, just unsure as of now what to get.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #13
papabear is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: ET-First Class
papabear's Tacoma Gallery
AFE Cat back

Installed a Banks Cat Back on my new 2014 Taco. Shop that did it was hesitant at first since he has had so many problems with other kits. Installed the Banks and was very impressed with the fit. Took less than an hour. Took a while to get used to the V6 sound verses a V8 and my last truck, a Dodge diesel. Not sure about any changes in performance as it only had around 100 miles on it. MPH continues to improve.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
Sgt Jmack is on a distinguished road
Marines: Sgt DAV/VFW
Name: Jeremiah
Sgt Jmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
Installed a Banks Cat Back on my new 2014 Taco. Shop that did it was hesitant at first since he has had so many problems with other kits. Installed the Banks and was very impressed with the fit. Took less than an hour. Took a while to get used to the V6 sound verses a V8 and my last truck, a Dodge diesel. Not sure about any changes in performance as it only had around 100 miles on it. MPH continues to improve.
MPH or MPG improving?
Old 09-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #15

steeds's Tacoma Gallery
your fuel got better ?! i wish. and i didn't notice any power change in mine..if anything there is a bit of a delay when i hammer on the gas, but then it kicks in to make it seem like there is more..but I'm not sure.

i wonder if my back pressure if off because my exhaust now is a 3" instead of 2" or 2.5" ? anything know if this could be possible ?
Old 09-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #16
Sgt Jmack is on a distinguished road
Marines: Sgt DAV/VFW
Name: Jeremiah
Sgt Jmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeds View Post
your fuel got better ?! i wish. and i didn't notice any power change in mine..if anything there is a bit of a delay when i hammer on the gas, but then it kicks in to make it seem like there is more..but I'm not sure.

i wonder if my back pressure if off because my exhaust now is a 3" instead of 2" or 2.5" ? anything know if this could be possible ?
Did you have your computer tuned to let it know you made changes to the intake and exhaust?